Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick thoughts on the Lucas transmission additive.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Quick thoughts on the Lucas transmission additive.

Since I had to change take the transmission cooler out and lost a bit of fluid during that, I figured I would swap out a few quarts while I'm under there later. I have swapped the fluid out twice, so I figure I have about 70% new fluid in there, so one more time really quick and I will be set. I bought a quart of the Lucas Transmission fix (not for fixing qualities, but says helps with hard shifts, etc). Not sure if I should throw it in or not. I personally think it can't hurt. I'm a fan of Lucas products and maybe I should give it a go. The girl has 127K on her. Just wanted to see if anyone actually used it or not. I can't see it clogging anything up, but figured I should poll the audience before getting it in.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

I would say go for it, followed by what's the worst that can happen. But those are famous last words worldwide.

Seriously, Lucas makes some good products.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IMHO, it is a good product. I have nursed a number of trannys along with it, including a Montero Sport that started slipping at 150K. I sold it at 292K. Bought Disco. Outta the pan, into the fire...

I don't think of it as a preventative product, I think of it as a bandaid. I don't think it will hurt. But it may not make much of a change from a good filter and fluid change.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Sounds good. Most of the rest of the fluid by now should be the 75,000 mile Valvoline Maxlife stuff I used the last two swaps. I was along the same lines of "can't hurt", and not like it is that much more than a quart of trans fluid.
By the way, I have been thinking there totally has to be a better way to swap fluid/flush the transmission, and it will have to do with the transmission cooler. Those lines pop on and off so easy it could work. Check this out:
  1. Create a short adapter with both the male and female ends (one from an old radiator, one from the line).
  2. Put this on the outlet side
  3. Have the inlet side empty into a container for disposal
  4. Have the return side with fresh fluid pumped through
Just an idea! Not sure what pressure it runs through at and such, but just had me thinking there has to be a better way to change the fluid!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I wouldn't use it.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Great minds think alike.

Wifey's Kia needed tranny fluid change. Dealer will drain a quart out on the frame and refill for $150. Tranny has to be pulled to change filter. Mitsubishi transmission, stock filter port on top removed and plugged by Kia, and some sort of internal filter used.

Separated lines, attached clear plastic tubes [forced over tranny lines and connectors] (did not know which end would flow), and put each end into 2 milk jugs. No RTV required. Crank up, get about 1-2 quarts in jug, stop, top off tranny by normal means. Repeat, until fluid coming out looks like what is going in. Then do one more time. I put tranny in gear with e brake on, and wheels chocked, some trannys don't circulate fluid in torque converter is it is not in gear. You'll know based on quantity that comes out.

Because you are between the sump and the main pump, the pressure is low, like a water fountain. Not the high pressure inside the transmission. As you can see, there is no way that radiator could take the PSI that goes on inside a tranny. Lots of tranny extra coolers hook up with rubber tubing and clamps.

Not sure if you would get enough suction for intake of new fluid via return line. Might have to raise that container. For me it was simpler to fill by funnel. Will be doing this next time on the Disco.

And to Spike's credit - if you change fluid and filter, no need for additive.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I bought my friend a Mityvac fluid extractor last year, and I use it sometimes too. It can also be used in reverse to pump fluids back in (even under pressure if needed). Something like that can be used. I should have borrowed instead of using the stupid hand pump for the transmission last time!
And in the end, I didn't put that stuff in tonight. I topped off the transmission with one quart and was done with it. It is 40 degrees, and pouring rain/sleet. Being on my back on the concrete with the water dripping on me (in the garage but was still wet under) was not ideal this evening. Maybe next time when I take a few quarts out.