LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not shifting properly

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not shifting properly

Hi I just purchased a 2005 lr3 hse......it doesn't seem to shift into 5th or 6th...in auto mode.....i can shift in sport mode....i noticed this on the highway....as my rpms were over 3000...and is also sluggish taking off...ive only had this thing for 2 days

Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

How many miles on this. Purchased from a dealer?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 PM
4th Gear

there are 112kms on this....not from a lr dealer....i didn't notice in the test drive as i didn't really go far on the highway.......they are 4 hrs away from where i live....i called them and not really getting the answers i want to hear......they told me to go for a 10k ride in sports mode then go back to auto...and it should fix itself....but its still doing it.....still waiting for a reply from them.....just curious as what it could be.....as for the hesitation...i was gonna try some seafoam....i love this machine......but i want it working as it should

Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I would strongly suggest considering fitting a metal transmission pan, and changing the transmission fluid. It would be best to change differential, transfer case fluid as well.

I would have the dealer update all of the software. This should include Engine, Transmission, transfer case, etc. This will also require a transfer case recalibration. As a side benefit things should be back to normal if there is no transmission problem. It will take time for the computer to allegedly learn your driving habits.

I have never heard of this sport mode story, I can not see how bypassing a gear completely is going to fix it. Sport mode essentially lowers everything by 1 gear.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 PM
4th Gear

The engine hesitating was the air filter being completely plugged i blew it out and it rad a lot better....and ordered a new one..which i replaced......as far as the shifting goes......it seems not to go to 5 or 6 going uphill or when the trans in under strain.....but on a downhill seems fine....but it still revs over 4g in uphill and wont shift unless i put in sport mode and shift myself......

Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That's pretty normal, as the vehicle weighs 3 tons. I did notice a positive change in the shifting patters when I updated the with the latest software. I also noticed an improvement in general when I changed the fluid.

The transmission is a ZF and their lifeguard 6 fluid is only rated for 75k miles. If you don't change it, let me know when you need a transmission, and I can help you out and save you some money.

As far as 5th 6ths... try feathering off the gas and it will shift up, but I wouldn't stress about it much. The last software update seems to have caused the shifting at lower RPMS, better on hills as well. But that's what gears are for.

Last edited by unseenone; 03-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

its possible the transmission is damaged in the upper gears. no matter what those higher gears are supposed to shift irregardless. You can try an entire transmission flush and an update but doubt either will work.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unseenone
That's pretty normal, as the vehicle weighs 3 tons. I did notice a positive change in the shifting patters when I updated the with the latest software. I also noticed an improvement in general when I changed the fluid.

The transmission is a ZF and their lifeguard 6 fluid is only rated for 75k miles. If you don't change it, let me know when you need a transmission, and I can help you out and save you some money.

As far as 5th 6ths... try feathering off the gas and it will shift up, but I wouldn't stress about it much. The last software update seems to have caused the shifting at lower RPMS, better on hills as well. But that's what gears are for.
Don't mean to hijack, but I've got an LR3 with 78K miles. I read on these forums that a transmission flush would be good about now for both wear/tear, longevity and gas mileage. Called up Land Rover or Orland Park (Chicago Suburb) and the technician said that the tranny should be good for 10 years, 100k milles before a flush/exchange. Now you're saying the fluid is only good for 75k, making me think I might as well get it done for posterity's sake.

But at $699.99, it ain't cheap.

On the flip side, after telling the tech that I just bought it used, he said they do a complete inspection for free to let you know about potential issues. It's an obvious up-selling tactic, but at the same time there's a reason for preventative maintenance as it saves money in the long run.

I haven't had any tranny problems, shifts fine in regular and sport mode so I don't know if it's much ado about nothing.

In your particular case, a tranny flush might be the best option, since it's way chepaer than major tranny work or replacement, plus it can't hurt. The high shift RPM might not be that big of a deal. I didn't see what engine you had; V6 or V8? The 6 would most likely rev higher before shifting since it's not making as much HP/Lb-ft as a V8 would at lower RPM. I have a 4cyl Kia Sorento as a work car and it was waaaayyyy under powered and revved like a GXSR when I tired to go up a hill.

Food for thought...

Last edited by ghengis86; 03-16-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The statement is poorly phrased. I will restate and say. These transmissions fail. Not every owner is going to have a problem like they will with differentials, but there will be a percentage of folks with problems.

If you shift in to sport mode, it instantly downshifts 1 gear range. I believe that sport mode does not use 6th gear. So you are not going to see the gear you were in, but one gear lower. Check your RPM gauge if you doubt this.

To get a bit more specific on servicing, please read this memo from ZF to all their parts distributors.

It has come to our attention there is confusion in the field regarding service intervals and fluid recommendations for ZF 5HP and 6HP applications.

ZF has promoted lifetime service for many 5HP and 6HP factory filled transmissions. Lifetime is not clearly defined and each OEM manufacture has there own philosophy. ZF stands behind lifetime recommendation where listed in the vehicle operator’s manual. ZF engineered and tested our fluids to retain its characteristics through normal lifetime operating conditions. However, a spirited driving style, special environmental considerations and other individual driving factors may place higher than normal loads on transmission fluids. To assure proper operation it is advisable to perform a drain and fill at 100,000km/62,000 miles or eight years.

Due to the complexity of operation, high output of current engine offerings and the expectation drivers place on their ZF equipped vehicles ZF only endorses the use of ZF Lifeguard Fluids and parts or OEM approved fluids and parts. Fluids and parts not approved for use by ZF or the original equipment manufacturers have not been tested and may not meet the required demands. Use of these fluids or parts will void factory warranties and warranties placed on aftermarket transmissions remanufactured by ZF. The use of any fluid additives is prohibited as the result will unpredictably change fluid properties potentially resulting in transmission failure.

Some fluids previously recommended were factory fill or available only in the European market. To simplify obtaining the correct recommended fluids ZF now offers Lifguardfluid5, Lifeguardfluid6 and Lifeguardfluid8.

Finally there are some customers that feel the need to perform a transmission oil service as part of their regular maintenance. Changing the fluid more often is entirely their decision. Properly performed oil service will not damage the transmission. Most problems occur due to improper refill procedures, incorrect fluid and or non OE parts or with transmissions that already have a drivability problem. Use of ZF or OE parts and fluid is strongly recommended for best results,

Last edited by unseenone; 03-17-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Did you ever figure this problem out? I have a 2006 RR sport doing the same thing. Shifts up to 4th gear in Auto but not beyond. In Sport mode I can manually shift to 5 and 6. Thanks

Quick Reply: not shifting properly