LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker switch placement???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Does anybody actually use the voice commands? They always struck me as sort of gimmicky, even if they work.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:33 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overhead console can probably only fit 2 rocker switches and I need 3 minimum. Looks like we are going to put them on the console to the left of the radio. Voyager rack getting put on today and I'm ordering lights and rocker switches this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted.....

Old 11-20-2015, 08:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default voice phone dialing

Originally Posted by Zelatore
Does anybody actually use the voice commands? They always struck me as sort of gimmicky, even if they work.
I use the voice dialing feature for dialing my BlackBerry Bluetooth phone but that is about it. The voice dialing works OK as long as I have the windows closed and the heater/AC fan on low; in other words, as long as there is not a lot of background noise which will interfere with the voice recognition system.

I do not use the voice command features for the operation of the NAV or factory AM/FM; it is easier and faster to push the buttons etc.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Sure....I use them. There are times when I want to keep my hands on the wheel. Mostly within the NAV menu.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Ah nav... I don't actually use the on-board nav anyway since it's so out of date and hard to use. I run a 10" Samsung tablet on the dash with Gaia for my off-road nav and it's just much easier to use Google maps for my on-road nav.

I see I've well and truly hijacked this thread. Sorry...FWIW I'll be looking to add some extra switches myself in the future. Right now I only have one for a rear facing flood/work light. it's mounted to the left of the steering wheel near the stock headlight switch.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sawbones
What's "in the very near future"? Weeks? Months? Any hints?

Shhhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone. Still toying with them and the 3D printer

Attached Thumbnails Rocker switch placement???-pod.jpg   Rocker switch placement???-1559846.jpg  

Last edited by WNYErikDiscoII; 11-20-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Well toy faster man! There's a need!

Old 11-21-2015, 12:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default left side better I figure

Somehow, the switches on the left side seems better and probably that side will be easier to use; near the key just looks to be too busy a location.

It is also probably easier to feed wire directly from the left side of the foot well than perhaps also having to go under or over the steering column.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Running wires over the column was easy iirc, had to do that for the factory off road lights

Pods look like a great idea/work in progress

Are you looking to overlay the padding on both sides of the column or replace the padding?

The one on the right looks obstructive if you had all the switches in there and additional keys hooked to the remote, IMO angle it so the side by the column is closer to the dash, I would also consider making a gauge pod option and a rocker/gauge pod option

Again love the idea

Open you can pop off the center dash /radio surround, which includes the vents and mount the rockers on the side iirc that's good and hollow in there and easy to remove

Last edited by TOM R; 11-21-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

We have been playing with both ideas. I think the one to the left is going to win. The one to the right works and operates even with the key there, but it is real tight.

We are currently looking for a plastic guy to make these up. Nobody wants to make less than 500 of them for us.

Quick Reply: Rocker switch placement???