LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Stability Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 02:26 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Random Stability Warning Light

I purchased a 2009 LR3 a few months ago and I'm slowly sorting out the gremlins. One in particular is baffling to me and I'd love some insight. The yellow suspension stability light comes on at random and there is no fault message at all (checked with 2 different tools). The warning always resets when engine is off. Once I start up, it can be 10 minutes or 1 hour (highway, pothole, incline, etc) before the light comes on and stays until I shut off the engine. Functionally speaking, I don't feel or see any problem with sagging nor do I hear the compressor continuously pumping. Thoughts on how to identify the actual root cause of this problem?

Old 01-04-2024, 03:46 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know. But what I do know is that people are going to ask you if your using the Gap IID tool or similar, that will actually read all of the ECUs as opposed to just the engine ECU. If you're not, that would be the way to identify the root cause, or at least what the truck thinks the root cause is.

And actually I lied a little, and I might know. That sounds eerily similar to what just happened with my new-to-me '06 LR3. I don't yet have and didn't need the tool to read a code though, I could hear the front left air strut leaking. I think it makes the compressor work too hard, and then that trips the light. But a LR-aware tool is your best bet if you don't get "lucky" like me.

Old 01-04-2024, 03:54 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by CantComplain
I don't know. But what I do know is that people are going to ask you if your using the Gap IID tool or similar, that will actually read all of the ECUs as opposed to just the engine ECU. If you're not, that would be the way to identify the root cause, or at least what the truck thinks the root cause is.

And actually I lied a little, and I might know. That sounds eerily similar to what just happened with my new-to-me '06 LR3. I don't yet have and didn't need the tool to read a code though, I could hear the front left air strut leaking. I think it makes the compressor work too hard, and then that trips the light. But a LR-aware tool is your best bet if you don't get "lucky" like me.
Interesting thank you @CantComplain ! I used both an Innova 5310 and Bluedriver Pro OBDII, which I think are appropriate but I'll double check. I'll also creep around my rig to see if I can hear any hissing, but definitely nothing obvious and as I mentioned, the compressor isn't continuously running. Appreciate the tip though!

Old 01-04-2024, 03:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

...are you using a GAP IIDTool or something similar?

Old 01-04-2024, 04:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Hahahahaha.....had to do that.

It sounds compressor related to me. Meaning it could be that you are not building/release pressure adequately due to clogging or leaking in the system. This could be from desiccant getting into areas it shouldn't or because of an air leak such as suggested above. Maybe someone near you owns a GAP tool and can read the code for you. Are you trying to read it while the icon is still lit or after it has gone away?

Old 01-04-2024, 04:05 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Borromeonyc
Interesting thank you @CantComplain ! I used both an Innova 5310 and Bluedriver Pro OBDII, which I think are appropriate but I'll double check. I'll also creep around my rig to see if I can hear any hissing, but definitely nothing obvious and as I mentioned, the compressor isn't continuously running. Appreciate the tip though!
for mine, the compressor cycled off in a "normal" amount of time as well when it was running and parked. It was freeway driving that did it for me. 15 minutes or so and it would trigger the light. Re-set when the ignition was turned off and then freeway would trigger it again. City driving didn't seem to do it though, but I was able to get it fixed pretty quickly and didn't really identify a pattern.

If your leak isn't as obvious as mine was, you can spray the struts with soapy water--that should call it out if it's the issue. there's always the pulling the fuse trick as well to see if/where it dips overnight when you disable the self-leveling. Lot of posts about it.

The following users liked this post:
Borromeonyc (01-05-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 08:03 AM
4wd Low

Hi all, just a quick update to close this out. Short story is that it turned out to be a minor leak of the EAS bladder on the front driver side strut. Recommended that both are replaced so suspension doesn't go wonky.

Anyway, @CantComplain had it right on and the soapy water spray bottle did the trick for me. It was driving me crazy, so thank you! For others in this situation, I also recommend watching this video, which was a huge help in diagnosing -

The following users liked this post:
CantComplain (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 06:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I had similar issues and when i jacked it up to look for a leak i got a big woosh sound which made it easy to diagnose, replaced both struts and all good now although i found a split CV inner boot and a worn LCA rear bush that i need to attend to next.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:24 PM
4wd Low

ah the old bushings - I wish I had the time (and patience) to invest in these Polybush babies to lessen the "sloshing round" on corners - https://www.roverparts.com/steering/kits/9746O/

Good luck with it!

Old 02-26-2024, 07:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Borromeonyc
ah the old bushings - I wish I had the time (and patience) to invest in these Polybush babies to lessen the "sloshing round" on corners - https://www.roverparts.com/steering/kits/9746O/

Good luck with it!
Dont use poly bushes, Meyle HD are the go to bushes. Replaced them 5 years ago but due again now.

Quick Reply: Random Stability Warning Light