LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Fault Post Rear Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 05:30 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Parking Brake Fault Post Rear Brake Job

The electronic parking brake has always worked flawlessly.

Independent mechanic installed new rear brakes; sensor, genuine pads, genuine rotors, one genuine caliper.

I was told the parking brake was adjusted via the adjustment points on the rear disk. I can confirm the required parking brake bed in procedure (per the Bible) was conducted. However, the EPB was NOT put in to service mode before the rear brakes were replaced and adjustments made.

The bed in procedure was working up until the tenth and final pull on the EPB switch when I got a parking brake fault. The parking brake no longer functions. When it is pulled, alarms go off and the fault message pops up.

What now?

Old 04-29-2020, 07:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 765 Likes on 642 Posts

The parking brake needs to be properly adjusted, again.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
The parking brake needs to be properly adjusted, again.
While I could manually adjust the parking brake at the rotors, the EPB will not enter service mode or the bed in procedure. Any sequence of pulls on the EPB triggers a fault and alarms.

Thinking about it, I guess I could remove the fuse, manually adjust, and hope it goes through the bed in when the fuse is restored and the EPB switch is pulled.

Last edited by planetspacerover; 04-29-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:40 PM
Camel Trophy

You should still be able to enter service mode. Or you need a GAP tool or such to enter service mode. If all else fails, adjust them as is then enter service mode and just again. For the record, does it even say in the Bible that it must be in service mode for adjustment? Because if I recall it was not clear. I know service mode should be used for replacing rotors since it backs them off more, etc. But when I did my parking brake adjustments I dont think I was in service more. Or I was and not sure if I needed to be... been a while.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:00 PM
Drifting

I plan on getting a GAP tool next week for this and other issues. If the gap tool clears the fault or puts the EPB in service mode, I'll try manually adjusting the brake, and go through the bed in procedure again. Thanks for the help.

The Bible instructs putting the EPB in service mode before removing the rear discs.

Last edited by planetspacerover; 04-29-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:29 PM
Drifting

The IIDTool reveals the following fault:

C1A00-4B (FB) Control module - System internal failure - over temperature

Could it really be that following the EPB bed in procedure the first time around overheated and destroyed the $1,095 module? This seems a bit of a poor design.

Incidentally, I manually adjusted the parking brakes, again, and entered the bed in mode via the EPB switch, but the switch does not activate the parking brake because of the above mentioned fault.

Additional EPB related fault read by the IIDTool:

U0159-87 (2E) Lost communication with parking assist control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message

Old 07-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Camel Trophy

Is parking assist not the proximity sensors? I dunno.

I doubt it over heated. What happens when you clear the codes? Do they come back? I would have to guess a temperature sensor failure if anything.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:44 PM
Drifting

The codes keep coming back. Even if the EPB is not used. When the EPB switch is pulled, it sets off an alarm, parking brake fault message, amber brake light, and red park light.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Is there a live value you can read that actually shows the temperature, like you can with the air ride compressor? If so and its stuck at a value, bad temp sensor. Not that it helps, but might narrow down the actual issue.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:35 AM
Drifting

First, ignore code U0159-87. That is related to parking assist, not the parking brake. I misread that.

Live control module temperature reads N/A.

I wonder if it's worth engaging the EPB unjam procedure.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Fault Post Rear Brake Job