LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potentially moving to Maui, opinions on bringing the LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Potentially moving to Maui, opinions on bringing the LR3?

Likely moving to Maui very soon, but still commuting back to Colorado very often as my wife and kids will stay here, with them coming over to Maui often as well.

It's easy for me to work on the LR3 here, as I have a very large 4 car garage, and worst case my local dealership is only 20 minutes away. In Maui, the dealership is on Oahu, which isn't the end of the world to put it on a ferry ride to Oahu, but obviously a pain. I'm inclined to leave it here in Colorado and simply buy/lease something with a local dealership, which means Ford/Chevy/Toyota/Dodge for what I need.

However, the LR3 is paid for, and the goal is for me to make an incredible amount of money above and beyond the high expense of living in Maui. It's sort of been a second home for me since the late 80's, so I'm very familiar of the differences. I'm just curious of any members that happen to live on an island other than Oahu and how they handle things? I see plenty of not just LR3's, but many new Land Rover's on Maui, so I can't be alone in trying to figure this out.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

...sounds like you got the job I interviewed for!!!

Old 09-25-2019, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
...sounds like you got the job I interviewed for!!!
Likely not, as I'm self employed, well, in partnership with my Brother. Just got back from a month in Maui doing work. This was my wife and kids pushing me to do this, and they already have every Holiday figured out, even next summer.

I'm inclined to think its more practical to leave the Rover and purchase or lease something on Maui, I just don't see it being realistic to have the LR3 on the island, as I plan to lease or purchase a Condo, not ideal to work on it or even have room for tools.

Side topic, my 158,000 mile LR3 (purchased new by me) wasn't even started by my wife during my trip. Not only did it startup fine when I came home, but the suspension only went down about 3/4" during that month, and thats on original airbags.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Sounds like a healthy LR3. Long term, I hope that if you leave it in CO, your wife will drive it around once in a while. Otherwise maybe you should take it.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Sounds like a healthy LR3. Long term, I hope that if you leave it in CO, your wife will drive it around once in a while. Otherwise maybe you should take it.
Given the current value of an LR3, even one as clean as mine, I cannot ignore the expense of sending it to Maui. The cost of shipping has gone up, as we used to ship a Jaguar back and forth for around $800 one way from Long Beach. That car went back and forth twice, but now I'm looking at $1,800 which changes things. I'm not leaving our home in Colorado for personal reasons anytime soon, and admitally I will always need a car here for the once a month I come home. Guess you could say I made my decision today.

Now totally off topic, I"m looking at buying 3 Unimogs, the ones with 6 wheel steering and super large. I can't even find current market value in the 48 states for the ones I'm looking at buying. I joked with the wife about bringing them home and parking them in the driveway, but I'm sure my HOA would flip if I did that.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:23 PM
Camel Trophy

I think you should ship all that stuff (the LR3 and a couple 'mogs) to my house!!

The following users liked this post:
COSPILOT (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Lease or buy one of the rental jeeps.

Gas prices are nutty there and cost of shipping would probably be the same as buying a used rental Jeep

Old 09-27-2019, 03:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

i'm on a a big island and D3 ownership is no problem at all

Old 09-27-2019, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Lease or buy one of the rental jeeps.

Gas prices are nutty there and cost of shipping would probably be the same as buying a used rental Jeep
I've never seen a late model Jeep go for $1,800, heck one is hard pressed to find anything for $1,800 unless it's a Maui Cruiser (aka POS disposable vehicle).

Reality is I need a crew cab pickup, so that is what I'll find when I head over in a week.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by loanrangie
i'm on a a big island and d3 ownership is no problem at all
lol.

Quick Reply: Potentially moving to Maui, opinions on bringing the LR3?