LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown I/O switch next to Terrain Response

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unknown I/O switch next to Terrain Response

I'm new to all things 4x4 and so far loving my new (to me) LR3. Before I go pulling apart trim panels to trace wires, does anyone know of any common mods that this on/off switch could be for? Nothing seems to happen when flicking it on and off.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

It certainly isn't factory. Common add-ons are Amplifier and extra lights. The wires might not go anywhere. If it has an Amp or Light Bar, they could have removed those items prior to selling, therefore have no function.

The following users liked this post:
disco-matt (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Most common mod would probably be lighting or a winch control, but that certainly isn't a winch control. Who knows with aftermarket stuff... if it doesn't actually switch any of your lights on or off, you may want to look under the hood and see if there are any aftermarket harnesses. Otherwise, you've got some circuit tracing to do.

disco-matt (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default nice location for a switch

That plate the switch is mounted on pops off to provide access to the gear shift lever shift release toggle to get it out of Park for towing etc. You pop off the plate and there is toggle to fool around with - page 176 of the "Driving Manual" in my 2005 LR3 book.

Also within is the manual release for the parking brake emergency release cable. To get the parking brake released when the electrics fail etc you pull out the coin tray and there is a wire rope loop to yank on - page 185 of the "Driving Manual" in my 2005 LR3 book.

Also with the plate removed, you might be able to follow the attached wires to where ever.

As you are now doing, it is also a good idea to learn the "secret" stuff as you will over time, need the info.

Last edited by bbyer; 03-20-2017 at 08:10 AM.
disco-matt (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 AM
Overlanding

Wow guys, thanks for all the suggestions. It certainly isn't obvious, like lights or an amp, but as bbyer suggested, there's plenty of "secret" stuff to learn about so I wanted to make sure I wasn't enabling or disabling something important. Looks like it's time to go digging. It very well could be a dead end. TBD. Thanks again!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like a classic stinger missile activation switch... check behind fog lights for missile tubes.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Default F35P fuse disconnect

For me, I have a similar switch located per the jpg in the link below as an air suspension override to freeze the system at normal height if and when it starts to act up.

I have a second similar switch mounted on the surround of the overhead Rosen DVD entertainment centre to depower it. The DVD is rarely used and on occasion, I discovered the display remains on and eventually drags the battery down.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 Air Suspension fuse 35P ECU Manual Shut Off Switch

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - NAV Radio BlueTooth phone and Rosen DVD

Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That's where I mounted the switch for my aux lights. You're going to have to do some digging!

Old 03-22-2017, 12:33 AM
Overlanding

Oh I must be out of stinger missiles, no wonder the switch did nothing!

bbyer, very solid suggestion on air suspension override. I have noticed about once every 40 miles or so, when stopped at a stoplight, I can see the front end dip down a bit. Seemingly an air adjustment. Is this normal or a sign of it acting up? It isn't nearly the adjustment from low to standard to high, but enough to notice, maybe an inch.

Thanks again guys!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Default dipping, probably normal

For me, it is not every forty miles, but perhaps once a month, I will notice the front rising or falling, (dropping more often than not), after coming to a normal stop, perhaps at a stop light.

It has something to do with the suspension deciding to re-level itself; why I do not know, but apparently normal. As to it moving an inch, maybe or maybe not, as that is difficult to say for certain. It is enough that one does notice the movement however.

For you it sounds more often, so I am not certain just what to say.

Quick Reply: Unknown I/O switch next to Terrain Response