LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potentially moving to Maui, opinions on bringing the LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

My wife confirmed she wants the LR3 to stay in Colorado, so unless she changes her mind, I don't see shipping it happening. Between my siblings and parents, we have maybe 14 times that we have shipped vehicles back and forth to Maui, so maybe not an expert, but I'm pretty knowledgeable of how it works and cost. What's shocking is that some things are obviously much more expensive, but some aren't. Most stuff at Home Depot or Lowes is within dollars of the mainland, other stuff is much more. People focus on the cost of gas, but that is so minor compared to home cost, simple day to day stuff such as milk, that gas is such a minor issue. You maximize where you live relative to your clients, and avoid crossing the island not because of gas cost, but time. Totally different mindset on how we think here in the 48 states.

I'm currently leaning toward leasing a new Ford Ranger crew cab, as the lease rates are pretty decent on the islands. I have plenty of connections with Hertz, National, and Enterprise, but leasing is cheaper. Here in Colorado I would do a lease with at least 20k/year, but 10k/year in Maui works just fine. A Jeep is the most impractical vehicle IMO to this day, while I could make my LR3 work just fine, plenty of room for tools and my Yakima rack will carry a ladder just fine. Part of me wants to take it, just because it rocks and I love it, and I like driving something a bit unique. But happy wife, happy life, so it stays with her while I'm away.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling

So I leave next Tuesday, and the Ford dealership has been a total PITA in dealing with them. Return phone calls are like pulling teeth. As I suspected, lease specials vary by region, and what works here in the 48 doesn't work in Hawaii. No big deal, this is what I want, give me a price.... You would think I'm asking for your second born child the way they react. So for now I'm using my corporate discount and renting a F150 by the month. Not ideal, but buys me time to see what I can come up with for purchase or lease once I'm back in Maui. 150th trip to Maui, and you would think I should be beyond the politics of mainland vs. Hawaii, but it is what it is. LR3 is most certainly staying here, as I have it perfect, fully serviced, and ready for anything if and when my wife chooses to drive it. Snowblower is ready even. I'm sure I will forget a few things, but I already keep my tools, scuba gear, and a few other things in Maui, so I'm ready. I think.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Wife agreed to at least drive it on Sundays. It's enough miles between home and church that it should keep the battery happy while away. I could add the the battery float charge, which I already have, but I don't want to complicate things for her.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Dig up an island Suzuki Samurai and fix it up. Make some $$ on the rebound...

Old 10-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default Shipping...

@COSPILOT Have you had to put the LR3 in Transportation Mode when shipping it in the past?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
@COSPILOT Have you had to put the LR3 in Transportation Mode when shipping it in the past?
Sorry, never shipped the LR3, nor any air suspension vehicle in the past. Had to think last night about all the vehicles we have shipped over the years.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Thanks....anyone else?

Old 12-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Rock Crawling

A quick update:

Been living in Maui, however I'm home for Christmas and New Years. Definitely no desire to ship the LR3, nor will I own any make of vehicle that doesn't have a dealership on Maui. For my needs, either a full size pickup such as a Crewcab or I even made a Ford Expedition work, as it can haul the tools and ladders I need for most projects. Being home and driving the LR3 is a treat though, and despite the lack of technology compared to the new RAM truck or the Expedition I've had for the last few months, I still prefer the LR3 for daily driving.

The following users liked this post:
loanrangie (12-26-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 04:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Must be a good business

Old 12-31-2019, 10:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Another update since 12/26 update. Now I'm thinking of shipping it to Maui, as anyone who spends time in the islands will know that a large truck is a royal pain from a parking perspective. Not an issue for work, but I do have a life outside of work, and it's nice to pull up in something that fits in a parking spot, or frankly some of the parking garage locations. I will have the dealership give it a solid inspection prior to making my decision. If there is something major that is going to need to be done, I either want it done beforehand, or won't ship it.

Quick Reply: Potentially moving to Maui, opinions on bringing the LR3?