LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The search Begins

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:39 AM
Winching
Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Default The search Begins

So, I settled with the Insurance company and as the flood waters reside, I begin my search for an LR3.

This forum has answered most questions about mechanical issues that may need looked at, and what is most likely to break soon, (I have owned 3 rovers over the years so I know what to expect with these) so those questions are answered.

My questions involve the radio and the various trim levels. My friend who pulled the Rovers from their watery grave previously known as my garage has a 2017 F-150 ( I know having to be pulled by a Ford, but....)

His truck had a feature I want... Android Auto.....

For those who don't know, it ties your cell phone to the radio screen, so all of the voice commands on your phone such as voice calling/answering, receiving and sending text messages by voice and voice instructions to to select a destination and navigate with turn by turn voice guidance are sent though the radio. Basically the phone/text/navigation features for your phone are optimized for voice commands while driving.

How many times have we said, hey, I wish my land rover had a nav system like my phone? well this will give it you. There are a few after market radios with this capability and since I am making a change, now is the time to investigate, so.......

I did a search but seem to be coming up short for three specific questions.

1. Does someone sell a wiring harness kit to remove factory radio and replace with an aftermarket unit?

2. Do they sell a good face plate that matches the dash for the aftermarket double DIN radio?

3. What trim level/radio combinations should I look for, or avoid in order to be able to replace the factory radio?

again like before, thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

Last edited by Rufflyer; 09-12-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: fat thumbs
Old 09-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Others may give you better news but I don't believe it's possible to swap in an aftermarket head unit.... something to do with it being a Land Rover.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Winching
Default It a Land Rover, of course nothing else will fit.

Should have known better than to even ask.

That leads to plan "B". I wonder what aftermarket double DIN unit is small enough behind the screen that it would fit where the sat nav screen fits?

I can figure out how to get a microphone and speakers to the aftermarket unit, and use the LR radio for that, a radio/CD changer.

I did find more info on the Disco3 UK site since my search here. Seems I need to relocate the LR radio so the canbus keeps working and the clock on the dash works and, and rewire a bundle, and ... blah blah blah.......

So, on to Plan "B"

Jeff

Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

You can replace it and it has been done but you loose some information on the dash, the factory amp is bypassed and the can system is somewhat angry

Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I picked up my first LR3 this summer. The PO told me that the OEM radio had gone south, and so he replaced it with a Pioneer touch-screen unit (AVH-4200NEX). That is supposed to support Android Auto, but I've not been able to get that functionality to work yet (haven't tried too hard, though). He had an iPhone and said it worked great with that. I did use the Sirius satellite radio that he'd paid for for the first couple weeks, so I know that works. I think the system looks pretty good as installed (attached a photo so you can be the judge).

I haven't noticed anything acting up in connection with it, though the statement by ArmyRover about losing a clock on the dash makes me wonder...I don't have a clock on my dash - it shows up on the AVH-4200NEX screen instead. If you want, I can dig around and see if I can find out where he had the work done...maybe it's a standard install for one of the usual car stereo places?

One nice thing about the AVH-4200NEX is that there's an add-on unit (AVIC-U280) that adds Nav functionality. I'm probably going to get that, since mine didn't come with the Nav screen in the cubby. This could be a good alternative for those who would like to install aftermarket (or even OEM) Nav in a rig that didn't come with it.

-Captain Sygo

05 LR3 SE

Old 09-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Drifting

The '05 SE I picked up this summer came with a touch screen unit that replaced the original radio (PO had to replace the radio because it went south). I need to re-flash the ECU with my iid tool to see if I can get the dash clock feature to work, but right now, the clock only shows up on the radio. However, since it's an '05, that might have been the case even before the aftermarket unit was installed. This particular aftermarket unit (details in my signature) apparently easily accommodates front and back cameras, and it also supports Android Auto and the iphone equivalent. That said, I'm still working on connectivity to my Android - at present, I can talk through the mic and hear through the speakers, but the Android Auto interface is only working on the phone screen, not the screen for the head unit. I think the issue has to do with which USB port is being used for the cable that the phone plugs into. Apparently, only one of the two USB ports on the back of the device will work with an Android, but both work for an iphone (and the PO was an iphone guy). There's also an add-on Nav unit that can connect to the head unit, so I'm thinking this may be a good workaround for me (and others) with rigs that didn't come with OEM Nav. Saving my pennies to give it a try. Photo of unit in dash is posted below.

Captain Sygo

'05 LR3 SE General Grabbers; Pioneer AVH-4200NEX

Old 09-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Winching
Default That is exactly what I want

Captian Sygo, I did some research on the Pioneer and Kenwood units and one of them said Android in USB 1 and iPhone in USB 2 ONLY, but do not remeber which unit it was. Maybe you just need to pull it out and swap the USB cable to the other port.

Either way I am curious abotu how they by passed the amp, and more importantly how the canbus feels about the radio not being there.

You have given me hope this can be done, so I will look for an 05-06 SE trim level.

Jeff

Last edited by Rufflyer; 09-15-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Drifting

For the Pioneer, Androids can only use the 2nd USB port, but iphones can use either. Since the PO was an iphone user, I suspect that the input is going to the wrong port. I'll try to get in there soon and find out. As far as the canbus acting up, are there symptoms to watch for?

-Captain Sygo