LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Range Change Not Available

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012 | 03:50 PM
|
4wd High
Default Transmission Range Change Not Available

Hello Rovers! My first post here.

Bought my first used LR3 2005 SE and super excited about it. Love the vehicle and the drive except that "Transmission Range Change Not Available", "Special Programs Not Available" and such faults are hindering its true utility I actually bought it for. On startup I get three System Fault Errors below:

1. Transmission Range Change Not Available
2. System Fault Special Programs Not Available
3. Special Programs Off

I have put in a new battery Interstate MTP-49/H8. Problem persists. Also checked the passenger side fuse box (Fuse 24); it is good. Also the LOW RANGE doesn't light up either when I push it down.

Terrain Response Control Switch is not lighting up, does not even show the NORMAL drive Mode Light - no indication of it being active (Although it is by default). When I rotate the Terrain Response ****, it gives fault errors like "System Fault Terrain Range Not Available".

Suspension, Command Shift, HDC and just about everything else I can think of works except what I mentioned above.

If this has been answered before, please point me to it. I couldn't find it. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-17-2012 | 11:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It's pretty early in the game here, any number of issues could be the problem. I have read about liquid spilled over the switches causing problems. It could also be prudent to check the fuses.

Here are a couple of links with some possible places to start..

Corrosion due to water leakage (a common problem is water leakage)
DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Help...!Transmission Range Change Not Available

Spillage, Corrosion, etc.
DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - no high-low range

I hope that helps get you started.

Old 01-18-2012 | 02:51 PM
|
4wd High

Thanks @unseeonone.

Looks like it maybe the corroded ECU behind the battery, atleast both these posts suggested the same thing in the end.

I did replace my battery a couple of weeks ago and noticed corroded negative terminal, which I cleaned and what not before putting in the brand new one.

I will try to locate the ECU box and see if I can see the same problems there. Will report back with results.

Old 01-23-2012 | 08:38 PM
|
4wd High

UPDATE: As of now the local Land Rover experts ran codes (I haven't seen them) and mentioned that there is a problem with the actuator that triggers the Terrain Response System. They didn't mention blackened stoplight sensor or ECU problem so far - stuff that I expected to be the culprits.

I will request a copy of the codes, repair work (next week) and results once all is said and done.

Old 01-28-2012 | 05:36 PM
Team Owner

Please keep us updated.

Old 01-28-2012 | 07:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Apparently, the corrosion at the negative terminal on the battery is an issue on the LR3, D3's. No idea why at this point, but apparently that leads to corrosion. It would be beneficial to check your negative terminal, and carefully neutralize the corrosion with some baking soda.

Old 02-08-2012 | 06:43 PM
|
4wd High

As of today the car has been in shop for 10 days. The Indy Experts are onto the second part and running codes. Not sure what could be so hard to figure and fix that damn thing by now? Anyway thats the update so far.

Quick facts:
Days car owned: 35
Days car in shop: 12
Days car in my posession: 23 (65% of the time owned)

Old 02-10-2012 | 08:56 PM
|
4wd High
Thumbs up Resolved

And the VERDICT:

The car is back. And the biggest culprit was Transfer case ECU. All systems go after that was replaced and re-programmed.

And yes you have guessed it, the cause was the negative battery terminal corrosion that damaged the area and the TBox ECU. There were couple of minor issues too but not related. They got fixed too. Also an actuator was replaced too.

The mechanic had suspected something else, I was going with the ECU to begin with which ended up being the problem. Thanks to the forum peeps.

The following users liked this post:
kingtechgy (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021 | 03:53 AM
1st Gear

Good day folks. I'm the proud owner of a 2009 LR3 HSE and after washing the engine bay got the same Transmission Range Change Not Available issue. Took out the TCCM cleaned and sweated it, worked for a few weeks then back to error state. I got a new one programmed it but seems the newer versions don't like the older cars so back to the faulty one. Got a decent older identical one from eBay and waiting to install and flash it. If that fails I'll try the actuator replacement as I do have the FSM and been following the recommendations from the JLR SDD.

Will keep you guys posted.

Old 12-29-2021 | 08:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Funny....I got that one today and promptly ignored it because it's so damn cold here in WA and so many sensors are frozen, that I just chalk it up as an anomaly. Is the vehicle behaving differently or is it just an annoying fault?

For me it's the latter.

Quick Reply: Transmission Range Change Not Available