Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Not so ugly Dash Mat (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/not-so-ugly-dash-mat-82109/)

GBR.R 12-19-2016 10:29 PM

Not so ugly Dash Mat

So think I am going to need a dash Mat for my Cracked Dash. Are there any out there that don't look like your putting Lipstick on a Pig? I really hate them but hate the cracks more, anyone?

uoflcardfan77 12-22-2016 09:20 PM

I got mine from Dash Care | Custom Dashboard Covers - Materials & Colors

Mine is the Dash Tech. Would prefer to not have to have one but I have the cracked dash and this was the best looking one I could find.

Columbiar 12-25-2016 11:34 PM

Alla

Originally Posted by uoflcardfan77 (Post 588918)
I got mine from Dash Care Custom Dashboard Covers - Materials & Colors

Mine is the Dash Tech. Would prefer to not have to have one but I have the cracked dash and this was the best looking one I could find.

Is it possible to just gat a new dash? Or just prohibitedly expensive?

uoflcardfan77 12-26-2016 11:20 AM

You can buy a new dash. I don't know whether the later ones solved the cracking problem. There's a used one on ebay right now for $679.00. But $679 > $50, so . . .

GBR.R 01-01-2017 03:18 PM

LRNA have given me $500 compensation to use for servicing or parts so will be investigating what I am going to do going forward. Don't think a used part is the way forward. Will probably look at ordering a new replacement and the find someone with experience with fitting a dash as my local main dealer is unwilling to do the job due to unknown damage that could be caused.

Columbiar 01-02-2017 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by GBR.R (Post 590008)
LRNA have given me $500 compensation to use for servicing or parts so will be investigating what I am going to do going forward. Don't think a used part is the way forward. Will probably look at ordering a new replacement and the find someone with experience with fitting a dash as my local main dealer is unwilling to do the job due to unknown damage that could be caused.

Are you the original owner to get this from Land Rover?

GBR.R 01-03-2017 09:35 PM

Hi no second owner, so LR doing a good thing.

Columbiar 01-03-2017 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by GBR.R (Post 590419)
Hi no second owner, so LR doing a good thing.

Ya, no kidding. That is really good. Did you go through a dealer or straight to LRNA?

Scope 01-04-2017 05:15 PM

Following this!

cmb6s 01-04-2017 08:14 PM

Just as an FYI here:

I bought my car used 3.5 years ago. At that time it has some cracking around the airbags, but nothing more. From that moment on, I used Aerospace 303 on the dash at every cleaning. I've had good results with that stuff in the past and I like that it isn't greasy and doesn't attract extra dust, etc.

Anyway, the cracking around the airbag continued to get larger and longer. I figured that it was already split, so this was bound to happen. Then, I ended up having to have my windshield replaced due to a rock breaking the heating element. During the replacement process, they must have stressed the dash enough to cause two cracks in the flat part of the dash surface, close to the windshield.

Okay... I said to myself that I could live with that and that it probably happened just due to the stress of changing the windshield. However, I sicced my ferocious asian wife on LRNA (she can usually get anything accomplished - e.g. she got LRNA to replace a bad cat on her Range Rover that failed literally 3 days out of warranty). Unfortunately, the best deal she could get in this case was that they would split the cost with me for a new dash if had the dealer install it. After seeing the prices quoted around this forum, I figured $1000 (my share) for a new dash... maybe I'll do it. However, when I went to the dealer, they quoted me something astronomical like $3500 total or something. At that point, I said "no way." I can live with the cracking especially since I don't know whether they have fixed the problem with newer materials.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when we got a cold snap here. I walked out one morning to find a brand new crack, smack dab in the middle of my dash. There was no previous stressor on the dash, no prior cracking in that area, it didn't happen at or around a corner. It was LITERALLY right in the middle of my dash! WTF?!? At that moment, I decided that there is no way I would even plop down $1000 for a new dash realizing that I would probably face the same problems... so I ordered a dash mat. :( I'll try to post a review when it comes.