LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced compressor and it wont run

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 07:52 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyfishinguy85
brand new complete assembly. Exact match of old one.
Some of the early AMK replacements had an issue... I couldn't remember exactly what it was. I found my correspondence, and it was an exhaust valve malfunction. If yours is not running at all your probably just going to have to wait it out for your GAP to read the fault code. You shouldn't need to reflash for another AMK. I think the reflash was for a temp setting for the AMK. The Air Suspension Control shouldn't be looking for a VIN, etc, as you'll find on other components, unless you physically change the Air Suspension Control module, then it'll throw a message complaining the module doesn't match your VIN. Welcome to the world of Land Rover...

Last edited by 5280LR3; 02-24-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:32 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280LR3
Some of the early AMK replacements had an issue... I couldn't remember exactly what it was. I found my correspondence, and it was an exhaust valve malfunction. If yours is not running at all your probably just going to have to wait it out for your GAP to read the fault code. You shouldn't need to reflash for another AMK. I think the reflash was for a temp setting for the AMK. The Air Suspension Control shouldn't be looking for a VIN, etc, as you'll find on other components, unless you physically change the Air Suspension Control module, then it'll throw a message complaining the module doesn't match your VIN. Welcome to the world of Land Rover...
its just odd that it ran that morning with old pump but had to cycle key a couple times before it ran a cycle and then pulled it to swap out the new one. Now neither run when hioked up to the rig. But if I bench test either with 12v the motors run just fine. I could see it being an exhaust value issue if the pump ran then faulted. Idk, just stuck waiting for the gap tool

Last edited by Flyfishinguy85; 02-24-2022 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:52 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyfishinguy85
its just odd that it ran that morning with old pump but had to cycle key a couple times before it ran a cycle and then pulled it to swap out the new one. Now neither run when hioked up to the rig. But if I bench test either with 12v the motors so in just fine. I could see it being an exhaust value issue if the pump ran then faulted. Idk, just stuck waiting for the gap tool
"cycle the key a couple times" ? Is the engine running when your trying to get the compressor to run? So you say with 12v on the bench both run... what shape is the battery in on the LR3? Can't imagine the battery would be the problem but is a factor between the truck and the bench test. The compressor will run on a 12 volt bench test by connecting power to the large connector, but you're bypassing the temp sensor and whatever else might be connected when installed in the truck, so keep that in mind. I'd also check the wiring/plugs to the compressor on the truck side for damage. Otherwise I dunno...

Old 02-24-2022, 10:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5280LR3
"cycle the key a couple times" ? Is the engine running when your trying to get the compressor to run? So you say with 12v on the bench both run... what shape is the battery in on the LR3? Can't imagine the battery would be the problem but is a factor between the truck and the bench test. The compressor will run on a 12 volt bench test by connecting power to the large connector, but you're bypassing the temp sensor and whatever else might be connected when installed in the truck, so keep that in mind. I'd also check the wiring/plugs to the compressor on the truck side for damage. Otherwise I dunno...
by cycle the key i mean, restart do to fault of slow air increase (the reason for new compressor). Previous owner ran the hell out of it rather then fixing leaks in the valve blocks. All harnesses have been cleaned with crc spray and dielectric grease. No bent prongs or bad wires. Tested continuity on harnesses so no breaks in wires.

Fingers crossed i can reflash ecu and be good to go. Wont get gap tool for another 4 day

Old 02-24-2022, 10:05 PM
Drifting

Also battery is in great shape. Recently replaced

Old 02-25-2022, 01:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Get in and press (dont hold) the raise switch for the Ari ride a few times RIGHT after starting the truck, so you know the command went though to go up. Just try it, want to see what happens if anything.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Get in and press (dont hold) the raise switch for the Ari ride a few times RIGHT after starting the truck, so you know the command went though to go up. Just try it, want to see what happens if anything.
already did. Faults regaurdless upon start

Old 02-25-2022, 02:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Oh, as for exhaust fault... it runs the exhaust before staring the pump every time. Which is why an exhaust fault can happen before it even runs. Why does it do this? To vent the main gallery. The tiny compressor can not fight up to 249psi to get started. So the gallery is dumped so the compressor car start easier.

Edit: As for wiring, you need to pull the wheel well liner and check then harness that sits right above the metal horn. Early years it unbolts, later years welded on. The harness rubs though here in some cases, causing issue.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 02-25-2022 at 02:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Flyfishinguy85 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 03:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Oh, as for exhaust fault... it runs the exhaust before staring the pump every time. Which is why an exhaust fault can happen before it even runs. Why does it do this? To vent the main gallery. The tiny compressor can not fight up to 249psi to get started. So the gallery is dumped so the compressor car start easier.

Edit: As for wiring, you need to pull the wheel well liner and check then harness that sits right above the metal horn. Early years it unbolts, later years welded on. The harness rubs though here in some cases, causing issue.
ill take a look tomorrow when I get back from sea and check for continuity

Old 02-25-2022, 03:48 PM
Camel Trophy

This thread may help with locating the area that can have suspect wires:

https://www.landroversonly.com/threa...1/#post-429259

The following users liked this post:
Flyfishinguy85 (02-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Replaced compressor and it wont run