LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Whining

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 08:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Whining

So I picked up a new to me 08 LR3 with 120K on the clock. The P/O Bought it certified and had a huge folder of service records and receipts. One of which was a Transmission flush done around 80-90k (I will have to verify).

I have noticed a whine that seems to becoming from the transmission. It is RPM dependent, whines while stopped and driving, and sounds just like the classic dodge tranny whine. The transmission seems to shift fine other than it likes to hold first gear when it is cold. Anyone had this issue? I was thinking about checking fluid level, but need to do some research since it seems to be a process on these trannies. Any thoughts would be great.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Changing/flushing the fluid on the V8 is dead easy - using the line to the cooler. You can get about 5L out and in doing that. Then drive for a bit and do it again. You'll replace the whole volume after two cycles. It makes a considerable difference. Basically you're taking the feed from the transmission to the cooler and draining it - takes about 20 secs - then refilling via the same route (you can refill using gravity or using a pressure sprayer set up). I'd start here: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/filos...2Btransmission

Try this and see if it makes a difference. Personal preference but I would only use Lifeguard ZF6. It's perhaps more costly than alternatives but it's the spec fluid and if you plan on keeping the vehicle is a good way to go.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

100% certain its mechanical and not coming through the audio system? I am guessing not, but want to be sure since the audio system on this truck can pick up trans whine, especially in aux mode.

I would also look at the diff, transfer case fluids. Any of those can cause noise too. I just helped repair an LR3 that had a horrific noise when driving, convinced it was the front diff. Just a wheel bearing, it was amazing how much the sound traveled around the drivetrain.

If you need trans fluid, you can use Motorcraft XT6QSP, its identical spec to the overpriced Lifeguard 6 and many LR3 owners use it without issue.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

If it whines while stationary then it must be engine related.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:40 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by loanrangie
If it whines while stationary then it must be engine related.
What about the pump?

Still going to check fluid levels. I was looking at the receipt for the service on the transmission. He eas charged for a new pan and filter and 7 qts of fluid...

Old 12-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Smoedog
What about the pump?

Still going to check fluid levels. I was looking at the receipt for the service on the transmission. He eas charged for a new pan and filter and 7 qts of fluid...
Sounds about right - Check the pan. If it's metal it was definitely changed.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

7 quarts is not a full flush, FYI, thats typical of a pan change though. I think a full flush is 12 or 14 quarts? I forget.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Overlanding

I will crawl under it today and see if I can pinpoint the sound. It really sounds like a tranny whine.

Also the service was done at 111k not 80k like I said. Would it be advisable to go ahead and do a full exchange at this point?

Old 12-20-2020, 01:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Do you mean the transmission fluid was changed at 111K? If so, and you have absolute faith it was done then it's only done 9K on the new fluid so I wouldn't normally bother. However, it's a cheap and very easy thing to tick off your list when fault finding. First, and to DTs point above, I would suggest first sticking the thing on a pillar lift and ruling out the hubs. If the hubs haven't been changed they'll probably be on their last legs at 120K if not completely shot. From experience the best way to figure it out would be to run it with all the wheels off the ground and pinpoint the noise that way. You could also then play hunt the whine since you could listen to the transmission at the same time.