LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Fault (after Compressor Rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Suspension Fault (after Compressor Rebuild)

I started getting an intermittent "Suspension Fault - Normal Height Only" on the 08 LR3. I noticed this happened more often on hot days (we had a string of 90+ days here in the PNW) and I began to think about the over-temp sensor on a 90K mile tired old compressor.

Not knowing what had been previously repaired/replaced I ordered the rebuild kit from Lucky 8 (drier filters, o-rings, desiccant and piston ring & guide sleeve) and when it arrived set about rebuilding the compressor.

The drier was a mess. Desiccant completely done, filters hard, dried out o-rings and a lot of aluminum corrosion around the connection between the compressor and the drier. The piston ring looked good but the guide sleeve showed scuffing on 1/3 of its surface. Piston cylinder looked perfect.

Repacked the drier, cleaned up the corrosion, replaced the piston ring and sleeve and re-assembled and re-installed in the LR3.

At this point I cracked open a congratulatory IPA and started her up.

Five seconds after starting I hear the compressor come on, nice and quiet and not as "lumpy" sounding as before, I take a sip and smile. Truck then raises up like it always does (our driveway is an incline so the nose drops when parked) I take a big swig and begin to bask in the glory of my LandRover-ness and then....

Compressor stops, fault returns.

Bummer, pour remaining delicious beer on the ground (just kidding, I totally finished that one)

Pulled it, disassembled everything looking for issues in the piston or the drier attachment and nothing. It's clearly pressurizing the system but turning off after 30 - 45 seconds with that fault except now instead of being an intermittent issue it happens every single time I start the truck.

I don't have an IIDTool so I'll be bringing in to the local Indy to get codes read but thought I'd ask here if anyone had ideas or suggestions on test or further diagnostics or even wild *** theories on what might be going on and what to check next.

Yes, I could drop it off at the local Indy and say fix it - but this black mark on my otherwise flawless repair list means my LR manhood is now on the line.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

One thing the IIDTool could tell you, and maybe your indy could, is how the gallery pressure is rising. Mine was not getting up to the requisite ~1750 MPA and then exhausting. This was because of a dying compressor. It could also be due to a leak somewhere. The compressor tries to make the pressure but can't and eventually faults.

Sounds just like what I was dealing with last month.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by houm_wa
The compressor tries to make the pressure but can't and eventually faults..
Great info. I "think" (perhaps wishfully) that the compressor is doing it's job but without the data behind the fault I'm guessing at what presents as a bit of a "black box" problem.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:50 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently completed the same project, reconditioned the compressor and filter drier but still had problems. When the filter drier was first opened I noted about a spoonful of dust on the outlet side of the final filter. It seems the constant vibration from the compressor had caused the some of the dessicant to crumble into small particles and somehow got through the final filter. To investigate the problem further decided to pull the F3 fuse to prevent auto levelling operating and found both front struts had lost air. Decided to replace the front valve block and hey presto my problem solved. Seems the drier particles had caused the valves to leak. not suggesting you have the same issue but you might check if you have an air leak at a valve block.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Good idea. I was actually planning on performing the air leak test this weekend to see if I had leaks somewhere else in the system.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Drifting

just to close this out...I replaced the compressor with a new AMK...no more faults.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Bought the repair kit off Ebay. Followed instructions. Nothing too complicated but it didn't work.

Before I drop $500-$1000 for a new air suspension compressor, any other items I should test?

The following fuses were still good: F3, F26, F35.

Didn't test the relay R7.

How can I test the relay?
How can I test the compressor?
Other items I should be checking?

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

Well...what are your symptoms?

Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Well...what are your symptoms?

Yellow susp fault indicator.
'Normal height only'.
Riding low.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Drifting

LF10 60A was shot.

I replaced it and now this is what I hear when I turn on the Rover. At the start of the video there is no fault msg/light. There is sound coming from the compressor, then the fault msg pops up (dings) when I return to instrument panel.

Here's the video.

Quick Reply: Suspension Fault (after Compressor Rebuild)