LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help out a prospective LR3 owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help out a prospective LR3 owner

Wife and I are shopping for a true 7 passenger vehicle that can easily handle snowy New England hills (and maybe I can sneak it offroad [sm=lildevil.gif]), and the LR3 is on our short list. 2006MY SE w/ V8 specifically. I've tried to do as much research as possible but I'm looking for more input.

1) LRs as a brand get a real bad rap for reliability, and I can't seem to get objective answers about the LR3 reliability. I've seen complaints about air suspension faults, leaky roofs/windshields, and some rattles, but I've no idea how widespread the issues are, or if there are any other serious complaints.

2) I have a small (short) garage - 72" to be exact. I've seen the height of the LR3 listed at 74.5", but since the suspension is height adjustable, at what setting is this measured? Can the truck be driven in the lowest mode (access mode, I believe)?

3) Can anyone comment on the ease/difficulty of accessing the 3rd row with 2 carseats in the 2nd row?

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:11 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Please help out a prospective LR3 owner

ORIGINAL: trackstar

Wife and I are shopping for a true 7 passenger vehicle that can easily handle snowy New England hills (and maybe I can sneak it offroad [sm=lildevil.gif]), and the LR3 is on our short list. 2006MY SE w/ V8 specifically. I've tried to do as much research as possible but I'm looking for more input.

1) LRs as a brand get a real bad rap for reliability, and I can't seem to get objective answers about the LR3 reliability. I've seen complaints about air suspension faults, leaky roofs/windshields, and some rattles, but I've no idea how widespread the issues are, or if there are any other serious complaints.
I was worried about the same issues I bought an 05 se v8 7-pass I did have a leaky sunroof but it was replaced under warr. but no serious complaints I beleve most of these issues have been taken care of. I would recomend getting one with a warr just to be safe. GET THE WINTER PKG.

2) I have a small (short) garage - 72" to be exact. I've seen the height of the LR3 listed at 74.5", but since the suspension is height adjustable, at what setting is this measured? Can the truck be driven in the lowest mode (access mode, I believe)?
74.5" is standard mode with roof rails; so withour roof rails you may squeeze in but is should fit in acess mode; remember you can just raise your door height in most cases it is fairly inexpensive and simple. http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Ve...3/Overview.htm

3) Can anyone comment on the ease/difficulty of accessing the 3rd row with 2 carseats in the 2nd row?
It should be fine you may want to have the seat already in an acessable possition, those car seats are wide. I will know for shure come number 3 in july

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: trackstar

Thanks!

1. Well, I've had no suspension faults, no leaky roofs or windshields, no rattles, but I have had my fair share of trips to the dealer for simple, minor stuff. If you measure reliability by never having to take the vehicle to the dealer, then this is not it because you WILL become aquainted with the local dealership. However, if you measure reliability by how many times it leaves you stranded on the side of the road or on the trail, Then I can't say I know of any LR3 owners that have been left stranded, so far.

2. It can be driven in access mode up to 22 MPH if I remember right

3. 2 car seats should take 2 seating positions in the middle seat leaving either end seat to fold forward to gain access to the 3rd row easily enough. I don't think that would be a problem.

I guess at the end of the day, even knowing the little quirks of the LR3, I can't think of anything else I'd rather be driving.., except the super charged big brother Range Rover, maybe

Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 AM
8th Gear

I've had my '05 LR3 for about a year now. I just had a suspension fault. Didn't really cause any issues as far as driving; the biggest annoyance was the bell 'dinging' when you start the car to remind you that there is a suspension fault...but since it is my wife's car, it didn't annoy me too often. [8D] Occasionally, you could hear and (barely) feel the suspension try to adjust itself at a stop light. It is still under warranty and it took a half day for the dealership to repair.

It also had a leaky sunroof when i got it, but was also a quick fix under warranty and haven't had any issues since. I don't know if others experience this, but one thing I have noticed about this model is that the roof sounds like it is made of tin when it rains. It is not overly loud and the ride is quiet otherwise, it is just weird when you first hear it.

We had a Discovery II before this and even though it had its share of repairs, we really fell in love with LR. Like I said, my wife is the main driver and our 5 year old is mostly with her (with another on the way) and I always feel better knowing that she is in this car versus some minivan or other 'family' car. The LR3 will get her out of whatever gets in her way, including Minis and I know she is well protected. This is a very heavy and capable vehicle, it was hard for us to think of putting my wife and child in something less when it came time to get another one.

As far as child seats and the third row, I just want to offer that we got a Radian80 and it is one of the most narrow seats I have seen which makes it easy to put them next to each other and still allow the end seat to fold forward. The LR3 is vastly improved IMHO over the Discovery II in getting into the back (2nd) seat and they also made it as easy to get into the 3rd row.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Actually with two seats you'd have to put them behind the two front seats, as the center position does not have seat tether points of its own (it does have a rear one though). So if you tried to put them in one on a side and the other in the middle you'd be trying to attach two tethers to one point. Which is probably not advisable from a safety perspective and very difficult from a physics perspective, as well (getting two hooks into the space). There is also an issue with the plastic sleeve that comes down from in the seat when you attach in the center position and then move a side seat to get into the 3rd row.

So the only possible solution would be using the lap belt in the center and rear tether for the center position. However, the manual advises against putting a seat in the center position.
Ours is currently in the center, and we'll have this same issue come February.

The other solution is to have one of the 3rd row seats up and the other down and enter from the rear fold down door.