LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension down, many warnings in instrument cluster. What broke?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:21 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension down, many warnings in instrument cluster. What broke?

2006 LR3 V8, 122,000 miles.
Bought used Jan 2013 with about 70,000 miles on it. Been a trooper until now.
While driving the last 10 miles of a 250-mile run...
Suspension went to lowest setting
Screen showed hill descent control fault and transmission fault
Amber word BRAKE appeared in fuel-quantity/engine-coolant dial cluster

Dealer wants to look at it -- says it could be anything, and is not a "yeah, we see those all the time" problem. Says it could even be as simple as a faulty switch on the brake pedal.

Attempts to lift the suspension to normal driving height are blocked because of the faults annunciated.

Is the car driveable the 250 miles back home in this condition at a stately pace?

Educated guesses on what could be causing this are invited and much appreciated!

Great vehicle for hauling boat, trailer and two big Bernese in all weather, but misbehavior like this has me concerned. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I have this problem

Can be brake lite build or switch, can be the off road selector, abs module, abs sensor, suspension height sensor, wiring issue

Unfortunately you need someone to look at it that knows what to do

You cannot drive it if the transmission disabled is on, it will not shift you could blow the engine

I am guessing speedometers not working, keep rpm under 3 that's what I tell my wife so she can limp home

Ours was reset and not come back so no idea our actual problem yet

The following users liked this post:
M5Z3M (12-01-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 PM
8th Gear

Thanks, Tom R
The problem fixed itself overnight but recurred after 10 miles this morning. On both occasions, this failure lit the DSC amber warning, the transmission amber warning and the word BRAKE in the fuel-gauge/temp cluster. Although the suspension dropped to its lowest setting and would not raise, the transmission continued to shift and the speedo and tach both worked, leading me to feel confident I could drive it 250 miles at a slow pace to spare the largely ineffective suspension from too much abuse. Knowing that the transmission still shifts and the speedo and tach still work, do you continue to regard a 250-mile gentle drive (40 mph max) as inadvisable?
You mentioned that your vehicle was "reset" and has worked since. Were any of the suspect components that you listed replaced, or was it just a reset?
Thanks again for your thoughts.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I would try, as a limp home emergency only, the next time it "Magically Reset Itself", pull the under the hood fuse - F26. Hopefully, when the computer thinks something is wrong, it won't be able to drop the truck. You'll still get all of the warnings, but hopefully able to drive it without it going to the stops. Good Luck!!

M5Z3M (12-01-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Ours had majic reset at first then returned, I did bulbs and brake switch , but still returned, had a dealer tech friend reset everything, he suspects from the codes it is abs module or the off road selector

Stated the off road select and shifter are very sensitive to spills

My sunroof leaked on them for god knows how long before my purchase of the vehicle so for now we wait till it comes back before he delves deeper into it, basicly though, anything can set these off

Mine had most every lite on dash lit and stated on dash; trans limited gears, suspension disabled, park brake disabled/ fault, special programs disabled, couple of lites were even flashing

Had no hi gears in trans, had no speedo, suspension was dropped

If your transmission is working correctly should be OK IMO,

M5Z3M (12-01-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 09:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 462 Likes on 413 Posts

I believe there are a few other fuses besides F26 that need to be pulled to fully disable the EAS, but I was going to suggest the same thing. An old battery can cause this, too.

M5Z3M (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

If you sneeze in the wrong direction during the 3/4 moon phase with the sun slightly out of alignment with mars and are not listening to monks chanting it will also cause it

Lol. But seriously seems like almost anything can cause it there is no 1 fix, knowing codes tripped helps diagnose but only a little

M5Z3M (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 07:22 AM
8th Gear

Made the 250-mile drive north uneventfully yesterday after letting the EAS compressor raise the suspension, pulling fuse F26 and keeping the speed down to 50 the whole way. (Gas mileage went from the usual 18-point-something to 23.2.)
Vehicle is now with my local indie mechanic, who has worked on various LRs and RRs and says he has "ways of making these cars talk." So we'll see.
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'll let you know if, by magic, my guy finds one bullet to blame.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Any chance this is only happening with the headlights turned on?