LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension fault/bad compressor question ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem driving 250 miles to shop fried compressor new compressor in and re-programmed car ......also changed out transmission fluid too.....
Note: Brian stated many people do not reprogram after compressor replacement and will cause fault lights to re appear...... Running like a champ !!! Great work and VERY Happy..... Before he replaced anything he did check the lines for dust sometimes that causes fault light to come on ....

Old 05-06-2013, 06:43 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a question on my 2006 LR3/90K. From forum research I believe I have a bad ride height sensor, but I don't have navigation to check which wheel it is and the fault code clears itself moments after it comes on, so I can't ever get it to a shop to read the code.

How do I find out which sensor is bad?

background:
my car would raise and lower itself at stop lights randomly. recently (last 3 months) I got random amber suspension fault lights that would immediately clear. It seems like everytime the car does raise/lower, its the front left.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM
5th Gear

can anyone help?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Well definitely getting the fault code read would be a big help. Not sure if many aftermarket scanners will read air suspension fault codes, much less monitor the height sensors' wave form (which is a definite way of diagnosing a bad height sensor). See if you can pull codes or post them. I'll try to post a bulletin later that LR released regarding height sensors.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Overlanding

This particular issue you're having is the perfect time to spend a few bucks on an IIDTool from BritPart. I have the same 2006 LR3 w/ same mileage (but w/ nav), and I had the same problem you're having not too long ago. Not sure if it's related or not, but shortly (within a couple of weeks) after that problem started, my compressor went as well (probably totally coincidental on the timing, but something makes me feel like it may have been extra stress on the system caused by the faulty sensor). The IIDTool will read all of your fault codes helping you to identify which sensor it is, then will assist you in re-calibrating the system once you replace it. That alone will pay for itself (I paid $300? for the IIDTool and $50? for a new ride-height sensor; whereas the local dealer wanted $500+ to do the job for me). The tool is useful for resetting service messages, reading any future error codes, and a few other things that might come in handy too.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Just so you know, carrbar, even if the light goes out on its own, there will be a "history" fault logged in the computer. So even if the light is out, diagnostics can still be done.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the help everyone.

My tech here didn't mention that codes are stored in the history. Do you need more than a code reader to look up the fault history?

Dealership charges $115 just to read codes which is outrageous IMO.

Appreciate everyone's help!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know about other diagnostic systems, but the factory tools will show you every fault in every module, it separates them into related and unrelated faults based purely on what symptoms are selected by the tech when he enters the session.

I recommend asking, up front, and making sure it is noted on the ticket and relayed to the tech by the adviser, that you would like a full print out of the fault codes stored in the vehicle, before any work is preformed.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Overlanding

Even the IIDTool reads (and allows you to clear - all or individually) code history. Anything the dealer has should certainly do the same.

and... "Dealership charges $115 just to read codes which is outrageous IMO." ~Precisely why I recommended the IIDTool earlier...I won't be going back to the dealer here for the same reason (and same issue). The sensor is $50 from bputah and local dealer wanted $500+ to replace sensor and recalibrate. Highway robbery!

Last edited by geoGerry; 05-14-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I needed a key pairing and my LR main dealer quoted an hour at $110, the parts guy said it was because the techs all moaned that the laptops and software was so SLOOOOWWW that it took 20 minutes just to get the car hooked up before they even started.

If enough of us chip in maybe we can buy them faster laptops and save ourselves some money ;-)

Actually I went and bought a Faultmate MSV off a member here and it's paid for itself. At the time IID tool wasn’t available.

Quick Reply: Suspension fault/bad compressor question ?????