LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snorkel for LR3 petrol

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 11:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts
Default Snorkel for LR3 petrol

I figured a Google search would give me the answer, but I am not finding it. There seem to be two snorkels on eBay. The inexpensive ones, around $160 USD, say they are not for petrol V8 engines, just for diesels. The ones for petrol are four times the price. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they will work. I looked at the ARB site and theirs states it will work with all LR3 engines but for later years (LR4) only diesel. I think the confusion is in the dual intake of the LR4 setup with petrol engines. I bet the inexpensive ones are ruling out petrol because of the LR4, but they don't consider the single intake of the LR3. Physically I can see no difference in design.

Anyone have any input on this? If there is some oddity, I would hate to get one mounted just to find it its restrictive or some other issue.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 07-30-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the ARB Safari on my 07 LR3. I got it just for dust not for water, works well for that although I did get a different top to replace the scoop.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Camel Trophy

Mine just arrived today. $160 and shipped in 3 days from China - which is record setting fast for me. Its an ARB unit, you can even see where they scratched off the ARB web-site. I hopefully will have it installed by weekend end.

What scoop did you get? I will be sealing mine for water crossings as well as other engine bay changes. But its meant more for emergency situations. The main reason for me too is dust control. Not too many paved roads in the Dakotas/Montana.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Mudding
Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy

My god, that thing looks like a food dehydrator! lol

Old 08-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Mudding

Maybe so but it keeps stuff out of my air cleaner. Went on a very dusty trail a week ago and nothing in my box for the air filter. Been on three trails with massive dust, when you are riding tail gunner you get it all. The scoop just pulls it all in, tried stock scoop for several trial runs, even turned it facing aft, no help, and then went to this. I know air filters are fairly cheap but this keeps out even the leaves.
Thought it might change the power but no change at all.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Its an ARB unit, you can even see where they scratched off the ARB web-site.
So $160 for the same unit that ARB charges $500 for, or it's so much like the ARB they even went so far as to emboss the ARB logo and URL on it?

Old 08-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, its either a really good knock-off to the point were they made a perfect copy then scratched off the web address. Or it is the same kit from the same production facility, just being sold being their back. Im not sure if the ARB says "Safari" on the side, but this one is completely blank too and for there, there would have been a module change. The walls are very, very thick (4-5mm) and its a very heavy unit. Not vacuum formed. Fittings are all stainless and the inserts in the main piece for mounting to fender are brass. The rubber tube is a very nice rubber, does not have the cheap plastic feel that poor rubber often has.

I guess I would have to have then side by side to compare really, but they way this one is made I am perfectly happy and could not see spending any more for this kit.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Fitted a snorkel on an LR3 before. The steel A pillars were terrible to drill for rivets and the assembly needs to be carefully sealed for water ingress but the ARB (safari snorkel) can be made watertight or a real 'snorkel'. Probably would not do it again, instead would fit a tube from the air box just to the wing vent like the ROW diesel models have in Europe etc. Several hundred dollars not really worth it unless you are really going to beat that car up. The knock off snorkels are supposedly worse quality plastic/abs less uv stable. Some say not, ARB authored a study to prove this so YMMV.

If you do fit one, pressure test it, and seal up the drain on the airbox

Old 08-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Camel Trophy

I plan to pressure test when its all complete. Right now I need to source better filter box screws. Prior shops or owners stripped them out bad and the box barely seals. Also I do not like the interface between the filter box and snorkel tube end - the elbow. It just does not seem like a very good seal I can trust. So I am going to get a little creative with some gasket material that is better and some nuts and bolts to compress the interface better. Then I will pressure test from filter box outlet to snorkel top. But as for sealing the filter box itself, I am a little adamant in doing so. I am looking into installing a check valve, maybe with a ball float or such. I need to look into that more and see what is viable. But I do feel there needs to be a water exit, I am not convinced that rain will not enter the snorkel when driving.

Quick Reply: Snorkel for LR3 petrol