LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a LR3

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 04:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

The EAS can not really leave you stranded. Worst case, it drops to stop but its 100% drivable. Yet I have seem plenty of Toyotas break leaf springs which actually does result in being un-drivable.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
The EAS can not really leave you stranded. Worst case, it drops to stop but its 100% drivable. Yet I have seem plenty of Toyotas break leaf springs which actually does result in being un-drivable.
Not if you came in on a trail that needs ground clearance. Plus, larger tires and bump stops equals rubbing and no turning. Having had trail failures with mine, it’s always in the back of my mind which ruins the adventurous spirit.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by RickyN29
Not if you came in on a trail that needs ground clearance. Plus, larger tires and bump stops equals rubbing and no turning. Having had trail failures with mine, it’s always in the back of my mind which ruins the adventurous spirit.
Oh and also just a brake light burning out causes dropping suspension and disabiling off-road modes, transfer case, etc. It’s definitely a love hate relationship!

Old 04-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

What kind of failure have you had? Air line damage is easy to fix with a push coupling. No one would go on a trail without a properly maintained compressor. So did you have an old air shock that somehow tore?

Old 04-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
What kind of failure have you had? Air line damage is easy to fix with a push coupling. No one would go on a trail without a properly maintained compressor. So did you have an old air shock that somehow tore?
I've had a couple. First, previous owner replaced rear valve block and swapped lines (not really the vehicle's fault)...but worked perfectly fine until some strong articulation on the trail, system saw the issue, dumped to stops. Second, had a height sensor die, same thing, off road, dropped to stops. Third, thankfully in a parking lot and not on the trail...brake light switch died...back to stops. Fourth, also thankfully not on the trail, compressor internally detonated suddenly.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts
Default Internally detonated??

...please describe.

Sensors don't just die, either. It was likely a calibration issue or torn wires. Anyway...ALL of those issues can be handled easily on the trail. Reboot system, select off-road height, pull F26. Big whoop. No more drama, Mary J!

Last edited by houm_wa; 04-18-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
...please describe.

Sensors don't just die, either. It was likely a calibration issue or torn wires. Anyway...ALL of those issues can be handled easily on the trail. Reboot system, select off-road height, pull F26. Big whoop. No more drama, Mary J!
Houm_wa, if it wasn’t for you I’d still be broken down! Many thanks for all your help when I first got the Rover!

As for the detonated compressor, I still need to open it up and see. Previous owner just had it put in before I bought it. One day, suddenly, I heard literally a jack hammer under the car. Compressor was shaking itself so hard it was slamming into the frame rail. I can only assume something failed catastrophically inside.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Wow!

First off, you're welcome. I am glad I could help.

Second, that sounds like a one-off situation with the compressor and a scary one. Maybe he went with a cheap product and/or install? Let's rule that one out. My point is that in most cases, and I mean in the high 90% range, on-trail issues that put the EAS at bumpstops can be detected/avoided/fixed and you can get home. I've had a pretty bad one myself, but I got out of it....and in retrospect I should have known my shock was suspect because of the knocking sound that was being made. Nowadays we can jack up the front end pre-trip and make sure there is no interference between the upper control arm and the shock.

The EAS is higher maintenance, but I believe in it. Toyotas are turn-key, I won't argue that...but Rovers are just better.