LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire cupping

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 05:32 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire cupping

After first few thousand miles on LR3 HSE, I noticed increasing road noise and a slight shimmy. Land Rover service said it was from tire cupping. Tires were rotated and vehicle was realigned. Problem persists with vehicle now at 20,000 miles. I was told by two Land Rover service centers that Land Rover made the wrong choice of factory installed tires. That the Goodyear's have been a problem and I should choose Michelin's when it's time for new set. I have seen other posts by owners with same problem. Does anyone have similar experience and what was your solution? I don't want to have to put up with this until it's time for new set of tires!

Old 02-08-2007, 07:08 AM
7th Gear
Default RE: Tire cupping

have u had a correct wheel alligment carried out to landrover rover specs as it was changed due to tyre wear

Old 02-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tire cupping

When I first test drove the LR3 earlier last year I was almost turned off completely by the excesive "bumpiness" I noticed while on the test drive. As I complained about this to the salesperson, she assured me that it was a common problem with the rovers that sit for extended periods of time on a lot. The tires sorta aquire memory on the small indentation that forms at the part of the tire in contact with the pavement when in the same position for long periods of time. She then switched to another vehicle that had been driven more consistently and sure enough the problem was gone!
Later on that year I bought the LR3. I made sure the one I purchased didn't have this problem when I test drove it. At any rate, no problem as of yet on my new purchase. However, I do agree that this seems to be a bad choice of factory tire for a Land Rover and while we are on the subject, for those of us with 19" wheels, also a VERY bad size choice as well for a vehicle that is suposed to be in a category by itself when it comes to off- roading. There's nothing "off roading" about 19" wheels and low profiles.
I fully intend in the very near future to purchase some 18" wheels and some Nitto Terras to permanently fix the problem. I also own a Lexus GX 470 and was used to the smoothness of the Lexus ride ( Michelin Tires). The air suspension on the Rovers simply can't quite keep up with the bumps on the road like a Lexus can, specialy here in the bay area in California where the tax dollars are being used in everything under the sun EXCEPT to fix the roads. The lower the profile on the tires, the bumpier it rides.

My advice, get some Nitto Terra Grapplers and put some serious "attitude" on the looks of the truck as well as improve BOTH the on road and off road performance of your vehicle.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:32 PM
7th Gear