LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission “fixed” but now I’ve lost sport and manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission “fixed” but now I’ve lost sport and manual mode

After replacing the solenoids, seals, oil, and pan/filter my LR3 is driving perfect EXCEPT I no longer have the ability to command shift.

I have checked the connectors in the center console and they are all fine. Is it possible that the shifter cable could have anything to do with this? Ive run my shifter the rough all of the gears and don’t notice any movement when I shift into sport/manual mode. Does this seem right? I would think that sport/manual is electronically controlled rather than mechanically controlled 🤷🏻*♂️

I know that I had to un-clip the shift linkage to access a heat shield bolt. Perhaps I tweaked it out of alignment? I’m sure the main mechatronic plug is seated correctly, as the transmission moved through all of its gears without any faults.

I do get a fault code if I hold the shifter in either the + or - position, but other than that, no codes.

Anyone have knowledge on this?

Old 11-18-2019, 10:41 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Are the gear numbers and PRND displaying correctly in the message window?

When you move the shift **** to the left for the Sport Mode does the shifter allow you to move it up and down (+/-) ?

Old 11-18-2019, 11:06 PM
Drifting

yes. All gear positions are properly displayed on the dash. When I shift to “sport” the “m/s +/-“ lights up, but the dash still
indicates D. If it shift up or down, nothing happens. If I hold it up or down, it throws a fault code P0826.

Originally Posted by 5280LR3
Are the gear numbers and PRND displaying correctly in the message window?

When you move the shift **** to the left for the Sport Mode does the shifter allow you to move it up and down (+/-) ?

Old 11-18-2019, 11:23 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmmm... not sure what's happening there. It should show command shift in the message window. That code indicates a faulty switch or maybe thinks it is because your holding it there. Does the shifter spring back to center when you release it (in command shift)?

What was the other trick?... oh yeah, try turning on the headlights and then try the sport mode...

Old 11-18-2019, 11:44 PM
Drifting

yes. Springs back to the middle no problem. Headlights don’t change anything. I’ve checked all of the connectors for corrosion as well. The command shift worked perfectly before I tore the transmission apart to recondition it.

the transmission drives perfect through all of the gears with no faults or issues. Just can’t use sport or manual.

QUOTE=5280LR3;709720]Hmmm... not sure what's happening there. It should show command shift in the message window. That code indicates a faulty switch or maybe thinks it is because your holding it there. Does the shifter spring back to center when you release it (in command shift)?

What was the other trick?... oh yeah, try turning on the headlights and then try the sport mode...[/QUOTE]

Old 11-19-2019, 05:48 AM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

When you put the TCM back on the valvebody, are you 100% positive the sensor for the Manual Valve is lined backed up to the manual valve?

Old 11-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Drifting

I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking.

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
When you put the TCM back on the valvebody, are you 100% positive the sensor for the Manual Valve is lined backed up to the manual valve?

Old 11-19-2019, 03:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm watching this thread with interest. I recently changed fluid/filter with AB two piece and now don't have manual + upshift. Everything else works though.

Can jacking the trans up too high damage anything between it and the bottom side of the transmission tunnel?

Old 11-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gervin23
I'm watching this thread with interest. I recently changed fluid/filter with AB two piece and now don't have manual + upshift. Everything else works though.

Can jacking the trans up too high damage anything between it and the bottom side of the transmission tunnel?
Not sure on the transmission jacking. Did you remove your valve body as well, or just do a fluid change? What about your connector sleeve?

i ordered a used shifter off of eBay to see if that brings it back. What’s weird is that my shifter is acknowledging my switch to sport by illuminating the lights, but the dash continues to read “D”. Even with a scan tool plugged in, the selected gear stays at “automatic, not manual shift”

Old 11-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did not remove the valve body, just replaced the sleeve. It was a real pain but eventually got it in with a bit of leverage from a wooden pole. A side note, I got back underneath to make sure the shift cable hadn't moved and reseated the mechatronic connector. That ended up causing the interlock motor in the shifter to go crazy. It was clicking at a high rate. I reseated the connector again which fixed it. I'm starting to wonder if I bent one of the pins in there.

Last edited by gervin23; 11-19-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission “fixed” but now I’ve lost sport and manual mode