LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Split CV boot least of my worries now

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I did get a new angle sensor and calibration and also an alignment. We ALL got fresh alignments after that fiasco. You may want to get to Normal Height and then pull the EAS fuses to get you to the next town.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I assume you don't need a sensor. Once they figure out why the wheel is crooked just calibrate with the IID Tool
Can do. I've seen the screens for the procedure and think you simply point the wheels and wheel straight tell it to calibrate?

Thanks for the advice guys, really helpful and putting my mind at ease for an easy fix tomorrow.

and I'm gettin' a new AMK compressor regardless

Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling

My passenger side tie rod end was majorly loose. The lock nut had completely come off the threads and the rod was almost completely out of the tie rod end. Thus, the crazy steering wheel cant and steering sensor malfunction throwing the errors. Phew.

This car is crazy. Steering angle issue, so let's throw a HDC error. The suspension error I understand and lowering to be safe with an unknown error - but HDC (ABS, brakes) and special programs off. Just odd.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah it does weird $hit like that....have a brake light go out and get a failure of Terrain Response and EAS lowers to access. WTF?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by schwaggy
My passenger side tie rod end was majorly loose. The lock nut had completely come off the threads and the rod was almost completely out of the tie rod end. Thus, the crazy steering wheel cant and steering sensor malfunction throwing the errors. Phew.

This car is crazy. Steering angle issue, so let's throw a HDC error. The suspension error I understand and lowering to be safe with an unknown error - but HDC (ABS, brakes) and special programs off. Just odd.
If the vehicle doesn't know what direction it's pointing, how can it accurately use ABS and traction control to adjust general direction of vehicle relative to wheel speeds. I mean it could keep it straight with ABS sensors, but that doesn't mean that's where you're pointing it. The computers need that info.

Plus it essentially thought you were turning the vehicle one direction for a long time, but there was no lateral motion on the accelerometer sensors and all the ABS sensors were neutral so... basically a typical "plausibility" error since what it was seeing was impossible - wheel turned, vehicle going straight.

Not to mention in the turns, EVERYTHING was off even worse.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by EstorilM
If the vehicle doesn't know what direction it's pointing, how can it accurately use ABS and traction control to adjust general direction of vehicle relative to wheel speeds. I mean it could keep it straight with ABS sensors, but that doesn't mean that's where you're pointing it. The computers need that info.

Plus it essentially thought you were turning the vehicle one direction for a long time, but there was no lateral motion on the accelerometer sensors and all the ABS sensors were neutral so... basically a typical "plausibility" error since what it was seeing was impossible - wheel turned, vehicle going straight.

Not to mention in the turns, EVERYTHING was off even worse.
Very good points. Frustrating, that's all.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

The "smarter" these modern cars get, the more stupid things they seem to do.

It sound like you have this under control, but just a warning that most indy shops do not have the required computer equipped to properly do an LR3 alignments and AMK compressor updates. Both require a specialized computer/software that is prohibitively expensive - probably to eliminate competition to LR dealers.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by morrisdl
The "smarter" these modern cars get, the more stupid things they seem to do.
You say that, but think of the alternative: Ol' Schwaggy may have had a much bigger problem if he was driving along at speed and his tie rod came apart.

Last week I was getting weird messages at start-up regarding my Park Brake and my HDC. Like a fault message but no icon. Well, that led me to find that my battery was getting low. I got a new battery (free, because it was only 17 months old) and away I went WITHOUT getting stranded in some random parking lot because my "smarter" car gave me a sign that the batt was dying before it was dead.

Does one need to "speak Rover??" YES. But I'm fine with that.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Rock Crawling

A language of their own that's for certain.

I managed to get the tie rod adjusted so well on my own, the steering wheel is more centered than it was before I left on this trip. Unless I'm missing something stupid, do I need to have it aligned if it drives straight and the wheels are straight? There's a calibration routine in the IID tool for the angle sensor - would it be wise to do it or shall I leave things alone, especially until I'm done with this trip?

I picked up some blue thread lock and will probably hit the tie rod / jam nut with a couple of drops before the next leg of the journey - it would make me feel better.

You're right Houm - can you imagine that rod dropping to the roadway at speed?
I'm an idiot for not realizing the steering wheel being soooo far off was the sign of something brewing, but it happened slowly until the last day. I was certain the lights on the dash we're the compressor failing. Oh well - now I have that in my back pocket. Not going to install it until I need it - the Hitachi is still doing fine it seems.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

If it's working, and the alignment is that close, leave it until you get home, or come across a LR shop you cared to visit.

The upside of this, is most cars would just end up spread eagle on the road, with no indication of a warning... At least you knew to look for something.. Thank goodness.

I wondered how long that CV repair was going to last. I kind of suspect if the boots have gone to heck, the CV probably isn't far behind would be the lesson here.

I replaced mine a while back, still good, some play, and kept the old ones for spares.. not that I would have been carrying it.

Quick Reply: Split CV boot least of my worries now