LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Error - Can't start vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 04:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS Error - Can't start vehicle

I ran to the store a few weeks ago, and everything was fine, got back in the car to come home, and it won't start, TPMS error and the radio actually said system rebooting. So I let that go finish, and the car won't start, the TPMS error is preventing it from even turning over. After about the 3 or 4th try it finally started and I was able to get it home. I did some quick research, check the tire pressure, all were good, car started up like nothing happen. This is in the span of 30ish minutes and no major temp swings. Other than driving 3 miles and back. The car was sitting and knew it was about time for a battery and after testing replaced that as well. It was able to make it to get the battery and home. Car has been sitting for about a week, and tried starting it again today, got the TPMS error and it won't turn over at all. I'd drive with it if the light was on, but at this point I'm locked out of even starting it don't want to risk getting stranded somewhere.

Any ideas? (07 LR3)

Update: checked all tires including spare and all are correct PSI. Still won't turnover and just get the TPMS error.

Last edited by Wtrdog; 01-14-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:28 PM
Three Wheeling

So pulled the Tire Pressure Monitoring fuse (glovebox) started right up with transmission, parking brake, maybe another warning light, turned it off, put the fuse back and in and looks like we are reset, all lights cleared. Love the vehicle, but damn they are some picky beasts.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default You're not done...

...still seems like you have a voltage issue. You've got to figure out why. Are you sure the battery you bought is worth a crap? You might check the ground connection of the negative cable. If you're gonna keep the LR3, I suggest you buy a GAP Tool.

Old 01-14-2022, 07:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah that’s on the list. Battery is an exact replacement for what I had for the past 4 years. Battery measurements are in spec. Any tips for anything else to check?

Old 01-15-2022, 11:45 AM
Camel Trophy

Not really ... anything related to juice, I guess. Alternator?

Old 01-15-2022, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Yeah it started up fine last night, even this morning a few times, no issues. Then just before I pull into the driveway, get the error and won't start at all. Tried pulling the fuse to see if I can get it to at least start and nothing. It's getting close to not being worth the effort to keep sinking money into it. If it's an easy fix, great, but the boss is done putting money into it.

Old 01-15-2022, 12:41 PM
Camel Trophy

If it's intermittent like that and the battery is new, I'd be looking hard at that negative battery cable..did you look at that?

It's worth the money! You tell the boss ...there is nothing else really like the LR3. Body-on-frame, V8, 4WD. They are just making crossovers now with unibodies and AWD...and good luck finding a V8!

You gonna go buy a Honda Pilot?? Fix it!

Old 01-15-2022, 01:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Odd. TPMS will not cause a no-start... but if it's on the CAN bus and the module is damaged then it could by generating erratic coms. And I am pretty sure it's on the CAN bus. But that scenario would be pretty unique so I tend to agree you have some other issues. What is the running voltage? I also am thinking alternator. I would also love to see some codes too.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I would disable the TPMS with a GAP tool or have the dealer do it if you don't have one and see if it still does the random no start.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:37 AM
Three Wheeling

So it looks like the alternator is toast, or at least the charging system isn't working. It looks like it was working just enough. I was able jump the car, get it started, no issues, no warnings, but the voltage is slowing dropping as sits idling. I don't have a GAP tool, now that I know I can jump it and get it started I can try and get by the dealer, or other mechanic to get the codes.

Quick Reply: TPMS Error - Can't start vehicle