LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie looking at 2006 LR3 w/80k miles, any input?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Newbie looking at 2006 LR3 w/80k miles, any input?

Hi everyone - first post ever on this forum, but hope to contribute more in the future.

I'm looking at a 2006 LR3 with 80k miles on it (this one: Cars for Sale: 2006 Land Rover LR3 SE in Rolling Meadows, IL 60008: Sport Utility Details - 377555386 - Autotrader)

Here's what I'm looking for: a dependable engine, 4x4 (I live in WI), and a decent looking vehicle. I don't care so much about sunroofs, navigation, and all the extra hubbub. I just want a 4x4 vehicle I can drive 200k and throw mulch bags, 2x4's, and my black lab in the back without worrying about scuffing the interior. If the sunroof breaks, or the airshock goes, I'm OK with that as long as I can still drive it.

Would this fit the bill? What are everyone's experiences? Thanks so much in advance!

Sorry, forgot to add, every single person I talk to says to stay away from LR3's because they're "so much money to repair and blah blah blah blah," but then I go online to places like carsguru and edmonds, and every user review is great (minus the one's complaining about gas mileage, what did you expect?), so I'm a little confused.

Last edited by kid A; 06-10-2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added
Old 06-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Admittedly the LR3 requires some extra attention to maintain, but they are awesome capable vehicles.

The one issue you'll have with that lab is the fact his hair will stick to the headliner, and elsewhere he rubs on. Most of it will come off with the vacuum and line roller. Ask me how I know..

My issue would be with the V6, I would only get a V8. Don't expect a mileage improvement for that reason. I would also try the southwest to avoid vehicles that have some rust on them.

There are a few, very few vehicles with a metal roof I did see one here in town, so I know they exist here. 150k and still going here..

Good luck with your search.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the input. Should I be wary of LR3's for sale with over 100k miles? Other than the V6, anything else I should know for my first LR?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

New LR3 owner myself, just bought at the end of April. For reference, mine had 75K miles (HSE trim) for 1K more than that list price. Had a CEL for a lean condition that couldn't be corrected (even after they dumped new MAF and PCV valve into it).

Got it home and a new air filter, good throttle body cleaning, can of sea foam, and a hard ECU reset corrected that and no CEL after 1,000 miles. For maintenance, its just like any vehicle... parts cost X, labor cost Y.. and if you can take care of Y yourself you are in great shape

I never drove a V6, but I can't imagine this setup with nearly 100 less HP. So far, I love this thing and highway cruising is nearly as good as my 4cyl subaru on fuel. Looking forward to taking ours down to the outer banks and driving on the 4X4 beaches. Hope you find one that suits your needs

Last edited by Boulderhead; 06-25-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

I bought a similar '06 3 back in September of last year, and it has been pretty sweet since (It had 73k, now 80k).

The seat folding setup makes it great for moving stuff around. If you're going to be doing that and don't want to screw up the carpeting (the plastic interior pieces between the headliner and the floor are pretty durable), you might want to hunt for the rubber boot mats on ebay OR find a dog guard that you can put in. Some Canadian company makes a good one I just dropped in, I think its North American Custom Covers? Essentially a vinyl mat, pretty inexpensive

First thing I did buying mine was new fluids and filters. Check the sunroof drain tubes and clean/trim the tubes. Oil change came shortly after. Change the T-shaped bleeder valve for the coolant system either with the OEM part or a brass equivalent (more $$$). Change the PCV valve if you feel like it. Will do belts soon. Changed the windshield cowl (seems they all start to cup badly after a few years). Diff fluids should be changed at 75k.

I went a little overboard but I had a laundry list of heading off future issues now. Drives great, get the diffs checked, hopefully your EPB doesn't break, and fingers crossed your lower control arm bushings are still good for a while. You'll start to like the doodads they put in them, despite me moaning that north america remains a luxury market for LR. Lots of stuff is logically put together, easy to get to. Seat heaters are a godsend in the winter.

Hasn't left me stranded yet. Love the thing.

(whoever mentioned the sunroof-less models, +1). Sunroof is cool but not really worth the multitude of problems if they're uncared-for. Not a huge deal.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I would not be Leary of a 100k V8, and you can kind of tell if it has been taken care of or not. A can of sea foam every couple of months, or Techron every 2-3 months will ensure less trouble with sensors, and such.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by unseenone
I would not be Leary of a 100k V8, and you can kind of tell if it has been taken care of or not. A can of sea foam every couple of months, or Techron every 2-3 months will ensure less trouble with sensors, and such.
You all are such a huge help. Thank you!

Couple more questions (if you please):

1. How can you tell if it's been taken care of?

2. I'm a pretty handy guy. Is this a case where if you have the repair manual, you're good to go (minus getting the parts)? I don't have a lift or anything, but probably could use someones around here.

3. Now looking at a 2005 V8 with 109k. Any major issues/differences between 2005 and 2006?

Thanks again!!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Depending on who you buy it from... it will get dressed up to look well cared for. Take a screw driver with you and pop out the engine air filter. Also, take a look at the cabin filter and get under it checking CV boots for tears, and look for any fluid leaks on the under carriage.

These little things that go unattended likely mean that bigger more expensive things went unattended as well.

The little time I spent underneath this has been enjoyable and you can get lots of clearance out of a set of ramps. 2005 was the release year... so maybe some software updates on the newer models assuming previous owner didn't have it done.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I agree with Boulderhead. You go look at a car in the lot, it's been spit polished, but pull off a cover, or look with it is not easy to wipe off to see how bad it really was before it was cleaned, thing-- lift the rear passenger seats is it clean, is the cowl warped over the air cleaner, any sign of previous water ingress (love that term) just say "leak" you cowards.. and so on.

I'll give you an example of an LR3 listed for sale here a while back. It was a shop repo, ie: the customer didn't pick it up. It had gotten a new transmission. The price was kind of high, but I went to look at it for a friend. We drove it, the diffs were howling (not a concern for me, but nonetheless) price it accordingly. Each and every latch in the vehicle was broken, glove boxes, gas filler, and so on and so forth. The suspension bushings were shot, etc. So I wasn't really thrilled with it, but knew what it was worth. The guy pushed for me to make an offer, and then was offended when I offered 5k, and listed 8k worth of work it needed. So, don't know what happened but someone probably got suckered.

Walk, or run from a vehicle that has obviously been abused and not taken care of. Chances are, everything else in it was equally neglected.

As for as 2005 vs 2006, I don't believe there are any major differences. I have a 2005, and it's fine. I haven't had problems other than all the ones you'll find discussed on this board. If you are proactive, which obviously you are or you would not be here asking questions first, and handy, you should be fine. Things go wrong, transmissions go, stuff like that, but it's not the norm, some will some won't.. who knows why..

Old 06-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks everyone. Wonderful group of people here.

I'm trying to make a checklist of what to look for if I go look at LRs:

1. CV Boots
2. Air Filter
3. Cab Filter
4. Test air shock settings
5. Sunroof? What do I need to look for there? Leaks?

What else?

I'd love to be able to go in with a list and respective fix costs to give me some leverage on price.

Also (and I've posted this question in "off topic" as well), has anyone ever done a fly and drive? I fear I'll fly out, look at the thing, and have wasted money flying there. Obviously will try and get as much info upfront as possible before flying.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking at 2006 LR3 w/80k miles, any input?