LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nuts and bolts question - 2007 LR3

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021 | 11:48 AM
|
4wd High
Default Nuts and bolts question - 2007 LR3

First time caller, long time listener...

I am in the middle of replacing the cooling system hoses on my 2007 LR3. While putting him back together, the metal insert the bolt screws into has I guess weekend over time and now just turns inside the hole, so now the whole thing turns and won't allow me to tighten.

This has happened to me replacing a fuel injector and is currently happening with the intake elbow/intake manifold.

is there a fix for this or do I need to replace the entire intake manifold?

I am grateful for this site and thankful to all that post!

I'll hang up and listen.

JAC

What is the hole insert called?

Old 04-07-2021 | 12:09 PM
Drifting

Hey again, Julian, the insert I circled in the other post and THIS insert would require very different repair methods. Is this the insert that is spinning or is it the brass colored insert above it and to the left (in the black plastic) that's spinning? If it's this one, you've likely stripped the threads and to repair would likely require drilling the hole out, re-tapping, and using a helical insert... likely a much more involved process than replacing a heat-set insert, like the brass ones in the air intake manifold.

Old 04-07-2021 | 12:17 PM
|
4wd High

Originally Posted by evsteroo
Hey again, Julian, the insert I circled in the other post and THIS insert would require very different repair methods. Is this the insert that is spinning or is it the brass colored insert above it and to the left (in the black plastic) that's spinning? If it's this one, you've likely stripped the threads and to repair would likely require drilling the hole out, re-tapping, and using a helical insert... likely a much more involved process than replacing a heat-set insert, like the brass ones in the air intake manifold.
It's definitely the one in your picture. Mine is three out of the four. Is it just due to age? Would it, at the end of the day, be better to replace the intake or do the repair? As you mentioned, removing the entire thing will make matters a whole heck of a lot easier.

J

Old 04-07-2021 | 12:26 PM
Drifting

A new air intake manifold is probably very expensive. I suppose, for me, it would depend on whether or not I could find a good price on a good-quality, used part. If 3 out of 4 inserts were spinning, I would personally be trying to replace the whole air intake manifold, but I can't really offer advice here. Sorry about your luck with that part.

Old 04-07-2021 | 12:34 PM
|
4wd High

Originally Posted by evsteroo
A new air intake manifold is probably very expensive. I suppose, for me, it would depend on whether or not I could find a good price on a good-quality, used part. If 3 out of 4 inserts were spinning, I would personally be trying to replace the whole air intake manifold, but I can't really offer advice here. Sorry about your luck with that part.
Thank you for all the advice...quite helpful, you are!

JAC

Old 04-08-2021 | 08:56 PM
Camel Trophy

If they spin you can probably thread in a bolt with a nut at one end to create a pulled and slide it out. Clean out the hole. Then apply some super high temp epoxy, probably a JB Weld product, not much, to the brass insert and push it back in. Let it setup up. With any luck you are good to go. Usually these getting spun out is from someone WAY over tightening them, it literally can pull them out.

EDIT: Never mind, I see that is metal when I saw the overall pic from the other thread. Clearly someone was really abusive. Indeed you would have to re-tap that. Nothing is spinning, its stripped.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 04-08-2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2021 | 07:34 AM
|
4wd High
Default Thank you for the suggestion

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
If they spin you can probably thread in a bolt with a nut at one end to create a pulled and slide it out. Clean out the hole. Then apply some super high temp epoxy, probably a JB Weld product, not much, to the brass insert and push it back in. Let it setup up. With any luck you are good to go. Usually these getting spun out is from someone WAY over tightening them, it literally can pull them out.

EDIT: Never mind, I see that is metal when I saw the overall pic from the other thread. Clearly someone was really abusive. Indeed you would have to re-tap that. Nothing is spinning, its stripped.
I tried the JB Weld idea last weekend to no avail. What moron just keeps tightening?

thanks for the help!

JAC