LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fault

Hello friends from the community
I'm having some issues with my LR3 and really need help to figure out what is going on

ts really important to say that i'm from Brazil and here things cost 5 times more than anywhere in the world and the repair centers usually try to fix the problem with the most expensive way they have.

so i will try to describe what happens with my car and all the symptoms i noticed about it.

During a trip on a high speed highway i had a transmission fault alert on my painel, I stopped the car, shut down the engine, restarted the car and the problem had gone, but i realized that the problem is occurring every time in similar situations and i could get a pattern on where the problems happens

i could realize that on false plans when on a cruise and constant speed and there is a change on the degree of the road (110 KPH on a 5% uphill fast lane) the transmission shifts wrong, instead of a 5th gear it gives me a 6th and the revs go really down , the revs on car is like hiccuping i can feel the engine bouncing. so i tried to go on manual and the gear was locked in 6th and would not change to 5th or 4th that would be the normal once that the car need more power to go uphill and keep the speed. In this situation if i give more power on the accelerator the car will enter on transmission fault limited gears available. i could notice that this problem of "hiccup" on the revs is happening in other situations were it stays on this symptom between 1.5k and 2.0 k rpm driving in the city with speeds around 60 kmh to 80 kmh

another symptom is that in High grade uphills the car shakes a lot before getting power to move up

One important thing is that there is no noise during gear change or any kind of clunky or noticeable gear change, the gears change perfectly and smooth

I took it to a car center and they want to change the entire gearbox of the car for a new one but the cost is almost 50% of my car value and this is not a possibility

on web researches i could find lots of informations from Torque Converter problems to Fuel Injection issues.

Lr3 2.7 Diesel 184k KM

Thanks

Bruno

Old 12-12-2018, 01:05 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

If there is a Land Rover dealership near you, I would suggest getting a software update on your truck. Not saying this is primarily the issue but it is not expensive to do (1 hour labour) and ensures there is nothing wrong from a software point of view.( I swear they used Microsoft...lol) The issues you described sound like it could a torque converter or transmission issue... you should also have the transmission fluid level checked. As there is no dipstick it needs to be checked while the transmission is at 30 degrees Celsius at the fill hole on the side of the tranny. Basically the fluid should be filled till it starts to run out. Not sure if transmission needs to be cycled through gears while doing this.

Hopefully some others will chime in with some suggestions.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on the status??