LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyota guy looking at LR3s

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota guy looking at LR3s

As the title says, I'm a Toyota guy, currently have a 100 series Land Cruiser and a Tacoma so it's hard for me to venture outside of Toyota products. I bought a 1996 Range Rover back in 1999 and I'l be honest, I had a lot of issues with it so when my wife said she really wants a used LR3, it worried me. I read Edmunds reviews and Car Complaints and I'm not seeing a lot of problems with the LR3. It will mostly be used as a commuter back and forth to work for her but I don't want something that will always be in the shop. I know most of you guys are big fans, just like if you go to a Toyota forum but I figured I would get an honest opinion here also. I've read about the lower control arm issues, is that something that will have to be dealt with on all of them? Is it costly? Any other items I need to be concerned about? I think they are one of the best looking SUVs on the market but I'm worried about reliability. My current Land Cruiser has 230,000 miles on it and besides 2 timing belts, and normal items like brakes, I've never had it in the shop. I sold my last one with 350,000 miles and had the same service from it and it was still going strong when I sold it. We're looking at spending between $10,000 - $13,000 so we're probably looking at a 2007 - 2009 with around 100,000 miles or less, good idea or bad idea? I hate to bring up Toyota's again but I wouldn't have a problem buying a Toyota with 200,000 miles, just not sure I would feel the same with a Land Rover, maybe you guys can change my mind. Thanks!!

Old 02-12-2018, 07:03 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Nobody makes a better vehicle than Toyota.
There's a reason the Tacoma has the highest resale of any vehicle.
I have a D2, and the LR3 is a better vehicle.
I don't care who says what, you can't compare any LR to a Toyota. Just look at Any used LR, RR, and they all have a list of problems.
Quality, dependability, high mileage, sure, there are some good LR's out there...some.
You buy a new LR,RR because you can afford it, and the dealer service.
You buy a used LR, RR because you like them, and are prepared to work on them, and spend more money than they're worth. It's a sickness.
I'm not saying you can't buy a good LR3 and enjoy it.
But it'll never compare to a Toyota.

The following users liked this post:
10ga (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I don't think you should do it.

...not because the LR3 isn't awesome - it is - but because of your use case.

1. The LR3 is not an SUV, it's a 4x4. It's nearly 6000 pounds and while I find it reliable and durable, it is also high maintenance and expensive to operate. So your statement that it would be your wife's daily driver is what makes me think you will be happier with something else. I don't daily drive mine and I'm a lot happier with it because of that.

2. When you buy a used LR3, you just don't what you are going to get. Did the previous owner know about the plastic coolant bleeder that cracks and already replace it? Did he/she overheat the engine, even just a little, first? Things like that...

To answer your questions....the lower control arms last about 50,000 Miles before the hydrobushings wear out. It costs about $1500 I think to R&R those, these days (dealer prices). Yes you will have to address that....whenever that 50k is up so again it depends on the PO. You can get polybushes pressed in though, and they should last longer. I think they have gotten mixed reviews....and I have kept mine stock because I don't drive it much so 50,000 miles is like 15 years for me.

So mull it over; if you still want one, I do know of a vehicle that a member on another forum is selling in WA state and by the looks of it and list of repairs it is in superb condition.

Best of luck.

10ga (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 PM
4wd Low

Guys, I really appreciate the honest opinion. I think you're both right, not the ride for my wife.

BTW, here's a pic of my 98. I bought my first Cruiser 25 years ago and I've had one since. I will admit, I would still like to have one of the older Range Rovers and make it a trail rig. There's just something about them that's very cool. Thanks again for your help

Old 02-12-2018, 08:20 PM
4wd Low

BTW, I spotted this cool old RR last week around Athens, TN. It was the mascot for an outdoor store

Old 02-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Both my wife and I daily drive our LR3s. I also wheel mine. I agree though they are not Toyota. They will require more care and feeding but they are worth every turn of the wrench

10ga (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:28 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with ArmyRover... bought mine two years ago and it was neglected but after spending a few grand to bring it up to spec, I have daily drove it without a hitch. I did have to replace the front lower and both upper and lower rear control arms and the price was $3500 including the labour to have them installed and aligned.

My philosophy on used car ownership is if I am spending less than an average of $2000 a year for maintenance, then I am better off than making payments on a new vehicle and i know what I got. That said, you have been spoiled by the Toyota reliability blessing... unfortunately that doesn't match the reality of most other used vehicles...lol

10ga (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Ahhhh but here is the catch. @ArmyRover said: ".... I also wheel mine."

If you are ONLY daily driving it, then there are better choices. That's all I really meant. If daily driving it is a necessity but you are also going to go use it for what it's for, it is an outstanding trail rig and the choice of the LR3 is more reasonable.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

But the wife's 07 is a street queen. It's a fantastic family truckster as well.

Her truck has been normal maintenance. Mine is the one that takes a little something extra lol.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah...so I'd argue that for your wife there are better options. If I weren't wheelin' it I'd take an X5 over the LR3. Way better on the street. It comes down to personal preference though...and that is not something that can really be argued. So to each their own, I was merely giving the OP my opinion because, he asked.

Quick Reply: Toyota guy looking at LR3s