LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Module Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System Module Failure

We re getting flashing dash light that alternatively will also go solid on our 2007 LR3. Anyone experienced similar? I am told the module is behind the interior lights, in the headliner above the center console.
Anyone tried to pull this to end the pain?

Pointman

Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

I though it was under the headliner above the C pillar, driver side. Lemme go see if I can find a tech note.

edit: Yup, behind the sunroof area on the cross beam. Although that seems to mean the B pillar... pretty sure it was C. In any case, its up there somewhere behind the sunroof. If you have the IID tool you can just deactivate it that way, FYI.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 01-15-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:06 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you! I don't have the tool, but will now look at deactivation or replacement.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

Does your headliner have any sagging areas? Might be a good time to have it recovered if you're going to pull it to access the Module.

Its something I plan on doing down the road so when I have it out, I'll probably go ahead and replace the TPMS module just for good measure.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:19 AM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

What does the info screen say? You may have more than one tire sensor that is bad and often get the same message as if the module is bad.
Do you show communications errors between the TPMS module and other CAN BUS modules?

Have you confirmed that all of the tire sensors have good batteries? What about confirming that the antennas (screwed onto the backside of the inner fender wells) all have good connections? Do you have a full size spare? It may not be working properly as well.

You may have to take it the local tire place (insert favorite brand of store here) and they can check battery strength for you. If it is a wheel sensor make sure they use a VDO or Land Rover brand as these things can be picky when it comes to the TPMS sensors. The light may not go out right away as you drive off, and it is disappointing to have to return to tell them their new sensor does not work.

IF you do replace the module, here are few things to think about.

The TPMS module is not hard to get to, just remove the center light-A/C controller from the headliner and look to the left side of the car. You can pull down slightly and unhook the connector over the left rear door giving you a little more room, but if you pull too much more, you could bend the headliner. I don't recall exactly but are two bolts that hold it in are either an 8 or 10 mm size. The one closest to the outside is a little difficult, but not impossible. Make sure the ground strap on the inside one is placed around the bolt when you put in the new module.

Hope this helps.Let us know the outcome.

Jeff

Last edited by Rufflyer; 01-19-2020 at 08:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rufflyer:
renli3d (06-25-2022), serg215 (01-21-2020)
Old 06-27-2021, 06:40 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input....tire shop confirmed individual tire sensors we good...the TPSM light has been off and on erratically since I bought the car year couple of years ago....the spare is not a full size, and consequently does not have an individual tire sensor...It looks like the original spare...anyone know if they were supposed to come equipped with one. It is puzzling that sometime the light on the TPSM comes on,...then sometime it stays off. Wonder if I put one on the spare time it that might fix the problem.
I like your solution better than the book solution...even thought of cutting an access panel in the headliner. that hvac switch attached to the headliner or just wedged in there?

Old 06-27-2021, 06:44 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the response...the spare tire does not have one....do you know if it should and If it does not, could that be the cause of the problem...the light works erratically...stays on more than it stays off...been doing this since I bought the car a couple of years ago.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:47 AM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

If the car was first built without a sensor in the spare tire, depending upon the year, it may or may not have the TPMS antenna near the spare tire. If it has the antenna, it can be programmed to look for the spare. If not, then it is as originally built and will not show a code based upon spare tire pressures.I had a 2007 that the local tire place said all sensors batteries were good, but light went out after having all four sensors replaced.

The light coming on then going off can be for three reasons. 1. the module is bad, the modules has a poor ground connection, or the batteries in the sensors are right on the verge of being run down, and based upon the temp, may show good or bad.

If you are sure it is the module, A/C light panel in the headliner can removed by just pulling down from the front and it should just come un-clipped. The module is just to the left (drivers side in the US).

Hope this helps

Jeff

Old 06-27-2021, 10:53 AM
Drifting

Thanks for your comments. Think I will see if I can replace the batteries in the tire sensors first...do tire stores do that or does it take a special technician? I wiull post an update when I solve the problem.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:47 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS Module failure

Is it possible that my a lot of electrical issues can come from one failed module (TPMS in my case)? Just recently my air suspension stopped working and the motor (air suspension) is only 6 months old. I have a mechanic telling me that a lot of my issues are due to the module needing to be replaced. Is there any truth to this?

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System Module Failure