LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Module Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 01:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I haven't used one. I feel like I've heard some bad pub on that brand (on this site and others) but don't quote me on that.

Edit: https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...m-88765/page2/

Check out post #11. The person making that statement, Abran, really knew his stuff and I would trust that feedback. Written in past tense because I haven't heard from him in a while; hopefully he is doing well. He helped a lot of us on this board.

Last edited by houm_wa; 06-27-2022 at 01:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by houm_wa:
douglastic (07-05-2022), Misti (06-27-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 08:07 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok....so I was told by my mechanic that my TPMS module is bad and that it is running on a BUS (?) so it is causing electrical issues on anything after that BUS(?). I honestly feel like I sound ridiculous since I don't know what all this means....please bear with me. Is there a way to just bypass the module (I don't need a sensor telling me my tires are low, I can see if they need air) or do I have to replace it? I have a 2006 Land Rover LR3. Also....found out that the Dorman air suspension motor that was put on my vehicle is not a good one to use....at all. So, I am either going to replace the whole system or do the air to coil conversion. Any suggestions on which I should do and if I should do the conversion, which one is the best to get?

Old 06-30-2022, 10:34 AM
Camel Trophy

I wouldn't do the conversion. The EAS is a great feature and worth saving. How many miles? Do you know if your airsprings are original? You can look on them and it will say the date of install. I would get an OEM Hitachi compressor or AMK. Also, it sounds goofy but yeah, the CANBUS is a network for different onboard computers and sensors to pass data back 'n forth. Airplanes have them too.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:02 AM
4wd Low

I have 191000 miles on it and I know for a fact the rear are not the originals, I had them replaced. I'll probably try to keep the air suspension. About the other, can I bypass that module so that the other electrical stuff will work or for I have to replace it? And if I do replace it (TPMS module), does Land Rover have to program it?

Old 06-30-2022, 04:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Not sure about TPMS disable...

...but I doubt it's the culprit. More likely when you get a good compressor installed those other issues will be corrected. Do you have water ingress issues? If you have had wet carpets, that can cause electrical issues.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Is TPMS is on the CAN bus, and it should be, then yes a faulty module can cause network corruption. This is one of the design faults of the CAN bus. While it is a bus, you an unplug a module and it will not interrupt the network. Disabling TMPS may or may not help the CAN bus fault, since the module will still be alive on on the network even if not being used. If replacing, TPMS does not need programming, but they will take awhile to sync up the sensors and since the modules are so prone to failure, a used one is a gamble.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:01 AM
4wd Low

Thank all of you for all the information....has been very helpful when discussing things with my mechanic (yall have made me sound a bit more educated &#128512. Soooooo, I have had some wet carpet in my front floorboards...thought I had a leak somewhere....what does that mean? Also, going to try to unplug the TPMS module and/or replace it, see what happens.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (07-01-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 12:02 PM
Camel Trophy

There are three main ingress paths for water. One is the sunroof drain(s), another is the cabin filter box and the third is the A-Pillar. Some searching on this forum will yield a plethora of information. The leaks are not that hard to fix. You'll want to take up the carpet on the floorboard where it was wet. Dry it out (if it's still wet) and also look at the wiring looms there and see if there is corrosion or broken connections.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufflyer
What does the info screen say? You may have more than one tire sensor that is bad and often get the same message as if the module is bad.
Do you show communications errors between the TPMS module and other CAN BUS modules?

Have you confirmed that all of the tire sensors have good batteries? What about confirming that the antennas (screwed onto the backside of the inner fender wells) all have good connections? Do you have a full size spare? It may not be working properly as well.

You may have to take it the local tire place (insert favorite brand of store here) and they can check battery strength for you. If it is a wheel sensor make sure they use a VDO or Land Rover brand as these things can be picky when it comes to the TPMS sensors. The light may not go out right away as you drive off, and it is disappointing to have to return to tell them their new sensor does not work.

IF you do replace the module, here are few things to think about.

The TPMS module is not hard to get to, just remove the center light-A/C controller from the headliner and look to the left side of the car. You can pull down slightly and unhook the connector over the left rear door giving you a little more room, but if you pull too much more, you could bend the headliner. I don't recall exactly but are two bolts that hold it in are either an 8 or 10 mm size. The one closest to the outside is a little difficult, but not impossible. Make sure the ground strap on the inside one is placed around the bolt when you put in the new module.

Hope this helps.Let us know the outcome.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, what does this mean? "Make sure the ground strap on the inside one is placed around the bolt when you put in the new module." .

When I removed the headliner I saw a wiring cable right very next the tpms module, on the right screwed with a bold in the roof. Is that the ground? Also, will I have a issue if I do not attach the tpms module with its bolts? I left it plugged but loose without bolts in the headliner.

Old 01-11-2023, 06:42 AM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes, that short wire needs to be securely connected to that bolt to get the module to work right.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System Module Failure