LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLS HELP! AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLS HELP! AC problem

I discorvered my ac started blowing hot and i had to refil the gas and also checked if there was any leackage but non, the ac blows cold for like two days but only in the cold mornin or night. But after two days, its started blowing hot again and there was no leakage cos the gas ınsıde was intact. Took the car to the workshop again and they had to leak out the gas and discorvered the gas that was comıng out was dark in colour and smells like domestic gas which i suspected to be a bad gas. He said the compressor has worned that i should get another one, which we did and also the dryer, we also flushed the lines with air to make sure we get rid of the bad gas.The ac started blowing cold but after six hours on a long journey, the ac blows hot again and when i tried to dispence the gas, its appears dark again. Pls does it mean that this new compressor has worned again? What could be the cause of the problem and the possible solution cos i can't just use this car without ac. And the weather here is so HOT. Pls help.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Overlanding

Any help in the house pls?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I would suspect that you are in a part of the world where it is warm now, but not on the same time zones as North America, where many members reside. Your AC shop has some more testing to do, you are smelling the compressor oil that goes with the "freon" or refrigerant, and the air flush may not have flushed the system of particles and crap and old oil left behind by old problems. May have to use some liquid solvent made for that purpose. Here's some shop manual basics on the system. Will likely have to change dryer again.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Diagnosis and Testing.pdf (120.0 KB, 718 views)
File Type: pdf
Description and Operation.pdf (361.3 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-20-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Overlanding

Thanks Savanna, yeah am in africa,(west africa) and the weather here is very hot at the moment. pls what are the solvents i can use to flush the condenser cos am sure the condenser is still very ok and i believe the air did not flush the system very well. Now that i have another new compressor, do you suggest i use the solvent to flush the pressure lines too? thanks for your help, really appreciate.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In my opinion the whole system should be flushed, before the compressor and dryer are fitted. There are solvents made for this purpose, and while such stuff is off the shelf from AC repair companies here in the US, can't say what you would have available there. May have to check with a shop that repairs commercial AC systems in buildings and homes, it is a pretty standard procedure. But now that this has happened, is it not a warranty issue for your mechanic?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Along with the reciever/drier, might want to look into a new expansion valve too. They don't tend to clean out very well.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You may want to put some of that compressor oil into the system if you are trying to use it in a broken state.

Probably the compressor is going bad and the internal parts are grinding up.
May be too late.

You could try to put an oil charge in.