LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 diagnostic tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:28 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 diagnostic tools

Does anyone know which Scanner will be best for seeing and clearing codes for LR Discovery 3 2005 please?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:12 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome to the forums. Sorry theres not as much help available YET for the newer model Land Rovers such as the LR3 and up. Still very new vehicles and not many people on here own one yet. In any case check out the Britpart Lynx Diagnostic tool. This tool can do pretty much everything and even read live data. Its compatidable with most Land Rovers including the LR3 models. Check out the video for details:

Also here is a couple links to some sites that specialize in the LR3 models. They will be more familiar with your tech needs. Though we will try to help you out as best we can, when we can.

About | Land Rover LR3 Tips & Info

DISCO3.CO.UK - Index

Good luck, congrats on getting a lovely piece of modern machinery and welcome to the forums!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are generic OBD code readers which can pull codes but don't include some of the esoteric tool options for LR CANBUS vehicles that would allow you to service reset and adjust park brake functions etc.

Do some searches for Faultmate, Nanocom and IID and you'll be on the road to picking one - depending on how much tinkering you may need to open your wallet wider...

Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Drifting

Do not jump into buying the newer diagnostic tools that are out there, I had it narrowed down to two, but have since found out that the one I got is not living up to the sales pitch.

I wanted to be able to read the transmission temp for checking the fluid level, no can't do that.

Do you really need all the fancy ECU flashing capability? Its your dime

Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Mudding

There are other useful functions which a generic OBD reader won't provide and don't involve flashing the ECU(s). In general, if they are working there's little to be gained by installing the "latest" release.

If you're a DIY'er then being able to set the EPB actuator into service position to replace the brake shoes for example would probably be useful. I was told by a friend of a friend he was quoted $1800 for a brake and disk replacement all round. At that kind of charge, the tool soon pays for itself.

As with most tools that you don't buy directly from the manufacturer (Land Rover use SDD which you *can* buy into if you have deep pockets) the third parties are having to balance the R&D requirement with how many people are going to want it. If I were them, I would tend to prioritize release features accordingly. What that means in practice is that 80% of the capabilities are available fairly soon the rest may follow. I know most of the third party companies do have an ongoing release schedule for their tools and being software, the tool itself doesn't have to go anywhere but a USB cable on your desk.

I have worked for a number of software companies in the past and it's always been a mystery that customers think developers are blessed with mind reading powers. If there is a function you want that isn't yet available, go mad and blow a few minutes sending an email or filling in a web form asking if/when it might be possible. If nobody knows you want it, then the dev team may just work on something else which they perceive people DO want....you can't please ALL of the people, ALL of the time.

No, I don't work for any of the LR tool makers by the way, nor Land Rover ;-)

Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Drifting

With the diagnostic unit I purchased, the claims of what it can do is great, BUT if like me your Vin# is not in the system you are SOL.

This should be a pre-purchase check that you can do before shelling out good money.

The other diagnostic unit can all ready build you a CCF as it reads the vehicle as build from the vehicle.

I am needing to change out the AT and really don't want to swap the TCU from the removed unit.

So anybody want to buy a not used (can not use) nanocom

Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Mudding

The VIN lookup isn't anything that BBS owns - it comes from Land Rover, so if your VIN # can't generate an "as built" file, it doesn't matter what tool you use.

The "read the car CCF" feature is I believe on the cards for folks who either don't show up in the LR database like you or like me, have tweaked their CCF using other tools.

There was a "demo" account on the Genesis site that would allow you to check your VIN against CCF but did not allow a download. Not sure if it's still there...

Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stmcknig
The VIN lookup isn't anything that BBS owns - it comes from Land Rover, so if your VIN # can't generate an "as built" file, it doesn't matter what tool you use.

The "read the car CCF" feature is I believe on the cards for folks who either don't show up in the LR database like you or like me, have tweaked their CCF using other tools.

There was a "demo" account on the Genesis site that would allow you to check your VIN against CCF but did not allow a download. Not sure if it's still there...
There was no "demo" when I was looking around.

Here is a reply from another diagnostics company I received recently fyi

will your tool give me the ability to read live values, Yes transmission temp? Yes

be able to read the CCF and update, Yes But where do you get the basic build info from? LR? The ???Tool reads the current CCF in the vehicle and allows you to change the settings according to the current values. No ‘’build file’’ needed, all done locally with the tool in the vehicle, no need to connect to the internet or other. Also, the first time the IIDTool is connected on a vehicle, it does a backup of the CCF and Suspension height settings so that they can be recalled if needed.

reflash the auto transmission, etc Currently, it is capable of re-flashing the Instrument Pack, Body Control, Suspension and Transmission ECU (on request not sure your meaning of “on request”?? Adaptive reset?). More ECU’s will be supported in the near future.

Sorry, I should have written that It does currently support reflashing of:

-BCM Body Control

-IPC Instrument Pack

-RLM Suspension (AMK or Hitachi compressor versions available)

-Transmission. If this is needed, we build a special firmware so that the user can re-flash the transmission.

-Clear Adaption, yes this is also supported.

All file selection or resolution is done automatically by the tool, except for the transmission but this is to be added shortly.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Genesis demo still there.

I typed in my VIN a few days back and it found a 3 that seemed to be mine.

The link is as below and the log in stuff is as below.

Genesis Home

Just click on the Login button in the top right corner, ignore the Register button.

For User Name, type in demo

For Password, type in genesisdemo

all in lower case.

Then click on the Flash File Download button and next page, type your VIN in and see what comes up.
The odds are a bunch of numbers that relate to stuff I do not understand will appear.

More to what I understand shows up if you click on the CCF Editor button.

Then click on the Use a copy of As-Built from Blackbox button.

Then type in your VIN and click on the Submit button.

With luck, all sorts of data as to how your 3 is configured will appear.

Last edited by bbyer; 01-10-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Mudding

I think all the current tools are still in "active" development by their respective owners and everybody has slightly different ideas of the best mousetrap. There probably is a venn diagram one could draw of the tools vs ECU/CCF functions. Over time, I expect those will converge. I've seen on the Nanocom forum that the BBS guys have dug in after the holiday break to tidy up a number of things the festive cheer put a dent in...

Quick Reply: OBD2 diagnostic tools