LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyre pressure monitor system fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015 | 05:21 PM
|
Winching
Default Tyre pressure monitor system fault

2007 LR3 HSE 151,100 miles on odometer
On the way to work in the morning, flashing amber tire symbol: dash showed right front tyre pressure not monitored. Flashing amber light became steady and dash stayed the same.
On the way home in the afternoon, amber light flashing then steady, dash showed tyre pressure monitor system fault. Amber light became steady, dash still showed same new message. Tire pressures all checked, tpms checked at discount tire, they say all wheel sensors are working. Lots of rain in Houston this month and I did wade in some deep water a few times, but certianly not enough to reach the tpms (as it is above the headliner) although i did need to dry out the carpets on the right side.

Could it be a bad tpms antenna? I have removed the plug, it was dry, added conductive grease and reinstalled.

Any ideas where to check next?

Old 01-15-2018 | 09:26 AM
2nd Gear

@Rufflyer. Hope you don't mind me following up this old post. Did you ever get this resolved? I have a 2006 LR3 V8 that has the TPM Fault warning message displayed. I purchased the vehicle in December as my 2006 LR3 V6 has been having some issues after saving our bacon by driving out (along with my 2004 D2) with my family when our subdivision was flooded after Harvey. I'm still displaced so working on the cars is difficult so any pointers to make diagnostics simpler would be welcome. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2018 | 12:16 PM
|
Winching
Default Changed the sensors

rjowenusa,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Rovers.

Like you, Harvey hit us here in Dickinson too. We are close to the bayou, and unfortunately it came up so fast, we lost both Rovers while they slept in the garage. We retreated to the upstairs until the guy in the boat came by and gave us a ride to the bridge on the interstate.

As I recall, I changed all 5 sensors to LR branded units and it fixed the problem. I also pulled the inner fender wells and looked at each antenna and gave the connections a good coating of dielectric grease. I had done that on most connections that may be underwater during my swimming adventures to include the transmission module connector behind the battery and height sensors connected to the upper a arms.

I have a different 2007 LR3 now and have the same problem. I got cheap this time and had them put in the OEM or generic sensors. It fixes the problem but they seem VERY sensitive to temperature changes, and I have to constantly add/subtract pressure in the tires to keep it happy.

I also have an instrument cluster communications error from the TPMS module, it may be more than the sensors this time.

One thing I have seen is:

If it says "check all Tyre pressures" it most likely is one or two tires in question, and the light goes out on its own when the pressures are fixed and you drive for 12 minutes or so.

If is says "Tyre pressure system Fault" or some sort, it is more than 2 tires that are high/low, and requires the fault cleared with the IIDtool.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Oh, and don't forget the spare tire.

Old 01-17-2018 | 01:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default Thank you

Thanks Jeff. I'm getting similar 'other' intermittent issues like the 'instrument cluster communications', 'transmission fault', 'parking break fault' on my other LR3 (it is not reporting issues with TPMS). We had to drive out as we only had a single story home and had nowhere else to go as the water quickly rose after they opened the Barker dam. To the best of my knowledge no other residents got their cars out of our subdivision and were all rescued by the coastguard later the next day. I'm not 100% sure its related to driving in deep water since a week or so later I tried to jump start my step daughters car and it fried the alternator. It started reporting issues after that. Difficult to know where to start and working on them is difficult while displaced. Hope your rebuild is going better than ours! Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2018 | 03:20 PM
|
Winching
Default May not be the water

I did not rebuild, I replaced. Of course any 10 year old LR3 will have it's own set of problems. Some I had before and fixed quickly, others are still too intermittent to find and fix. I may be at home living on the second floor, but the garage is full of contraction material/tools and the driveway is always full of contractors trucks so working is limited to minor repairs or a few hours on the weekends that they are not working on the house so, I have a similar (but not as bad) problem.

One thing I regret is I replaced an HSE with an SE. I did not get the adaptive headlights or nav, and don't miss the lights too much. I don't miss the nav at all because I replaced the last OEM nav with a Garmin in the dash, so no loss there, but this week, I do miss the heated seats and heated windshield. ( the windshield of my new one has wires and it seems to have a harness connection, but no button on the console, so that may be my next project)

I have been in water a few dozen time in the last 4 years, and on a few occasions it lapped over the hood (bonnet?) despite my best efforts to guesstimate the depth before I dove/drove in, and other than a fluid change within a month, and coating the connectors I have had no more than the normal amount of problems

I have seen TPMS tester that will even show battery live for sale and have considered buying one just to have one, especially if it would work on other cars too. But then maybe not.

OH........ One thing that helped me more than anything else to reduce fault lights was I add a second battery. best upgrade I ever made.

Let me know how the TPMS issue gets resolved

Jeff

Old 01-21-2024 | 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

Following this old thread, where exactly do you reset it within the IIDtool? I have this issue currently and cannot for the life of me find it . It doesnt show up when I check under faults.