LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension fault normal height only

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
@streetsofcompton: (love the login name, BTW): Your fault could have turned red if you'd driven it, particularly at speed. Often times a bad sensor can drive an amber fault and then above 30 mph or so, you get a "Cross-Articulation Fault" and that's what puts you at bumpstops. That said, the amber fault you are getting now that you have new sensors (particularly if you are lifted) could be an "out of range" fault. These occur when you ask for more height and that request takes you above the range that the EAS allows. These do not result in bumpstops and they go away when you cycle the ignition. These are not a big deal but it's good to get your lift dialed in to "just enough" to fit bigger tires or whatever while still being able to go into Extended Height (not Super Extended Height) without a fault.

Changing sensors in pairs may be good practice but I don't believe it's necessary. THAT SAID, the sensor was revised a few years ago and I would indeed suggest maintaining similarity between pairs. If nothing else it'll make calibration easier.

Wheeewwww....that was exhausting. Did I leave anything out?
Haha houm, we'll when you're born with a gangster last name, it's my duty to maintain that status! As good as the movie was, it really cramps my Internet login fame. I use that same username on multiple formats.
Lots of info you shared. What's weird is that before I ever took it into the shop and they diagnosed a bad sensor, there were a couple of times I'd be driving, get the amber fault and in a hurry couldn't pull off to cycle the ignition. Fault would turn red, caution above speed >30 mph yet I was able to get past 30, at times hit highway speed and never got dropped. Guess it really just boils down to the "out of range" thing you mentioned. I still haven't changed the sensors. I ordered the Gap tool a couple of days after their estimate of $750-800, thinking that if the problem continued I would then attempt to buy the parts and do it myself. Got the tool, tinkered with ride height settings and just got the first amber suspension fault in two months, earlier this week. Maybe it's foolish to wait, but until the frequency increases or it actually dumps me I'll keep riding the good wave. Sorry Morgan, didn't mean to derail your thread. Keep us posted as your EAS situation continues.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I think you just didn't hit the right speed threshold. I think 60 mph is it. You are flirting with disaster. The sensors aren't that spendy and re-calibrating is easy now with GAP's Excel spreadsheet.... The parts are more like $300...and this is not an "out-of-range" fault; not as you've described it. Sounds like a bad calibration. Read the "Live Values" for your EAS height sensors using your IIDTool and post them here. We can tell you if your calibration is bad. Or GAP can. E-mail them.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I think you just didn't hit the right speed threshold. I think 60 mph is it. You are flirting with disaster. The sensors aren't that spendy and re-calibrating is easy now with GAP's Excel spreadsheet.... The parts are more like $300...and this is not an "out-of-range" fault; not as you've described it. Sounds like a bad calibration. Read the "Live Values" for your EAS height sensors using your IIDTool and post them here. We can tell you if your calibration is bad. Or GAP can. E-mail them.
You're right they aren't that expensive. Man, on one hand I really hope the calibration is fine given that the same indy shop previously mentioned, performed the service after replacing a hub back in the fall. On the other, it would be refreshing if a new calibration would fix the issue.

I'll try and get the values posted in the next couple of hours.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Camel Trophy

Okay. That will help us eliminate or identify the sensor calibration as the problem. That IIDTool is so awesome. You can even use it to watch live values of the gallery pressure and help determine if you have a leak or a bad compressor (note to the OP).

The following users liked this post:
StreetsofCompton (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Drifting

Alright, fresh out of the D3 tinkering with the Gap tool. So my initial readings are from my usual ride height(+20mm). Also, I checked faults before looking at this other stuff, and had 3 messages from "Suspension".
1. C1A73-1C(2E) - Front right height sensor mechanism - General Electrical failure - circuit voltage out of range
2. C1A13-64(68) - Pressure does not decrease when venting gallery - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure
3. C1A04-1C(2E) - Front right height sensor - General electrical failure - circuit voltage out of range

Current Height/Current Calibration LF :: RF
LR :: RR

-5/219 :: -13/231
0/221 :: -1/197

So, after getting these readings I restored EAS setting to factory normal to see how the readings might change. Something's effed up. I couldn't get it to "stabilize". The compressor kept cycling, on the 4x4 screen the FR tire kept "floating up", hitting the white dash, amber fault, then it would drop back down to normal and repeat. I watched this cycle for 4-5 minutes before deciding that it wasn't going to stop. I restored to my +20mm settings and within 90 seconds it was stabilized. Also, its my belief that the compressor was replaced at 30k miles, 90k miles ago and several years(at least 7-9). It runs loud as hell, but the shop guys told me its because its the Arnott and doesn't have a cover.

Last edited by StreetsofCompton; 03-08-2016 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Compressor info
Old 03-08-2016, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, those calibration numbers look pretty far out there, but the real kicker is your note that when at stock ride height the sensor kept changing data constantly, and you had the 'general electrical failure' errors. It does indeed make me think you have at least one bad sensor. Luckily they are easy to change and only around $100, and with your GAP tool you car reset your calibration once it's in.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:00 PM
Camel Trophy

I agree I didn't see any individual values that seemed way off, but that doesn't mean that the combo of values don't result in a sub-optimal calibration.

Seriously, copy paste that info into an e-mail to: gapteam@gap-diagnostic.com

They are really good and very helpful. You'll have feedback before Noon tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
StreetsofCompton (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Drifting

Thanks houm. Just sent the email out. Ill let you know what they say.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Drifting

And holy ****, y'all weren't kidding about their speedy responses... *13 mins*

"Your issue is indeed related to your FR sensor. Before replacing it, we suggest inspecting the wires between the sensor and suspension ECU (wiring attached). Keep in mind that a bad calibration does not create this type of issue.

Once the problem is fixed, you will have to calibrate the suspension (attached xls). I suggest reading the user manual for further instructions."

Old 03-10-2016, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

They're good....

Quick Reply: Suspension fault normal height only