LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden Acceleration! Prius Problem with 08 LR3!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 08:52 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This problem has not happened to me in reverse only at idle or moving forward when slowing usually at or just before a stop. Like someone said, always prepared to throw it in neutral or park. Be advised that it then revs to redline bouncing the rev limiter too. So be prepared to turn the key too. After about 30 seconds the truck starts and drives normally (at least for another 6 months or so)

I have replaced both the gas pedal with sensor and throttle body and its sensor. Since the problem only takes place about once every 6 months I will report back if it happens after the parts change. in that case the ECU for $1500 (used) would be next other than random wiring faults. I hate trowing parts at a problem.

It would be good for others researching this problem to post so we have some idea how rare this problem is.

thanks
KC0PAH

Old 02-08-2018, 02:04 PM
6th Gear

Hello Folks, I joined this forum to find out about sudden acceleration. I just bought a 2005 LR3 SE with 106k miles. Very nice car...except I was stopped at a light with my foot on the throttle and revs suddenly pegged at 8000 RPM. Shut it down, turned it back on and same problem. Took it to the local mechanic,. He starts it, it runs fine. Took it to the special LR mechanic. He drives it for a couple of days, checks everything, can't find an issue. I'm going back to the dealer and get another car, but now I'm afraid of the same issue in any other LR3. Any thoughts? What happened?

Old 02-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

You were stopped at a light with your foot on the throttle?

Is there any other info you can tell us? I mean get into the details. This is a strange issue, really. Very few people have reported it here, and this forum has been around for a lonnnnnng time. I also notice that the people reporting this issue have few posts to their (login) names. That's usually a telling sign of....well, BS. One of them (Clark Ritchie) I've at least seen on the board quite a bit and lives in a real place (Bend, OR). The other folks are sort of "pop-up people" so I don't know what to make of their posts.

The other thing is that without sufficient detail it's hard to determine if it's a legit issue or a user error situation.

Last edited by houm_wa; 02-08-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:59 AM
6th Gear
Unhappy sudden acceleration

Sorry, not "foot on the throttle" but foot on the brake. Stopped, foot on brake, car goes to 8000 rpm. I am getting rid of it and am now soured on Land Rovers. I really liked this car, but I'm scared off now. I have also found several other instances of "unintended acceleration" while searching the net. These cars are wonderful, but they are way too complicated computer wise. The LR mechanic was unable to either find anything wrong (nothing in the codes) or duplicate the event. But it happened, for no reason. I'm glad I wasn't moving in traffic. That would not have been good!

Old 02-09-2018, 11:00 AM
6th Gear
Default P.S.

By the way, this is NOT "BS" or"user error." It's an issue. The dealer I bought the car from had never heard of it either. It must be rare, but it's not an isolated report.

Last edited by Alex Lukeman; 02-09-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add comment.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Well....sorry to hear about it. Agree it's rare. I didn't mean to imply that it's BS in your case, only that it's really hard for us (on a message board) to say what happened when we weren't in the vehicle with you and so few details about the operational scenario are given.

If it's something mechanical I'd guess the throttle position sensor, but....I sure don't know for certain, I only know what happens when a TPS goes ****.

Best of luck...

The following users liked this post:
Alex Lukeman (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:42 PM
6th Gear
Unhappy more on unintended acceleration

The only other info I can give is that the codes revealed misfires on all cylinders, which probably fits with the full rpm surge (I'm not a mechanic). There was a loud, metallic SNAP sound right as it went south. I'm thinking there must be flaps or such in the throttle body and the sound was when they suddenly snapped full open. Later, the car did not display the symptom. But when I started it before the tow to the LR mechanic, it idled at 1700. Of course when the mechanic started it, it idled at normal speed. If I thought it would never happen again I would keep the car, because I really like it. But I could never trust it after that...

Let me ask the forum: if you had this experience, would you continue to drive the car? Keep it? Serious question...

Last edited by Alex Lukeman; 02-09-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 02-10-2018, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Has anyone bothered to clean the throttle body? They can get pretty nasty (especially on the backside).

D2 owners tend to think their D2 will explode or be a run away Prius if the TBH is removed, and like Houm_wa said 99% of those claims are by people with 2 post to their names and not a single bit of info to back up their claim.

I've been around LR's since 87 and not a single LR has rolled into the Dealership with a stuck or "frozen" throttle body due to a TBH being bypassed/removed. Now we got plenty of sticking throttle bodies due to them never and I mean never being clean!!!! It's amazing but just a little bit of oil/gunk build up in just the right place can cause all sorts of issues that was only fixed by tearing the TB down to pieces polishing it clean, and putting it back together.

I just had to do it to a friends 03 D2. If you rev'd the engine hard the truck wouldn't return to idle. It was just a little high, removed the TB, and simulated the same thing and sure enough it stuck. It stuck so bad I had to use a screw driver to free it. I cleaned it & it did the same thing. So finally I tore it down by removing the throttle plate, I removed some varnish on it along the outside edge, and cleaned the housing. Put it all back together & it's like new.

LR3 is a little different as it's not cable actuated but it's electronic with a sensor/motor that moves the throttle plate, and yes those can go bad. You can also calibrate it, but if it's sticking I'd look into getting a replacement. Another part on an electronic throttle body that can go bad is the actual gas pedal assembly. If it can't properly read the throttle input then the electronic throttle body won't have a clue what to do.

If it was my LR3, I'd remove the throttle body and clean it very good on both sides of the throttle plate, have it re-calibrated at a LR shop, or have the LR shop test the electronic gas pedal thru diagnostics.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:17 AM
6th Gear
Default Good idea

Hello, Best 4X4,

Thanks for these suggestions. It makes a lot of sense, and this has not been done. It could very well be the problem. Gives me hope! Thanks!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

No problem at all.

Quick Reply: Sudden Acceleration! Prius Problem with 08 LR3!