LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Software updates through SDD

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015 | 02:29 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by munniubhi
The mongoose cable works fine with the SDD software. I haven't encounter any problems as of yet. Reading fault codes and clearing them is not a problem. I have a TDV8 RRS and have had DRL fitted. I want to use the SDD software to enable them when I start the car. I understand that a power supply is required to run updates as it uses a lot of battery power. I was wondering if the power supply be adequate for the job on the link below. It gives continuous charge 25-38 amps.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...C=Mob2MainSite
where did u get the mangoose cable, clone or original Drew Tech cable

Old 06-02-2015 | 10:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

It looks more than adequate. Perhaps even a bit of overkill. I have a ctek 7002 and it has been fine. I do turn off everything, headlights, hvac, etc. Something with a little more oomph would be good.,

Old 06-07-2015 | 04:20 PM
Winching

Please keep in mind there is a difference between a "battery charger" and a "power supply". We keep one of each in the shop, because each has its own purpose. Battery chargers do just that, charge batteries, by pumping lots of voltage into the battery in a short time. Its usually "dirty" voltage which means lots of both DC voltage and AC voltage. Its more about quantity and not quality.

AC voltage can cause modules to not respond properly, which means during a programming session, data can become corrupt and interfere with the programming process and actually damage a module. A "power supply" is very "clean" voltage (little to no AC voltage). It isn't meant to charge a battery, but keep all the modules and accessories powered up for the sake of diagnostics and programming. Our power supply maxes out at 90A, but maintains a steady 13.0-13.5 volts.

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015 | 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I believe I know what you are trying to say, but DC and AC voltage? To the best of my knowledge there is no AC voltage involved in a vehicle unless you are employing an inverter. AC and DC would not play well together on the same circuit.

Old 06-13-2015 | 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by unseenone
I believe I know what you are trying to say, but DC and AC voltage? To the best of my knowledge there is no AC voltage involved in a vehicle unless you are employing an inverter. AC and DC would not play well together on the same circuit.
AC is easier and cheaper to produce. Alternators are less complicated than generators. Alternators generate AC and use diodes to only allow the current to flow one direction, making it into DC. Maybe battery chargers and other power supplies do this too?