LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about purchasing an '08 HSE

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about purchasing an '08 HSE

I'm new to this forum. I looked at an '08 HSE, Rimini Red with Alpaca Beige interior a couple of weeks ago and I was quite impressed with the overall feel of the vehicle. I only wonder if it will be worth my initial "hype". My wife currently drives a Honda Odyssey. We have two young children and the minivan, although nothing special, does suit a lot of our needs. I'm sure with this being a Land Rover forum I'll get a lot of advice to make the move, but I want to know of any unforeseen issues that I'm unaware of right now. I.E., the fuel economy concerns me a little-what are some real figures on that?, also what is the consensus on reliability?, what are others' experience with taking long trips in the LR3/rear seat comfort. Any counsel would be appreciated. I like the LR3 a lot but I don't wanted to talk to experienced owners before I move foward.

Thanks, David

Old 11-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: thinking about purchasing an '08 HSE

Well, there is a lot information all over the forums regaurding your questions about it. I am also considering getting an LR3 but, am not new to Land Rovers. The LR3 is a very advanced vehicle but, has its limitations. It is its technology that enables it to be a very reliable vehicle but, also can be its weak point. The engine in the LR3 is extremely stable in my opinion. The engine used on the LR3 is manufactured by jaguar and is commonly used on their xj series and is an awesome engine. The Fuel efficency will vary naturally... its rated for 14 city and 18 hwy you will probably average around 16 but, some owners report getting 20 and above, it just depends. As far as reliability is concerned they do well but, ocasionally you will need to take it in for service at the dealer. It has about 30 onboard computers and one of them is bound to have an issue at some time. It won't be like your Honda in a sense you will never ever have to worry about a thing. And it takes an appreciation for the amount of technology in the vehicle to put up with some of its short comings.I think the vehicle has a bad reputation but, in all reality is very reliable. You have to consider the type of person that will usually purchase these vehicles often times know nothing about them and complains about the smallest things and tiny details. Your considering buy a 2008 and will probably have very little or no issues because, land rover has really polished out a lot of their issues over the years. The rear seat is considered comfortable but, you are going to have to make a judgement on that. My advice to you is to take a test drive and get to know the vehicle first and do plenty of research on it, as should be done with any vehicle purchase. And you are already doing that asking around here on the forums. But, go to the dealership and test drive one you'll be suprised that the staff is not pushy like many other dealerships and the drive will be convincing enough, trust me.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Three Wheeling

Mileage: 16/20 (once I switched wheels and tires)
If you purchase try and get 18" wheels instead of the 19", as one of the first things you'll wind up doing is getting rid of the OEM tires (GY Wrangler HP), and there are a lot more options and prices in the 18 vs. 19.
Also try to get an extended warranty (from Land Rover, not a 3rd party) in on the deal if you're buying from a dealer.

I have an 06 HSE, and no major issues reliability wise. I've taken multiple 500+ mile trips and there were no complaints from the family. Well, actually the wife did mention her dislike for the non-adjustable headrest on the front seats (which is a good thing since it keeps her from wanting to drive as much [sm=smiley20.gif] ). I've been very happy with it.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: carrman

I'm new to this forum. I looked at an '08 HSE, Rimini Red with Alpaca Beige interior a couple of weeks ago and I was quite impressed with the overall feel of the vehicle. I only wonder if it will be worth my initial "hype". My wife currently drives a Honda Odyssey. We have two young children and the minivan, although nothing special, does suit a lot of our needs. I'm sure with this being a Land Rover forum I'll get a lot of advice to make the move, but I want to know of any unforeseen issues that I'm unaware of right now. I.E., the fuel economy concerns me a little-what are some real figures on that?, also what is the consensus on reliability?, what are others' experience with taking long trips in the LR3/rear seat comfort. Any counsel would be appreciated. I like the LR3 a lot but I don't wanted to talk to experienced owners before I move foward.

Thanks, David

Have you checked out the "The Greatest Rig of All Time" for sale? [sm=hail.gif]