LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase perspective

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 12:04 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First post so be patient with me I get nutty when I'm looking for a new car

I'm currently also looking at LR3's and considering it for a daily driver. I do a bit more mileage than the OP and get to some fairly remote places that probably don't have a knowledgeable LR tech for 50 or more miles around so reliability is a big thing for me. Is this the kind of truck that if maintained right can be that kind of reliable rig?

I see this IID tool mentioned, it looks like an OBDII scanner where it tells you codes and specifics about the vehicle and it can also be used for programming some things. It looks like it gets VIN locked so how can it be used if you're looking at multiple vehicles? If the shop the truck is at does LR service is this something I would expect them to have already and what should I look for when I ask them to plug it in?

What would I expect it to cost to replace the air suspension system for conventional if (when?) it goes bad?

Old 10-01-2020, 12:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gravitylover
First post so be patient with me I get nutty when I'm looking for a new car

I'm currently also looking at LR3's and considering it for a daily driver. I do a bit more mileage than the OP and get to some fairly remote places that probably don't have a knowledgeable LR tech for 50 or more miles around so reliability is a big thing for me. Is this the kind of truck that if maintained right can be that kind of reliable rig?

I see this IID tool mentioned, it looks like an OBDII scanner where it tells you codes and specifics about the vehicle and it can also be used for programming some things. It looks like it gets VIN locked so how can it be used if you're looking at multiple vehicles? If the shop the truck is at does LR service is this something I would expect them to have already and what should I look for when I ask them to plug it in?

What would I expect it to cost to replace the air suspension system for conventional if (when?) it goes bad?
The IID tool connects to the OBD port, but don't think of it like you would a fault code reader. It's enormously powerful (hence the price). It can be used to make significant changes to the vehicle's systems, reflash and change ECUs, etc. It is VIN locked to a vehicle for the active components of the tool, but you can use it to read fault codes on any compatible vehicle, hence it's use when looking at potential purchases.

As for the suspension, the air suspension is one of the great things about these vehicles. There seems to be a lot of chat on this forum about changing to springs, in which case I don't get why people buy these in the first place (personal view; not looking for a debate). The vehicle is far more capable with the air suspension than without it, and despite what you read on forums, it's actually (a) user servicable with a TON of info available on the net and here, and (b) more reliable than forums like this might lead you to believe (remembering that people come to forums like this mostly to ask questions about problems).

Tempting fate here, but I've only had one Disco (a Discovery 3 2.7 turbo diesel) leave me stranded. The IID tool didn't exist back then but if I'd had one I could have solved the problem in 3 mins (it was a re-map that caused my vehicle to basically shut down). In my view these are extremely reliable vehicles if well looked after.

BTW, for those looking at service history and in addition to what's said above, both belts need to be done at 106k miles (from memory). 1-2 hour long job done slowly although the viscous fan is a **** to remove as it only has 3 bolts and standard fan removal kits won't work at all well).

The following 3 users liked this post by pagoda:
gravitylover (10-01-2020), Juancl (10-03-2020), TexasLandmark (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 01:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

That above pretty well sums up my thoughts... why bother to buy a Rover if you’re going to get rid of the air ride that makes it stand above and apart from other choices?

Old 10-01-2020, 01:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

@pagoda which belts do you mean? The 4.4 has a timing chain....and the two serpentine belts are changed sort of "as needed" if I remember.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Talking

Originally Posted by houm_wa
@pagoda which belts do you mean? The 4.4 has a timing chain....and the two serpentine belts are changed sort of "as needed" if I remember.
I mean the two serpentine belts (my point about noisy engines was timing chain and TC tensioner related). I thought it's a 106K service interval - I'll take a look as I think I have the service sheet somewhere, but agree that change may be required sooner 'as and when'. When looking over a prospective purchase I think it's worth checking the condition. I also think that the advice above about checking for TSB-type things (the T-piece is mentioned above as an easy check) is a great point to help get an idea of how actively the maintenance has been managed.

EDIT: Just checked the (admittedly original, i.e. may have been updated) service schedule and it says 150K for the 4.4 (and 105k for the 4.0). Oh well. Mine got new belts early

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
maintenance_schedules.pdf (544.6 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by pagoda; 10-01-2020 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Drifting

@Juancl I hope you don't mind me tagging along on your thread. I signed in and saw an active thread about what I'm going through and couldn't help myself Hopefully some of my questions will also help you.

Sorry for the confusion, I was asking about suspension because I see a lot of talk about problems. I totally understand the part about seeing more problems because people go to forums to ask questions about vehicle systems that they're having problems with rather than talking about how great they are. I've been around enthusiast forums for a few decades now and came to the conclusion a long time ago that people are more likely to complain than to compliment about just about anything, this has made me better at my job too.

A lot of the ones I'm coming across are at used car dealers so it's tough to get a service history from them (most of the time) and I don't have a mechanic to bring with me to check it out so I'd be going through it like I have the last 20+ vehicles I've gotten so I'm bound to miss things or assume something is OK so when I'm looking I ask lots of questions about things I might have to replace after I buy a car. I've reached a point in my life where I would rather work on my own cars than pay a mechanic because I just don't see how I can pay someone double, or more, than I make on a good day so many of my questions go to working on things and I get serious job anxiety so I ask a lot of questions.

Can the Nav unit be replaced with a nice double din head unit? How hard is it to change spark plugs yourself, are any really hard to get to? How hard is it to change the serpentine belts?

Juancl (10-03-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 04:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

My operating rhythm is much more along the lines of: troubleshoot, diagnose, then take it to a real mechanic to turn wrenches. I don't have the space, the tools, the lift....or the patience to do it. That said, I really can't answer your questions about the plugs and belts definitively. I don't think the belts are that tough though based on what I've paid in the past to have them done. I think the plugs are a little more labor intensive.

As for the NAV....I mean, it's now a pretty old system, but I still like it. My phone's Map App does a way better job since it's not based on an old DVD, but there is something about having an integrated system. If you mount an aftermarket system in there you'll lose the 4x4 information display, which quite frankly is more valuable than the NAV. So in a nutshell, don't do it!

gravitylover (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 05:29 PM
Drifting

That's what I was looking for. I know that in many Volvo models the cars systems are tied into the head unit so it shouldn't be changed. At this point I"m ok with using my phone but sometimes these old eyes need a slightly bigger screen.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by gravitylover
@Juancl

Can the Nav unit be replaced with a nice double din head unit? How hard is it to change spark plugs yourself, are any really hard to get to? How hard is it to change the serpentine belts?
Many people have replaced the Nav unit with alternatives. It's not straight forward due to the LR MOST system. I know nothing about this but there's a ton of info on the UK site about folks doing this that would help you understand how much work it is. (People doing the same with the D4 also, although there's a new tablet that looks like something from a Tesla that's getting a lot of discussion on that site).

Changing the plugs isn't hard. The ones at the back are a bit of a pain. Atlantic British website have some truly excellent DIY videos on how to do a load of things, so I'd take a sniff around there. The serpentine belt change is simple enough with one caveat - getting off the fan can be a bitch of a job and took me an hour just to loosen the nut as normal fan wrenches will not work (there aren't 4 bolts on the water pump to lock off and leverage against). My recommendation for that job is spray it liberally with high quality penetrating fluid and let that soak in, and then belt the retaining nut with a long punch (or air chisel if you have air) and that seems to work. Atlantic British definitely have a video on that job and the guy there uses a thin pry bar I think.

Most of the routine servicing on these vehicles is, as has been said above, pretty straight forward. Engine oil is a breeze; diffs are OK; transmission is OK but harder if you want to change the filter (several methods, including a really easy flushing method using a pipe at the radiator). Brakes are brakes. The weight of these vehicles (and the fact some have been offroaded) means they are hard on suspension components. The hubs go and can be a bugger to get off if you don't have air. ARB bushes account for most clunks when going over small bumps. Upper and lower control arms can be culprits for clunnks also. Alternators go, but aren't hard to get it. I have replaced the coolant thermostat assembly in the last year or so, and they seem to be at that age where they get brittle so look for coolant leaks. Even some of the air suspension problems are pretty easy fixes. Parts are readily available and they're not hard to modify and there are some great mods out there.

Last edited by pagoda; 10-01-2020 at 06:24 PM.
gravitylover (10-02-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 11:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 740 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I second the idea that if you are serious about buying you should get an IIDTool and take it with you when you look at candidate LR3s.
Wait, we can do that? I tried mine on my neighbors LR3 and it did not work at all. It read his VIN but that was it, could not pull codes or anything. Maybe I will have to try again.

Quick Reply: Purchase perspective