LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion Seal or seal from transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pinion Seal or seal from transmission?

Fellow Lr3 owners,

As I'm combing through in repairing the little bits, I noticed my transfer case is caked in dirt from fluid seeping. The rear seal is clean, but it appears to be from the front, however I'm not sure if its the seal from above or the front pinion seal. Thoughts from the pics?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Looks like the output shaft seal.

Clean it up make sure it’s got the proper amount of fluid in it and drive it a bit to see where it is coming from

Old 07-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Looks like the output shaft seal.

Clean it up make sure it’s got the proper amount of fluid in it and drive it a bit to see where it is coming from
Thanks! It looks like it might be a bear to pull this one out. I might just go ahead and replace as its all torn apart anyways. I'm going to be doing all fluids as well.

Do you carry it for the Lr3? Only found it on the older one. Also you sell the puller or know of the socket size (or tool) to knock it in with? Going to try to bundle the parts.

https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/output-shaft-seal

Much appreciated,

Old 07-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Lol I don’t work there but give Mike R or Erik a call they will help with whatever they can. 716-898-8153 ext 101

How bad it is depends entirely on how that is set up. The driveshaft is annoying but is doable

I’m Active Duty Army stationed in Fort Gordon GA

Last edited by ArmyRover; 07-07-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:59 PM
Drifting

Lol I don’t work there but give Mike R or Erik a call they will help with whatever they can.

How bad it is depends entirely on how that is set up. The driveshaft is annoying but is doable

I’m Active Duty Army stationed in Fort Gordon GA

Thank you again, sorry my mistake thought you were maybe associated with them with it being in the sig. Being new here still have to learn all the names and their relationships.

I’ll try to reach out next week. ✌️

Old 07-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

No worries, they for a long time were one of the few forum sponsors and they really get out to the events in the Rover community. Justin and Erik are also friends of mine so I tend to send folks their way.

Plus my LR3 usually causes confusion it was one of their demo Rovers before I bought it.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:08 PM
Drifting

No worries, they for a long time were one of the few forum sponsors and they really get out to the events in the Rover community. Justin and Erik are also friends of mine so I tend to send folks their way.

Plus my LR3 usually causes confusion it was one of their demo Rovers before I bought it.

Damn that’s a sweet ride. Do you have a built thread list of everything that’s done? This is my ultimate plan, for now it’s getting everything serviced 💯. Then front bumper, sliders, wheels etc.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

No oddly I don't. I probably should right lol

Old 07-08-2019, 12:34 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Sorry to say, but that is a common bearing failure. Replacing the seal will not fix the leak. There is play in the output bearing causing the seal to leak.

to double confirm leak location use UV dye. I’ve seen the center seam of the case leak and fixed with three bond.

Last edited by abran; 07-08-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by abran
Sorry to say, but that is a common bearing failure. Replacing the seal will not fix the leak. There is play in the output bearing causing the seal to leak.

to double confirm leak location use UV dye. I’ve seen the center seam of the case leak and fixed with three bond.

Is it common failure on these vehicles? I’ve yet to ever come across a bearing failure on a transfer case, nor done one on any of my vehicles or customer vehicles I serviced. Done diffs before, can you grab it fairly easy like an outer pinion on a diff with a hook tool or is this one that you need to slide hammer out?

Quick Reply: Pinion Seal or seal from transmission?