LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fault

I live in Denver Colorado, a base of 5000ft, with a 2005 LR3 with 112K. When traveling uphill, I get issues shifting from 3 to 4 in automatic it does a big thud/thump and stays in 3. I can get "transmission faults" if I don't intervene and move to manual shifting. If I do get a TF, I pull off at the next exit and turn off the ignition, wait a minute, turn the ignition back on and the fault disappears off the screen - however, the bigger issue does not. Once, you get a TF it appears like the 3 to 4 shifting issue manifests itself more often.

The solution from the dealer is to replace the transmission at a cost of $6,600. I have however noticed something interesting. When it goes to the dealer for some major work - like a new heater core. This occurrence of the shifting issues, 3 to 4, does not happen on the usual mountain sections. I noticed the radio clock needed resetting after the dealer work. However, when I finally get a TF I'm sure it will once more have the 3 to 4 shifting issues on the usual mountain sections. I still use manual on the hills to try and avoid the TF's. This pattern has repeated itself at least twice over the past 3 months. I have the latest Software, I also get the rolling stop issue from this transmission - you pull off the freeway and come to a rolling stop or absolute stop and you get a massive thud when you try and pull away. You can feel the thud building so you can generally avoid it be to adjust the acceleration. The dealer says I have latest S/W so there's nothing that can be done.

Any ideas of the TF's without replacing the transmission?

Old 10-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Transmission on my 2007 experienced the same issue around the same mileage. Probably had original fluid, which should be changed every 60k, according to ZF the manufacturer. LR says something like 150k or 10 years which is BS. First thing is to check the fluid level. There is a very specific process so I recommend you have a shop do it. Don't go to the dealer for this vehicle anymore. Total waste of $ at this age.

Find yourself a good shop that specializes in foreign makes, Jaguar/Land Rover, or maybe Ford (LR was Ford owned at the time and shares many common parts).

If the fluid level isn't the issue, you're looking at a new (to you) transmission. Don't waste 6k on it. Buy a used, lower mileage, one on ebay like this one: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 4.4L THRU VIN 6A380729 FITS 05-06 LR3 - 72K | eBay for much less.

Buy 10 quarts of Ford Mercon SP fluid (same as LR fluid, much cheaper, Ford used the same transmission in the F150 Raptor), a filter kit, and a Mechatronic sleeve kit. Give all this to your shop hand have them do it.

This was the cheapest option I could find, and I've been daily driving, road tripping, and loving it ever since. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Overlanding

Thank you EricTyrrell. I have used your information and sent it to a number of shops in the Denver area. I will let you know the outcome.
What do you think of this link on youtube
for a solution - Steering Angle Sensor Calibration. Is it worth a try as well as the fluid level?
Thanks
d

Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Pro Wrench

First thing I would do is get all diagnostic fault codes from all modules. Some auto parts stores will run scan for free, but some only report standard OBDII codes, and not manufacturer/module specific codes.

That should tell you where to proceed.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Overlanding

Thank you. I ordered one today. I will let you know what I find. I just think it's so weird that's I'm not getting the issues right now - but I'm sure they will be back soon

Old 12-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Any luck with this?

Old 12-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the exact same issues, my LR3 has 155k miles. It slips a bit, jerky gear shifts and the rolling stop thud. I get codes P0741 (Torque converter clutch solenoid) and P0730 (incorrect gear ratio).

I have ordered a replacement solenoid kit, wiring harness sleeve, BMW transmission pan with separate filter conversion kit, some Lucas anti-slip fluid and 7 liters of Lifeguard 6 fluid for a total cost of about $600. I will do the job at home with the aid of Youtube and may write a DIY tutorial if it all goes well.

If that doesn't alleviate the problems, the car will be appearing on SF Bay Craigslist as a winter project.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

idk about this video, it seems kind of fishy. I believe that the steering angle sensor (calibration) can cause faults and such, but I don't know that I buy into the connection between that and a perceived late shift. First of all, how does the guy KNOW that such shifting isn't perfectly normal? Second of all, I've had the steering angle sensor go **** up on me and it resulted in a suspension fault and a cocked steering wheel but I noticed nothing different in my tranny or shift points. Hmmm....dubious.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi, if you still have the original auto-box oil i.e your gearbox has never had a full oil change it might be worth trying some Dr Tranny
Amazon Amazon
It works wonders on the gearbox performance, especially when it's got a few miles on it and still has its original oil. As Eric said the oil in these gearboxes should be changes every 60-70K and not as per LR 150k

Some people will use 2 tubes of Dr Tranny for good measure. If you use it and find it helps I would suggest planning to book it into your nearest LR3 workshop and get a Mega-Flush (full gearbox & torque converter(TC) oil flush and refill) and get some fresh oil in it.

You'll be able to drive for quite a while on the old stuff with the Dr Tranny in it, but if / when the problem returns you should have the Mega Flush carried out soon. Here in the UK a Mega Flush costs about $300 and is worth trying if it saves having to get a new box. Some owners have found that if after Mega Flush the problem returns a few K later, what they really need is a new TC and the gearbox itself is ok. Again a new TC is a lot cheaper than a gearbox i.e. maybe $1200. Worth while looking into.

You may find it helps with the bump when slowing down the accelerating, though I think having the gearbox software update is meant to help there. The steering calibration will not help here at all.

Last edited by Alphamale; 12-13-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Overlanding

Thank you to everyone for the great replies and information. I did use a diagnostic fault codes module to get the codes - I was getting a P0783 3-4 Shift Malfunction appears. If I cleared the code it would buy me some more time before the next fault. However, if you did not clear the code the limp mode happens more frequently and under less stress. houm_wa was right the video above its was misleading.

In the end, I used Angieslist to find a good transmission shop in Denver, CO. Long story short, I got a transmission rebuild for $5500 with 100K Mile Warranty or 3 years. We also managed to get the warranty company to pay $2500 towards the final bill. So new rebuilt tranny for $3000

The truck drives amazing. I've have learnt so many expensive lessons with this LR3, but I love it. I hope now that I can sit back, drive it and enjoy it.

So far this is what I have had done - I know I am crazy in the hole on this LR3 - but i cannot bail now as I've too much invested

Replaced water pump
Replaced left inner and outer tie-rods
Replaced right inner and outer tie-rods
Replaced all drive belts
Replaced left front wheel bearing
Replaced Heater Core
Replaced Rear Drive Shaft
Replaced Sway bar bushes and links
Rebuilt tranny

Quick Reply: Transmission Fault