LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission stuck in 6th Gear? Turn the Truck on and off and all is well?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Default transmission stuck in 6th Gear? Turn the Truck on and off and all is well?

I was driving on the freeway in 75 lovely So Cal degrees. I had just driven about an hour North, parked for an hour and was heading back to the office. Traffic started to slow and I noticed that the transmission seemed be slipping. I looked for flashing lights, bells or check engine lights, nothing. I shifted to manual mode, no change. I tried to shift up and down and noticed that the transmission was in 6th gear and won't change. The tranny wasn't slipping, it was just stuck in 6th. Traffic came to a stop and I shifted to neutral and turned the car off and then on again. Issue resolved. Has anyone dealt with this before? I just eclipsed 24,000 miles. Truck has been running flawlessly. I drive to Riverside and back yesterday, about 300 miles and everything was perfect. (I also noticed that the A/C seemed to be warmer on the way back than on the way up today. I can't imagine that the two are in any way related). thanks Phil

2005 LR3 HSE Tonga Green
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE Giverny Green

Old 03-18-2017, 09:24 AM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I would have the Engine and Transmission computers scanned for fault codes. Sometimes a fault can set and give a "default" or "failsafe" mode without turning any warning lights on. If the module didn't command it to stay in a higher gear but the trans was in a higher gear, it would have set a gear ratio or similar code right away and you would have gotten a warning light or message. Since you don't have those, I can only assume the transmission was commanded to do that, which should have logged something in the history as to why.