LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P255/60R19 BLizzaks DMv1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
How high you can go depends upon how you set it up.
Nice vague answer.

Its not hard to do.

1. Measure height prior to the install.

2. Install unit put in extended mode.

3. Take ((new height - old)) that is the answer I am looking for.

There has to be a limitation on the height. You can't simply set it for 6 feet and it magically does it.

I'm guessing it adds 3/4 inch.

Last edited by RAJOD; 02-13-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Yes, I suppose it was vague.

I am sorry that I was not satisfactorily precise in my answer.

How high your 3 might go with the LLAMS kit depends upon how the LLAMS kit is calibrated. Regardless, kit or not, the max height is how much upwards slack there is in the suspension system over the design "safe" amount.

As to how much that is for your 3, I do not know.

You however can fool your 3 into going to the max height and then you will beable to measure it and see what your 3 does. It might be 3/4"; it might be more, but at least you will know for certain - and let us know as we would all be interested. That is how we learn, by sharing knowledge.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I actually have two sets of wheels and tires and Discount Tire bolts them on for me. I will typically switch out in April and run the MT/Rs until winter when I switch to my Nokians. I take a dozen donuts to the Discount Tire shop just to grease the skids but it's a service they provide anyway to customers.

They don't rub...on the street. On the trail they rub without the EAS mod.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

the following picture shows measurements for differences in ride height.

Owner's Manual page 171

Off road height is 55mm / 2.25" higher

Extended mode is automatic and no control can be taken by the driver

Access height is 50mm / 2.0" lower

High speed height is automatic and no control can be taken by the driver
(Suspension lowers by 20mm / 0.75" if speed exceeds 160kph / 100mph for longer than five seconds)

The only measurement shown on the drawing that is not explained is the +70mm. I do not know if that is the Max height that can be achieved above On road or above Off road.

If you add a lift via Johnson Rods or similar, you effectively lose the ability to raise the Max difference from On road to Maximum length of Air spring because you use 2.5" of the travel.

Something interesting is found on page 175
"SUPER" Extended mode can be controlled by the driver:

Additional lift whilst in extended mode:
When extended mode is invoked and the automatic lifting of the vehicle has been completed, the driver can select an additional lift in order to clear the obstacle. This can be particularly useful when extended mode is invoked on soft surfaces [snow, sand, mud, and also hard surfaces like giant boulders].

To request additional lifting, wait for the raising indicator to extinguish then press and hold the [raise] switch for three seconds whilst pressing the brake pedal. A chime will sound to confirm that the request has been accepted. Indicator [light] will be illuminated while the vehicle is being lifted.

Originally Posted by bbyer
You however can fool your 3 into going to the max height and then you will be able to measure it and see what your 3 does. It might be 3/4"; it might be more, but at least you will know for certain - and let us know as we would all be interested. That is how we learn, by sharing knowledge.
If you really want to know your limit, trick the suspension into Extended mode and then request the additional "SUPER extended mode"

Old 02-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I actually have two sets of wheels and tires and Discount Tire bolts them on for me. I will typically switch out in April and run the MT/Rs until winter when I switch to my Nokians. I take a dozen donuts to the Discount Tire shop just to grease the skids but it's a service they provide anyway to customers.

They don't rub...on the street. On the trail they rub without the EAS mod.
What size are your MT/Rs?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Default A software change?

The news that we can manually raise the 3 to full extended height, this is interesting - a software change perhaps.

From page 197 of a pdf copy of what I think is the circa 2005 manuals, I have as below:

Extended Mode

If the vehicle is grounded and traction control is
induced, the system automatically pumps air
into the air springs to raise the vehicle clear of
the obstruction. Extended mode is activated

automatically and cannot be selected manually.

Later today, I will look in my 2005 hard copy manuals to see what it says and also try out the manual extension as explained in spidermans post from I presume his 2007 model year owners manual.

This is real news. If it works on my 2005, then when I got a new air compressor installed and that software update loaded that reduced compressor max pressure, perhaps the update also included a manual extension procedure.

Yes, again I learn about either new features or features unknown to me.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Default page 205 of my 2005 hard copy and does not work

I am sorry to say that for me, on page 205 of my hard copy of the MY2005 Owners Handbook, it seems to be telling the unhappy truth, that I cannot manually get the super extended height - at least I could not get it today.

So much for my dreams of extra goodies stuffed into a software update.

It is for me at least, a problem trying to figure out what one of Land Rovers software updates includes. Maybe others have a source that tells all, but I do not; I can only guess.

About all I know is that it seems my LR dealer technicians seem to run scared from any T4 software update and those that do not will not accept the flat rate for attempting one.

They even regard a successful reset of the service indicator as a real achievement. I think this attitude is not unique to my dealership and why LR changed the design on later year models so that the service indicator could be changed from the dash - like most vehicles. The change was not for the benefit of owners who do their own oil changes; it was for the benefit of the dealer service people.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

bbyer...please allow me to reconcile what you are reading. None of it is news.

Extended Height is indeed automatic and cannot be manually selected. However, once IN Extended Height, Super Extended Height CAN be manually selected. That has always been the case.

@jerdog: My MT/Rs are 275/65R18. That makes them 32.1" OD.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Default I continue to learn.

So re going up, there is:

A) Off Road, which one gets via the flipper switch.

B) Extended, which one gets by high centering but there is no manual means so to speak.

C) Super Extended, which I can then select via the foot on brake and flipper.

Thanks for the clarification.

Fortunately, I have yet to have needed that knowledge, but there is alway tomorrow - but I am not going out and high centering it for research purposes - I believe you. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry if there was any confusion Bruce,

All I did was transcribe the instructions from my Owner's Manual. I'd like to devise a way to test the theory, but when I get stuck (and that seems to be often...) I usually forget about the feature so I would have to make time to test it in the driveway and we all know how little free time we get.