LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRANSMISSION FAULT

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:04 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANSMISSION FAULT

HAE A 05 LR3 V8.WAS WONDERING IF THE BATTERY HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS FAULT. WEIRD QUESTION I KNOW BUT THIS CAME UP ON MY PANEL AS MY BATTERY STARTED GOING BAD. WAS OUT OF TOWN AND CHANGED THE BATTERY MYSELF INSTEAD OF USING THE WARRANTY AND THE FAULT CLEARED AND HAS NOT REOCCURRED. THOUGHT I READ THIS SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: TRANSMISSION FAULT

Hope you kept your bad battery, Rover will cover the replacement.
As for your question, yes a failing battery with throw tranny faults due to low voltage.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had so may warning lights come up I just started ignoring them. I live a long ways from a dealer so I was forced to just keep driving. Although the warning lights kept coming (looked like freaking christmas), there were no problems with my LR3.

I also had a weak battery. I am in construction so I often work off the back of my tailgate. If I forget and leave the inside lights on, my battery would drain...and pretty quickly.

Yesterday I finally decided to replace the battery (two jumps this week). Now, like magic...all warning messages are gone.

LR3s dont like weak batteries.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when my battery was going bad i got a tranny fault dealer gave me a battery nc

Old 07-29-2010, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear
Angry Transmisison Failure New Dual Transmission Lockout

I’ve been Rover aficionado for many years. Unfortunately my beliefs of Rover quality have been utterly shattered. It’s my duty to inform all Rover owners with electronic transmissions about a total transmission failure I recently experienced which required a tow to the dealer. Do not let any water get down into the transmission from any source or you will short out the following switches. Control assembly PNUCB500072, $305.96 and Switch Assembly YUD501590WUX, $275.41. Total Parts $581.37. Total Labor $418.95.
This is a known defect that Rover is sweeping under the rug. A glass of water or cup of coffee spilled on the transmission is enough to enable this failure modality. It’s easily prevented by using sealed electric connectors. Rover uses these for all outside connectors but not internal cockpit connections. Bottom line is that the transmissions poorly sealed from the damaging effects of moisture. In a vehicle that cost so much and enjoys a world renowned reputation one wouldn't expect this defect. In my case on a broiling hot day I left the sun roof open. A rain shower developed while I was out on my boat. My LR3 has 82000 mi. Range Rover of America refused to compensate me or provide any goodwill. I've had three Rovers a 1995 LWB Country, a 2001 V8 Discovery SE II and now the LR3. I'll never own another one unless the company admits the problem exists by sending out a service bulletin and recall to correct the problem in older vehicles. Rover could be the next Toyota.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Quit your bitching. You are supposed used sealed containers. We can be at fault if you spill coffee or leave the sunroof open. And the connectors are sealed. Its just that the entire switch gets covered in coffee and water. Listen you go offroad in water and we cover the water that gets in the air suspension connectors. That is fine. But spill coffee and or water and its your fault. Not ours. Hell we have been installing window switches in the older range rovers for years because of the water. The best we can do is move them out of the way but still they will get water.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:05 AM
2nd Gear
Default Rebuttal to Rovin4life comments

First off I don’t know how you can possible think the transmission defect I discussed isn’t a design defect. Most owners don’t want to pay $1000.00 for design mistake. Maybe you do?
Secondly, I have spent the last thirty years as an Aeronautical engineer performing failure analysis on incidents just like this. Please do not reply with anymore insulting or stupid comments. Thank you.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Drifting

I just had to replace the same part, and $560 installed in Ottawa, ON Canada crazy.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM
8th Gear

So. Is this problem caused from something being spilt on the shifter area inside the truck?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Country
So. Is this problem caused from something being spilt on the shifter area inside the truck?
In my case that is true. Any stupid comment like quit your B1t$#1ng, is just that stupid. I've owned cheap cars, and cars more expensive than my current LR3 2007. All of them have been family vehicles, all of them have had ice cream, puppy vomit, soda drinks dumped into the passenger area, including the control consoles. This LR3 is the first vehicle that has ever failed because of such. I call it a design flaw.

Quick Reply: TRANSMISSION FAULT