LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 diagnostic tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
Genesis Home

Just click on the Login button in the top right corner, ignore the Register button.

For User Name, type in demo

For Password, type in genesisdemo

all in lower case.
Thanks, but was this common knowledge? didn't get that note, too late now

Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you register on the Nanocom web site ? I think it was posted up there under the Genesis section. It's also where firmware updates are distributed for new features and fixes.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a "demo" account on the Genesis site that would allow you to check your VIN against CCF but did not allow a download. Not sure if it's still there...
Yes the demo account we have provided on Genesis has always been there and so still is

URL = Faultmate Genesis Gateway>
User name = Demo
Password = Genesisdemo

Then you just type in the Vehicles VIN number and hey presto, like some kind of magic you get to see, and are able to edit the Vehicles CCF (Car Configuration File) and all the hundreds of configurable settings for that specific vehicle. More if you toggle to the Advanced mode.

Genesis can however only do this on the proviso that Land Rover have an "AS BUILT" file for it in their database and as we have recently discovered after generally releasing this into the field that LR did not store "AS BUILT" files for a small number of earlier CAN BUS vehicles which in itself is pretty worrying, because if someone with such a vehicle somehow had a corruputed CCF no dealer could possibly fix that.

But BBS is certainly no stranger to the CCF, in fact we were the ones that made owners aware of it in the first place and uniquely introduced the ability to edit it with our MSV equipment many years ago that has seen thousands of owners now able to modify their vehicles settings and configuration.

CAN BUS coverage on the well known and respected Nanocom Evolution platform was only released a week or so before we closed before the Christmas / New Years break, with a generous 20% discount, I explained in detail that it should be expected that there there to be some initial bugs and problems with it that would need sorting.

Since BBS re opened for business on Jan 7th this is occurring an an almost by the hour basis.

The lack of AS BUILT files being provided by Land Rover is but one thing we are very much in the process of not only currently addressing but doing so in the usual and then some kinda way that BBS is reknowned for.

In the next upgrade or so, there will be a new "READ AS IS CCF" function added to the nanocom Evolution that will save the Existing CCF from a vehicle and allow it to be uploaded to Genesis along with the other upload options.

When editing a CCF on Genesis you will then be able to also select any "AS IS" file you have previously uploaded. Of course you will be able to upload any number of "AS IS" files and will see them all listed by date.

I hope this helps explain

ATB

Colin

Last edited by BBS GUY; 01-10-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default resolution under way

Somehow that fact that your people are already on to resolving the fact that LR is missing some CCF files is not a real surprise, at least to those who know BlackBox.

I think the real problem will be in making the system such that absolutely no one in the world can kill their Land Rover regardless of how challenged they may be - now that will be a challenge.

To me, it was a bit of a surprise that my VIN did show up. My LR dealer has trouble finding my 3 sometimes due to the limitations of his shop computer systems - good consistent power primarily.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Mudding

Well as the legendary "Darwin awards" demonstrate, the universe has got quite adept at new forms of idiocy, so making a tool totally idiot proof is a challenge I'm not sure even BBS could crack.

What is potentially more interesting was I think the original plan for Genesis which was to permit your vehicle to be updated or reviewed by someone with more skills, via a remote connection. So if you weren't very comfortable with the idea of CCF editing, you could allow someone else to do it for you whether they were down the street or half way round the world. I'm sure that's still a gleam in Colin's eye somewhere down the road....

Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Default yes, CCF editing is not for the faint at heart.

Originally Posted by stmcknig
What is potentially more interesting was I think the original plan for Genesis which was to permit your vehicle to be updated or reviewed by someone with more skills, via a remote connection. So if you weren't very comfortable with the idea of CCF editing, you could allow someone else to do it for you whether they were down the street or half way round the world. I'm sure that's still a gleam in Colin's eye somewhere down the road....
I think that being able to hire someone with experience to do the editing has a lot of merit. I recall attempting my first Excel spread sheet, (actually Lotus 123), was quite a challenge for the first while. As one gains experience, then things get easier.

My view is that one best have a second vehicle and a lot of time before one gets too heavy into the CCF editing. I can see starting out with the 3 flash signal light thing and or the clock, but getting into the engine or tranny right off, well one best have a something more than shoes. As such, unless one is going to be playing around routinely, paying someone else to do the updates has merit.

Even with hiring someone to do the editing, it strikes me that one better have it figured out how to keep the battery fully powered over a two hour or so period even for minor stuff. This I figure will be a problem with the remote flashing - that the vehicle owner does not have a good enough source of battery power.

It seems that one is always cycling the ignition on and off, and the signal lights, taillights and headlights etc are blinking on and off as a part of the show, along with lots of clicking.

I have a 25 amp battery charger and the digital amp display window often rolls up to 25 amps for a few seconds and then tends to sit around 10 amps during some of the cycles with 5 amps being a minimum. That is why the dealers have problems I think. They do not have enough battery chargers laying about; tend to gamble at bit, and their shop power is less than desirable, let alone their shop internet connection.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Mudding

I remember jail breaking my first iPhone with my heart in my mouth wondering if it was going to survive as a working phone. I get a similar dry mouth sometimes wondering if I'm going to have a 6000lb brick sitting on the drive. I did have the good fortune to get the LR recommended 25A battery maintainer at a good price on eBay and always always make sure its hooked up before doing anything other than fault code read/reset. I'm still deciding how much I *really* want that clock on the dash mod ;-)

Old 01-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't trust land rover's as built for my VIN. There are some settings in there that just don't make sense for my vehicle.

I'll wait until BBS releases a version that can read from my car, as he mentioned earlier.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I remember jail breaking my first iPhone with my heart in my mouth wondering if it was going to survive as a working phone. I get a similar dry mouth sometimes wondering if I'm going to have a 6000lb brick sitting on the drive. I did have the good fortune to get the LR recommended 25A battery maintainer at a good price on eBay and always always make sure its hooked up before doing anything other than fault code read/reset. I'm still deciding how much I *really* want that clock on the dash mod ;-)
I did the clock, not on purpose, but sometimes it's really hard to figure out which code to download. I picked the wrong one and it had the clock. It also turned on the fuel burning heater light when the headlights were on. So I put it back to previous code.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Default The FBH light is a "free" extra to the clock upgrade.

Originally Posted by jafir
I did the clock, not on purpose, but sometimes it's really hard to figure out which code to download. I picked the wrong one and it had the clock. It also turned on the fuel burning heater light when the headlights were on. So I put it back to previous code.
For what it is worth, the clock software you installed was probably the correct version but it comes "free" with the red light turn on "feature".

By about 2008, (maybe earlier), the red Fuel Burning Heater logo location had been changed into a green headlights on indicator.

As such, when you installed the software, that changed the function of the LED into a headlights on indicator. As to colour, the software just provides power to the LED and of course the heater symbol is part of the plastic bezel. As such, in 2005 and somewhat later models, you have to put up with the red FBH display if you want the clock. Here in Canada where we have Daytime Running Lights, this means the red light is on all the time.

Some guys who are understand electronics and are good with a soldering gun on a printed circuit board have removed the red LED and replaced it with a green one.

But anyway, that is why I said that one page of the Genesis website displayed a bunch of stuff I do not understand - that is the software upgrades page - not so simple.

I also gather not all the LR techs have that good a grasp of the numbering system either and is the reason they shy away from routine software upgrades.

Quick Reply: OBD2 diagnostic tools