LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer gear warning light flashing 2005 lr3

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 07:33 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i checked the fuses, switch and wires at the solenoid, there all good. I got 12v going to the solenoid

Old 06-28-2020, 06:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Is that not the problem, I think you should only get the volts when switch is selected

Old 06-28-2020, 09:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 731 Likes on 613 Posts

Im not sure about that Globetrotter. Being a solenoid it generally is in one position when energized, another position when not. The switch itself is simply computer driven. So the real question is what state should it be in by default, should it be energized when in high and not when in low, or the other way.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:53 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

DakotaTravler

Does the actuator commands the solenoid to switch to high or low? According to the diagram those 2 circuit wires goes directly to the solenoid and the actuator itself has its own circuit wires unless the actuator is not working causing the tccm not to engage the low/ high range... Have you check your solenoid and see if your changes the voltage when hitting the switch? I'm very curious to know how your operate when selecting the high/low range.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 PM
Camel Trophy

I dont know exactly how it works, hence my point above. I work 60+ hours a week so I won't be able to test mine anytime soon. But I will dig into the tech article and see if they have any testing procedures or go into more depth on operation. Might have some answers there.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Dakota, you would think that the default condition for the solenoid would be the normal mode of the box, so would think that when in high (normally driven this way) the solenoid would be de-energised and then energised when going into low. Hopefully someone has more info on this

Old 06-29-2020, 07:05 PM
Camel Trophy

So the solenoid does not control high or low itself, it controls high/low or clutch control. So I think by default its energized because you are in high or low, then during a gear change its de-engergized to pull the clutch to allow the gear change itself to take place. One the gear change is complete, its energized again.

Annoyingly I have yet to find the actual tech article on the box, but its made by Magna so there should be a very detailed article somewhere. Just not in RAVE (or so I have found yet).

I have attached several things that may be useful from the training manual. Also not the clutch position sensor, possible issue on yours? Make sure all these items are unplugged and plugged in again, as that is often the "fix" for some issues like this.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Hm! It looks like the solenoid, when energised, operates the clutch allowing the gear change. De-energising releases the clutch. The important part is that when installing the solenoid it must be energised.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Camel Trophy

The diagram says the opposite of that.

The energized part, for install, seems to have to do with how its actually installed. But as pointed out in another thread its not really necessary.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Actually found some tech info form LR. So again default is constant 12 v when in clutch position. When in gear change, it energizes. Really what is happening is the t-case electric motor is doing all the work, this solenoid is a helper to facilitate which action the motor is doing. The motor can vary the clutches, just like how the rear diff works (contrary to what people think, it does not simple lock or unlock, it's variable). Or the motor can be used to make the change from hight to low or low to high. The solenoid simply changes how the motor works with the transfer box. Make sense?

(click and zoom image to read)

Quick Reply: Transfer gear warning light flashing 2005 lr3