LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Occasionally smoking under throttle - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy Occasionally smoking under throttle - Help!

So, I'm attempting to keep my optimism currently. I'm hopeful there's something simple that someone else has experienced that can explain what happened last night.

Took the wife and one of the kiddos out to dinner last night. It's unusually cold currently, 55 degrees in June in Connecticut. We took the Rover because of the heated seats.

I started it up, drove out of the driveway, went 6.2 miles with no issue just driving nicely as it was warming up, as I always do. Got to more of a main road and took the right, as usual, some one comes ripping over the hill after I've pulled out, so out of courtesy, I give it some throttle. I didn't stomp it, I didn't hit the clicker under the throttle to force downshift, I just simply gave some more pedal.

Suddenly, POOF, a smoke cloud. Not a little bit -- like a LOTTLE BIT. James Bond would be proud of this smoke. It was enough to make the car drive into the oncoming lane to avoid it. It was white/grey in color. I let out of the throttle and it stopped, almost immediately. Pull to the side of the road, a little of a wavy idle -- but not stalling, not bucking, not making any noises at all. I shut the truck off and sniffed at the exhaust -- smelled of eggs -- like a clogged catalytic converter, or a cat in one of it's heat cycles. No notice of any scents of oil or coolant. I check my coolant, reservoir looks good. I checked my oil.... Taking the right and accellerating I thought -- I wonder if there's water in the air intake. It's been raining cats and dogs for 2 days -- the most rain I've seen within my ownership of this truck.

I started it back up -- started right up. no nonsense, no idle issue - just as though nothing happened. I got back in, drove it down the hill I was on - no smoke. no smoke. I hit the next incline, rather steep where I've got to give it some more boot -- POOOF it does it again. No power loss, no hesitation that I have been able to notice.

It's under acceleration this is happening, and not at all at idle. as soon as I was off the incline and could let the throttle go it went away instantly again. This is repeatable.

I did notice some "clicking" in the front right of the truck on one of the 'testing' moments - almost like a loud injector or a valve system clicking? It didn't sound like valve-has-no-oil ticking but again, I'm still trying to figure this out. I reached my dinner point and had ate. Got back in the truck, started right up, drove it home without it smoking once -- as I took it real easy, gave it some throttle downhills to gain speed and let it decelerate on the uphills.

Got it home, pulled the air filter box apart -- (freakin' screws to check my air filter, wtf?!?!?!)

Air filter is completely dry (and needs replacing, glad I ordered one Monday!)
Oil level is perfect - no milky color.
Coolant level is perfect, and perfect color.

Scent of coolant noted in the engine bay area -- no pools found yet (It's been raining, may not be able to tell for a couple days if anything is dripping, as everything is dripping) - and by scent -- A little bit -- not like what a car generally smells like when you've blown a hose. Just a touch.

So - Any thoughts? What would YOU check/try first?

Dave

Old 06-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Does the engine temperature seem normal?

Has the radiator been changed by a previous owner. We once bought a jeep and within 3000 miles, it needed a head job, the radiator had been replaced and previous owner had overheated it, and dumped it. Nice guy.. thanks jerk..

Can you get it put on an exhaust analyzer to see if emissions are normal?

If you have a weak head gasket, that would be one method of getting water into your exhaust system, also water in the fuel. If you can, get cylinder pressure test done.

If you do not suspect head gaskets, drygas and a can of techron and drive it like you stole it. run as much of the fuel out as possible and add good gas next, and another can. Cosc o sells it by the case.. Remember, if it's a head gasket, this won't do anything, and gummed up valves shouldn't cause white smoke persea.

How much moisture vs smoke is coming out of the tailpipe, smell it, etc.

All this aside, it might be worth hitting your local dealer.. hmm few and far between up there, and a lot smaller than here, but they are there.

anecdotally, and hopefully-- here is a post from another guy from another site..

TDV6 - Not gasoline, but similar description.

"When I was looking to buy my disco, I took mine for a test drive and had a similar experience. It was below zero for several days prior and the car had been sitting out side in the forecourt during this time. Unsurprisingly, the sales guy had started the car an left it idling for an hour or so to get it up to temp and clear the frost. I drove it slowly for about 1/2 mile until I reached a 60 MPH zone, where I gunned it and almost instantly created a massive plume of white smoke. There was no bings, bongs or warning lights and no other symptoms so I continued to drive it and the smoke cleared almost as quickly as it had appeared. I got back and reported it to the sales guy who gave me a blank stare but promised to get it looked at before I purchased it. I did buy it the next week and left with assurances that there was no issue (in writing) and a 3 month warranty, during which time I put it through it's paces and tried to get it to replicate the same white smoke - to no avail. I've had it for almost 2 years now and I only came to the conclusion above about the original sales guy, after similarly letting the car idle one day whilst parked up on the phone for about 1/2 hour. I drove off and lo and behold, another plume of white smoke. It seems that if left idling long enough and then driven hard, this will happen. No doubt somebody more learned than me will come along with an explanation about why this happens but hopefully it is a common ocurrence and nothing major to worry about? I would also query the belt service being done. Hope this eases your mind a bit"

Last edited by unseenone; 06-03-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Rock Crawling

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...-rubber-61942/

White Smoke - Land Rover and Range Rover Forums

Hmmm....

I'm trying to remain optimistic!

Maybe I'll try one of these first. Can't hurt. I definitely did hear clicking.

Dave

Old 06-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

Those symptoms sound EXACTLY like yours, Dave. Swap out that PCV valve and report back to us!!! Please...

The following users liked this post:
Vic199928 (07-11-2019)
Old 06-04-2015, 05:23 AM
Rock Crawling

I will report back, I've overnighted one from Atlantic British so I may see it Friday, hopefully!

My truck is odd, being such low miles (46k currently) but yet still 10yrs old - Plastics and hoses may be expected just due to that age.

I may go take a video of it doing it, for others to see. I mean, it really is not just a little smoke -- it's covering the entire lane of traffic so that you can't see the car behind you in about 3 seconds! Picture 3x larger than the truck itself in a couple seconds!

Dave

Old 06-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the exact same smoke trail. Pretty impressive. Of course accompanied by that sinking feeling (maybe reading too many forums, unfortunately often seem quite pessimistic), thoughts of major repairs flashing through my mind - especially with that little ticking noise you're never quite sure you heard.
Absolutely no doubt it's PCV valve, hopefully you won't fret too much before Friday!

Old 06-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

This is also just a good educational post for the rest of us that might have this happen!

46k miles in 10 years?!?!? Wow. I replaced a lot of the rubber stuff a while back; brake lines at the 8 year mark and all coolant lines last February in preparation for my trip to the Yukon Territory. I don't recall if the PCV Valve was included but it may have been. I told them "anything rubber" and may have called it out specifically. I will check my paperwork.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Rock Crawling

The truck is new to me, about 3 months. So, I figured being a Rover I was due for an engine replacement!

I'm the 2nd owner, the first clearly drove it very little. It spent it's life on Nantucket. It still smells of suntan lotion. I'm not sure it was ever even driven in the rain.

After cleaning the throttle body, and if this is indeed this PCV valve, I think I may be looking more into an oil catch can than previously...

Dave

Old 06-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Yup, I'm thinking about that still as well...

Old 06-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Update!

I swapped out the PCV Valve on the truck on Friday. It's a 20 minute job, if that.

-Pull the engine cover off (Phillips screwdriver)
-Pull the wacky dogbone thing out of the air intake by releasing the two band clamps. 6mm 1/4" drive ratchet or flathead screwdriver.
-Pull the wire that's held in by a plastic press in hoobajube. No clue what those are called, honestly.
-Remove the 2 8mm bolts that hold the pcv valve to the passenger side valve cover. With them removed, pull the valve up. Nothing else holds it in place.
-The PCV Valve has a squeeze connector on it to remove the connector hose. With the valve unbolted it's far easier to squeeze it and remove it, I found.
-Press the hose back on the new one, and reverse the procedure to reinstall it. It's a very quick job. If you struggle getting the air intake back together, pull the hose off the throttle body (closest to engine) and it may give you the extra flex you struggle with, as the throttle body is solidly mounted.

With all that said -- My swap DID solve the problem. I drove it for about 25 miles just giving it slight acceleration... which was enough to cause the smoking before.

I was getting onto the highway and decided to 'give it some hell' -- Stuffed it to the floor triggering the kickdown switch under the pedal, she downshifted, went up to about 6k rpm and puffed one more final cough -- clearly sucking oil in from SOMEWHERE into a cylinder. It freaked out the truck a bit, flashing the check engine light -- probably as the oil hit the o2 sensors or something - It took about 20 seconds before it calmed down and the lights went back off -- and now I can't make it do it again. I've done about 200mi this weekend with it since.

So, problem solved. $60 part from Atlantic British, far nicer than the head gasket or thrown ring I feared originally!

So, feel free to drop me a PM here if you think you're suffering the same thing or have any questions.

-Dave

The following users liked this post:
unseenone (06-07-2015)

Quick Reply: Occasionally smoking under throttle - Help!