LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM vs Arnott vs Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM vs Arnott vs Bilstein

As you may have seen, I've been quite busy with, new to me, MY08 recently. Over the 4th of July weekend, I had to replace my radiator, thermostat housing, transmission cooler line, performed the transmission fluid change with pan conversion, and an oil change. This followed up with a late night run to the hardware store to make a brass t for the stupid bleeder valve for the coolant system (still have to do the front brakes and replace the upper control arms).

Long story long, I got a suspension fault on my way home from work the other day and after further inspection, I have a large hold in my front passenger side air spring bag.

Finally onto my question, I have been researching what to replace it with for the past few days and I am no closer to an answer from when I started. So, can someone help me decide which I should go with? Here are the links to what I have been looking at:

Arnott
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...75_gid723.html

Bilstein
Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873

OE
LR3 Front Air Spring And Strut Assembly (Part # RNB501580)

I plan on having MY08 for another 100k+ (currently has 127k) so I want something that will last!

Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

OE...just not something I'd go cheap on.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I think Arnott makes a good product as evidenced by their lifetime warranty plus they are usually cheaper than OEM. All manufacturers listed use Bilstein shock absorbers.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Arnott makes a good product with a good warranty

Old 07-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Overlanding

I replaced my front airbags last year and went with Arnott. I've been happy with Arnott and have 14K miles on them, many of those miles are from dirt and washboard roads. Arnott uses quick-connect air connectors which was a nice touch.

From my research, Arnott seems to be better than OEM. Also, a shop floorman at a LR dealership recommended them so it's not always the case that more $$ means higher quality.

As for Bilsteins, I heard Arnott actually offered a Bilstein shock with their airbags as an option but had to recall them due to performance issues. When I talked to Arnott, they wouldn't tell me why no longer offered the Bilstein option. And they don't offer rear airbags either...

Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanx yubert for the update on Arnott not using Bilstein anymore.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I have heard a lot of complaints about Arnott, but have used them exclusively.

I've had one issue where the top studs all broke on one side approx 5k miles after install. I could have over torqued them but doubt it as the other side was fine. It was replaced under warranty.

The ride quality feels fine and they function as they should, so I vote Arnott.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Regardless of brand, I would recommend changing both sides

I went with Arnott and changed both fronts.
With that many miles on it, ride quality may suffer if you only replace one. I had an air leak on the right front, at 130,000 miles I went with Arnott as they were on sale, and am very happy with them after a year of daily use.
Of course if money is an issue try one and see if you like the way it rides.

Jeff

Old 07-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Drifting

Thank you all, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a pair of Arnotts off Amazon for just under $600.

On the plus side of things, after all of this work, I'm really starting to get to know my LR.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:15 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Arnotts are good, we use them when NEW is available. If all they offer is "rebuild", then we go with Bilstein or Continental. I stopped using "reman" struts year ago.

Quick Reply: OEM vs Arnott vs Bilstein