LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off road fun new springs/shocks and wranglers with Kevlar

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Off road fun new springs/shocks and wranglers with Kevlar

I don't post much but I know a few folks were wondering how the off road performance is with the air system removed.
Had a pretty good day out with a buddy and his Jeep (New *****'s- Kudos to him for coming).

My rig has Atlantic British coil to spring conversion with old man Emu springs giving it a 2" lift, 18" rims with Wrangler + kevlar tyres.

Terrain - medium difficulty, some slippery rocks, deepish water (approx 40")
lots of rock crawling areas and some narrow paint scratching paths

Results? - Amazing! My terrain response system worked as well as with the air suspension, sand and mud and ruts were the two I mainly used.

here are some shots of the day.

Start of the day all prettied up...

Going where Jeeps fear to tread :>)

Old 05-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

What size are those tires?

I've read that the coilover packages "fix the indications" on the dash. Does that mean they disable systems? Did you feel 4ETC working? Any nuances or details you can share? Any parts of the terrain that would cause substantial articulation?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Overlanding

Traction control worked great, as did HDC, I had a moment with one wheel was off by 6 inches at the back and I got stuck - ( think I was in sand mode) switched to rock crawl and was out in a jiffy.
Tyres are 265/70/18 top of my wheel arch is 35.6" from the ground.

Pushed water at bonnet height, went up and down some pretty steep slopes that were wet and gravel filled, TC came on now and then... Had a blast, went everywhere my buddy did in his Jeep, I had to stop and switch modes now and again.

Thanks for looking

Old 05-26-2016, 01:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks for sharing! Great tire size....a little taller than the 32s I'm running but narrower, which helps with not rubbing on the frame or ripping the EAS wire harness which you can now disregard!

So, why did switching to Rock Crawl matter for you, I wonder. Do you have the rear locker? I could see it being more prone to engaging if you do. Otherwise, I wonder what system changes the LR3 made.

...you do know that you don't have to "stop" to switch modes, right?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:12 PM
Overlanding

Here are some shots that show the water depth and angles we were hitting.

Over my 35.6"

Old 05-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Thanks for sharing! Great tire size....a little taller than the 32s I'm running but narrower, which helps with not rubbing on the frame or ripping the EAS wire harness which you can now disregard!

So, why did switching to Rock Crawl matter for you, I wonder. Do you have the rear locker? I could see it being more prone to engaging if you do. Otherwise, I wonder what system changes the LR3 made.

...you do know that you don't have to "stop" to switch modes, right?
Yeah no rubbing for me, i had to skim a bit off of the inside plastic cover but that was all...I've been runnin LR's for years so know about stopping to swap modes..thanks for the tip though

I am not sure myself to be honest why rock crawl helped when my right rear wheel was 6" in the air but it got me out instantly... Maybe someone can answer...

here is the wheel hung up moment captured by my good friend mr Jeep.

Hard to tell but my right rear wheel was 6" up and i was tilting heavily to the left!

Old 05-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Cool pics....yeah I'm not sure maybe just the difference in throttle-mapping and low-end torque available in Rock Crawl v Sand. Sand Mode is probably the one I use least; Mud 'n Ruts is my most frequently used. It seems to be the most versatile, IMO. The other modes I really only use for what they are for explicitly....but I'll use Mud 'n Ruts in (deep) snow, for example. I also use it on rocky trails that are rutted; so for me it's more like "Mud OR Ruts" if you follow that logical distinction.

You say this "..I've been runnin LR's for years so know about stopping to swap modes..thanks for the tip though " yet you still imply that you have to stop to swap modes. You don't.

Looks like you could use some rock sliders, too! Any more pics? I love it.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Overlanding

Cool pics....yeah I'm not sure maybe just the difference in throttle-mapping and low-end torque available in Rock Crawl v Sand. Sand Mode is probably the one I use least; Mud 'n Ruts is my most frequently used. It seems to be the most versatile, IMO. The other modes I really only use for what they are for explicitly....but I'll use Mud 'n Ruts in (deep) snow, for example. I also use it on rocky trails that are rutted; so for me it's more like "Mud OR Ruts" if you follow that logical distinction.

You say this "..I've been runnin LR's for years so know about stopping to swap modes..thanks for the tip though " yet you still imply that you have to stop to swap modes. You don't.

Looks like you could use some rock sliders, too! Any more pics? I love it.
Yes it was my attempt at being sardonic hence the laughing face...clearly I failed! - When I dsaid I had to stop now and again it was more i was stopped now and again lol - couple of times I was stuck forgot what mode I was in terrain changed and as an old fart I forgot to change modes.
Good point about the throttle-mapping and torque, I use sand a lot because I live on a giant sand bar, even the rocks here are sand, I do use mud n rut mode too quite often, never in deep snow though I will have to try that.
heres one the day after I got home, polished the branch scratches out... I have considered sliders and plates, haven't got around to them yet as we don't do too much off road stuff though more than I should...according to 'her indoors' I have a new roof cage rack coming next week will see what $ is left over next month...after I've bought some more stuff for my bike

Ivy and Bess together...can you tell I'm a Brit?

Last edited by PEI PAUL; 05-26-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Camel Trophy

Nice....looks sharp; good work on the polishing.

Sliders really are invaluable since the right set will protect your compressor and air tank as well. Yeah in deep snow put 'er in Mud 'n Ruts and turn off DSC and prepare to be amazed!

Old 05-26-2016, 09:57 PM
Overlanding

Nice....looks sharp; good work on the polishing.

Sliders really are invaluable since the right set will protect your compressor and air tank as well. Yeah in deep snow put 'er in Mud 'n Ruts and turn off DSC and prepare to be amazed!
Don't care too much about the compressor and tank anymore mine were under the drivers side.
Can't believe I'm about to say this but.... I can't wait till winter to try the DSC and mud n ruts setting

Quick Reply: Off road fun new springs/shocks and wranglers with Kevlar