LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:51 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Cruise Control

Hey all,

Hoping you may be able to shed some light on an issue I'm having on my 2007 LR3 SE. About 5-6 months ago I started having very intermittent cruise control inop issues. Hit the button on the steering wheel and I wouldn't get the cruise to set, no lights, and no fail messages on the control panel. Well it's gradually got worst and actually it's a rarity that the cruise control engages at all. Tried shutting it down and re-start, it just doesn't matter.

Unfortunately I haven't cracked the DA-vincy code on the repair manuals for this year and model, so I'm unfamiliar with component location and nomenclature, but I do understand it is a vacuum driven system. If any of you may have encountered typical places to start or problem areas, I would greatly appreciate you sharing!

On a side note, I started reading about some ECS messages and wheel speed sensor failures due to tire rub. Which brought to mind about the same time frame I tossed on brand new set of 265 width tires on and they do have a slight rub when in full wheel deflection. I plan on pulling the tires off this weekend and taking a look around the wheel wells.

Last edited by JetDoc; 08-05-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

There was a recall or TSB (I don't recall) related to the CC clockspring. Did you get that work completed? You could try spraying some compressed air into the buttons....

The following users liked this post:
JetDoc (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

When you press the top button, does it do anything at all? or just radio silence when it doesn't work...

My cruise has been funky from the start -- with the bottom -cancel- button. When I press it, occasionally it exclaims on the dash that cruise control unavailable or something.

I've found simply stopping it with the brake it will work every time with no issue, but for whatever reason, occasionally if I forget and hit cancel on the wheel, it disables it.

I suspect the clockspring behind the wheel -- that's what causes problems in every other vehicle in the planet when steering wheel buttons/horn doesn't work... though, being rover, it's probably that my right rear blinker is low on fluid.

DaveM

JetDoc (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 11:24 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Houm-wa - I have no idea IF the work had been done to the clockspring, I've only had the rig since Jan. By spraying compressed air into the 'buttons,' do you mean the selection buttons on the steering wheel, or the contacts on this clockspring? From what I've read this clockspring transfers the inputs from the steering wheel to the base of the column. Is this easily accessed, for cleaning or replacement?

Ghaniba - When it fails I don't get anything, no message, no lights, everything else on the wheel seems to work and on the rare occasion I do get it to work, it speeds up, down and disengages w/ their respective buttons. The only thing on the wheel that is inop is the top cruise engage button.

I have contact cleaner at the house, anyone ever try hosing down the buttons w/ that?

And THANKS A BUNCH for both of your quick replies!

Old 08-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Camel Trophy

I just meant compressed air on the buttons that are on the steering wheel. Just an idea...proceed with caution. That stuff gets really cold, too...

Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the same problem-- and the original factory recall work was done, it later failed again. Cruise sometimes activates, most time not, and never deactivates with the switch.. I figure it's the clock spring. Could be the switch as well... but clock spring is more expensive, that must be it... LOL

Ghaniba (08-06-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 11:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Hmmm....I should try mine! I haven't tried to engage cruise control in about 5 years I figure.

unseenone (08-06-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Steering wheel radio volume buttons work?

The odds are your cruise control messages relate to the clockspring but ...

I assume you have the radio volume up down button on the steering wheel as well. If so, does it seem to work OK? Yes, there are a number of circuits within the clockspring so some it them working and some of them not is quite possible, hence the radio volume rocker switch operating OK may still mask a clockspring problem.

What caused the recall was the clockspring provides signal to the steering wheel airbag and hence airbag concern, (SRS), messages were showing up on the display which LR was not allowed to ignore.

Consider replacing the brake light switch - a brake light switch that is going defective can show up as a cruise control message - particularly when the weather gets cooler; by cooler, I tend to mean -20F rather than 65F. Also look at your brake and signal light bulbs - are they working, and even if so, are all bulbs genuine or are any far east sourced?

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Brake Light Switch Replacement

unseenone (08-16-2015)
Old 04-26-2021, 05:23 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise control intermittent faukt

I had the same issue
replaced the clock spring. Nothing
replaced the brake pedal sw nothing
turns out it was the plug from the steering wheel switch’s to the clock spring.
made the connections tighter by squeezing the metal slightly. Solved.

bbyer (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Another miracle - fix found!

Originally Posted by Arthur Koole
I had the same issue
replaced the clock spring. Nothing
replaced the brake pedal sw nothing
turns out it was the plug from the steering wheel switch’s to the clock spring.
made the connections tighter by squeezing the metal slightly. Solved.
Where is this plug located - within the steering wheel so one has to remove the air bag etc or accessible from under the dash?

The fix sounds so Land Rover - it costs nothing but finding the problem takes years.
You are definitely qualified to own and drive a Land Rover - to keep one running, that is the test - well done and thanks for letting us know.

Mostly all we read about is problems - not solutions.