LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Front Wheels on Bump Stops (no codes)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 02:45 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Front Wheels on Bump Stops (no codes)

New here after many suspension problems lately.

2006 LR3 SE 4.4

Replaced failed compressor and relay today (brand new) and it raises the rear wheels, but the front two wheels are sitting on the bump stops. There are NO fault codes and no warning lights. And now I am beyond confused. I have not seen this exact issue on any forums or online.

Sprayed for leaks and did not find any.

*To note: the previous failed compressor had fault code of "pressure does not decrease when venting gallery" and "computer module." The LR Dealer also cleared the problem with the car and described that somehow the LR3 put/locked itself into transportation mode. This turned the red warning light to the amber light.

Have any of you come across this issue or have any ideas? Supposed to be moving across country and need this fixed ASAP.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

First, do you have Nav? If so, when looking at the 4x4 info screen does it show the front wheels as being out of range or in normal position?

Second, do you have a GAP iiD tool or similar that you can use to manually control and read each corner?

With both, you're trying to see if the computer thinks the front is at normal ride height - if it does that's why it's not moving and I'd be looking at sensors. I'm guessing the truck doesn't think it's out of range or you'd have an error on the dash and you say that's not the case.

If you have the GAP or similar, try to manually raise the front using it while monitoring the height reported by the sensors. You should see it moving in the data stream. Again, if the truck physically moves but the data doesn't change you know to look into height sensors.

Can you tell I'm a fan of the GAP iiD tool?

Old 08-08-2016, 08:04 PM
3rd Gear

Found a leak in the compressor. And now have compounding issues.

I have pulled the fuse to prevent the compressor from turning on and potentially burning it out, which will be replaced.

There was the amber light when pulling the fuse for obvious reasons. However, it switches from the amber light, to the red with the 30mph warning light. It changes to amber and red whenever it wants to while driving. Now lets talk fault codes. I have noticed even though the fuse is pulled, the car does not have a remembered mode when turning the car on, sometimes it will say Access and others Standard. The car will also say lowering and raising, while driving (although it cannot do that). I have erased these codes, but they continue to keep coming back.

"switch activation too long"
"both switches pressed at the same time"

The 3 Amigos amber lights have been popping up with frequency now as well. In addition, and perhaps unrelated, one of my friends was able to open the rear driver's side passenger door while the car was locked. It sets off the alarm when opened, but the door does not lock.

Any ideas where to go from here? I am getting very nervous driving it across the country now...

Old 08-09-2016, 01:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by wallop85
Found a leak in the compressor. And now have compounding issues.

I have pulled the fuse to prevent the compressor from turning on and potentially burning it out, which will be replaced.

There was the amber light when pulling the fuse for obvious reasons. However, it switches from the amber light, to the red with the 30mph warning light. It changes to amber and red whenever it wants to while driving. Now lets talk fault codes. I have noticed even though the fuse is pulled, the car does not have a remembered mode when turning the car on, sometimes it will say Access and others Standard. The car will also say lowering and raising, while driving (although it cannot do that). I have erased these codes, but they continue to keep coming back.

"switch activation too long"
"both switches pressed at the same time"

The 3 Amigos amber lights have been popping up with frequency now as well. In addition, and perhaps unrelated, one of my friends was able to open the rear driver's side passenger door while the car was locked. It sets off the alarm when opened, but the door does not lock.

Any ideas where to go from here? I am getting very nervous driving it across the country now...
What are you referring to by the "3 Amigos" fault lights?

Old 08-09-2016, 01:35 AM
3rd Gear

Suspension, Brake, HDC Transmission Faults

Old 09-14-2020, 03:40 PM
Overlanding
Default SOLUTION for Suspension Fault

Hey guys,
So, I took it in to my local Rover shop here in Portland (Columbia Rovers - really good shop) and they ran a diagnosis on it, and it turns out my rear height sensors went bad. This dropped the truck to the bump stops, and basically just shut it down, disabling the compressor and the whole EAS system. As I understand it, I could have potentially cleared this fault if I had a GAP tool, and put it in build mode, and then I'd have to replace AND recalibrate my new rear height sensors in order to fully resolve this issue.
Hope it's helpful to someone else out there.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Well thank you for following up on here. When folks don't do that, the post has little purpose for others.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
What are you referring to by the "3 Amigos" fault lights?
Classic Discovery 2 Terminology haha!

If you own a Discovery 2, you know the 3 amigos and you hate them with all your soul.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Hahaha ...I know what the D2 three amigos are, that's why I asked what the OP was talking about.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Good luck...

...I have a feeling that wasn't the real problem though. Height sensors almost never go bad, let alone two of them at the same time.