LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail Gate Release No Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tail Gate Release No Power

First post in a while as the truck has been behaving itself, up until yesterday. When I went to open the tail gate there was no click or sound when pressing the upper release. I tried the remote fob to see if that would work and I can hear all the other doors lock and unlock , but the rear latch is silent.

I have tired the emergency release with the lock and unlock buttons on the dash and again - nothing for the rear upper.

I've checks the tail gate switch fuse and its fine and know there are two relays, but can't hear or feel them activating, but its pretty hard to be sure.

I also have the fault code B1D04-14 (2E) which is a bad ground to the tail gate switch, which I have cleared, but its there again each time.

Before I start to delve into the wire diagrams or start to rip apart the rear tail gate, has anyone had this before. Its not the same as the broken release issue, in my case there seems to be no power to the switch (or its not creating the ground to the control module).

Cheers

Old 09-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

No help here. I would open it up and look for a short. etc.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:16 AM
Mudding

Thanks Abran, that looks to be the best option

Old 09-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Take it out, bad ground is easy to test and it isn't the hardest thing to access.

Probably just a loose/poor connection.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:28 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a similar problem and discovered the cable that opens the tailgate had broken and needed repair. IIRC, it made a slight noise when pressing the FOB, but did not open so might not be your issue. Regardless, you’ll probably have to take off the interior panel of the tailgate from the inside to access the cable and open manually. Once you do that, pretty easy to troubleshoot. In my case, $3 of picture wire allowed me to Jerry rig it.
Check out this YouTube video for how to open it up and fix: Good luck.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:34 AM
Mudding

purseon,

Your issue is the usual common one with the failure if the mechanism, mine is by all accounts an electrical issue. Still have to take the inside panel off though.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I remember now, I had an LR4 with that same code. It was the Actuator. The vehicle sensed it was failing and basically shut it down.

I think a simple swap will fix it.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Mudding

Thanks Abran, I thought that would explain this issue, but it would seem not.

BTW I found a neat trick to open the lower tail gate as well. Not sure if this has been posted before, but there is a small holes at each end of the lower tailgate on the inside in the back plastic surround trim that you can get your finder into, just push up on each latch and it releases the lower tailgate latch. I found this as the switch did not release and pushing or pulling the cable of the actuator did nothing either to open the lower gate.

Anyway once I got it all open I checked the lower tailgate switch for a good earth to the neg terminal of the battery and both sides show this strangely, I would expect to see an earth/ground on one pin of the connector, but not both otherwise its like the switch is permanently closed or with the connector removed from the switch there is a permanent short across the pins, unless I am getting mixed up. The way I read this is if there is a ground on both pins that would in effect be like the switch has been pressed and that would then mean the two lower actuator was permanently 'energized' via the CJB. Once power was disconnected (by unplugging the connector) it would 'de-energize' , but its not at any time showing its energized.

To put that more simply, when you push either tail gate button it creates a ground signal back to the CJB to energized the actuators (upper or lower) - I get nothing and yet I have constant ground. Then once the upper latch has opened it activated the ajar switch which removes the ground signal to the CJB, thus de-energizing the actuator.

For the upper, its much the same in terms the actuator that seems not to be energized, although I can't get to the connector on the back of the switch to check for a ground as I've not taken the internal panel off the inside of the upper tail gate yet. That said I've checked the 'ajar' switch on the latch and that is working fine and when I apply 12v across the pins of the upper tail gate actuator, it works just fine; however, there is no voltage showing across the pins, even if press the upper switch above the license plate.

What is strange is I also checked the across the pis of the lower switch and I get the battery voltage? (the black wire with the grey line showing +ve and the totally black wire showing -ve). I was under the impression this switch was just a 'ground' line to signal the CJB to energize the actuators.

I also checked the left lower tailgate actuator connections and there is no voltage, even if I short across the pins of the switch.

So with the doors and fuel cap all locking and unlocking correctly, it tells me the system is working in general, all apart from the tail gate.

Next step is to figure out if there is a faulty relay on the CJB, looks to be two, one for the upper and one for the lower, but the chances of both being faulty is pretty slim.

As its stands at present I seem to be seeing a constant ground and at the same time when I should be seeing a voltage to the actuators, there is nothing.

Any thoughts or suggestions fire away.

The following users liked this post:
Identamerican (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 06:17 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This is very useful and not something I had seen when I had problems with the tailgate

Old 09-13-2019, 08:13 PM
Mudding

It would seem that what I thought were relays for the upper and lower TG on the CJB are actually FETs (effectively electronic relays), so if for some reason they are either not getting a signal from the CJB, or for some reason they have been fried, that would possibly explain the lack of voltage to the actuators. No idea what would have suddenly caused both FETs to fail though. I'll do a little more trouble shooting in the morning when its light.

I also had to replace my battery as that decided to give up the ghost tonight as well.

Quick Reply: Tail Gate Release No Power